dismiss

Programming Ruby by Dave Thomas

Programming Ruby (2004)

by Dave Thomas

Would you like to go from first idea to working code much, much faster? Do you currently spend more time satisfying the compiler instead of your clients or end users? Are you frustrated with demanding languages that seem to get in your way, instead of getting the work done? Are you using Rails, and want to dig deeper into the underlying Ruby language? If so, then we've got a language and book for you!Ruby 1.9 is the latest version of Ruby. It has many compelling features, including multinationalization support, new block scoping, and better performance. At the same time, the current Ruby 1.8 is still being maintained and is widely used. We're therefore releasing both the Ruby 1.9 version of the PickAxe (this book) alongside the 1.8 version of the PickAxe. Readers can choose the book that matches their environment.Ruby is a fully object-oriented language, much like the classic object-oriented language, Smalltalk. Like Smalltalk, it is dynamically typed (as opposed to Java or C++), but unlike Smalltalk, Ruby features the same conveniences found in modern scripting languages, making Ruby a favorite tool of intelligent, forward-thinking programmers and the basis for the Rails web framework.This is the reference manual for Ruby, including a description of all the standard library modules, a complete reference to all built-in classes and modules (including all the new and changed methods introduced by Ruby 1.9). It also includes all the new and changed syntax and semantics introduced since Ruby 1.8. Learn about the new parameter passing rules, local variable scoping in blocks, fibers, multinationalization, and the new block declaration syntax, among other exciting new features.… (more)

This book is pretty well laid out and keeps things simple, I think that might be as much a testament to the design of Ruby as to Dave's penmanship. Anyway, it is all there and easily accessible and understandable. If you are doing it with Ruby, this is the book to have. The back half is just a listing of the Ruby documentation so... you know, whatever. ( )
  dohouk | Oct 4, 2009 |
Solid how-to and reference book. Dubbed the "Pickaxe" book by Ruby programmers because of the cover photo. Programming Ruby is how I learned Ruby, now my favorite programming language. I can't get past the author's name though. Every time I notice it on my shelf I think, "So that's what he's been up to since SCTV." ( )
  billmcn | Aug 6, 2007 |
This was my first foray into such a dynamic language. For a quick introduction to the language I don't think you can beat this book. After reading this book the biggest concern I have about using a language like Ruby would be the fact that it is dynamically typed. It just seems like this would lead to you not finding out you passed the wrong object to some code until you did a test run. Coming from a C background where we are taught to have the compiler check for errors like this, this is a reasonable worry. It definatly looks like a fun and productive language though. I also liked that fact that the first edition is available online at Programming Ruby.
  jcopenha | Jan 19, 2007 |
An excellent, comprehensive book on Ruby. For experienced programmers, you don't want to wade through all of the beginning programming stuff. Just tell me how the language works and define all of the constructs. This book accomplishes that. It looks to me like the Pragmatic Bookshelf as a publisher is doing top notch work! ( )
  billlund | Sep 14, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,479,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible