Programming Ruby by Dave Thomas

Programming Ruby (2004)

by Dave Thomas

This book is pretty well laid out and keeps things simple, I think that might be as much a testament to the design of Ruby as to Dave's penmanship. Anyway, it is all there and easily accessible and understandable. If you are doing it with Ruby, this is the book to have. The back half is just a listing of the Ruby documentation so... you know, whatever. ( )
  dohouk | Oct 4, 2009 |
Solid how-to and reference book. Dubbed the "Pickaxe" book by Ruby programmers because of the cover photo. Programming Ruby is how I learned Ruby, now my favorite programming language. I can't get past the author's name though. Every time I notice it on my shelf I think, "So that's what he's been up to since SCTV." ( )
  billmcn | Aug 6, 2007 |
This was my first foray into such a dynamic language. For a quick introduction to the language I don't think you can beat this book. After reading this book the biggest concern I have about using a language like Ruby would be the fact that it is dynamically typed. It just seems like this would lead to you not finding out you passed the wrong object to some code until you did a test run. Coming from a C background where we are taught to have the compiler check for errors like this, this is a reasonable worry. It definatly looks like a fun and productive language though. I also liked that fact that the first edition is available online at Programming Ruby.
  jcopenha | Jan 19, 2007 |
An excellent, comprehensive book on Ruby. For experienced programmers, you don't want to wade through all of the beginning programming stuff. Just tell me how the language works and define all of the constructs. This book accomplishes that. It looks to me like the Pragmatic Bookshelf as a publisher is doing top notch work! ( )
  billlund | Sep 14, 2006 |

Ruby is an increasingly popular, fully object-oriented dynamic programming language, hailed by many practitioners as the finest and most useful language available today. When Ruby first burst onto the scene in the Western world, the Pragmatic Programmers were there with the definitive reference manual, Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide.

Now in its second edition, author Dave Thomas has expanded the famous Pickaxe book with over 200 pages of new content, covering all the improved language features of Ruby 1.8 and standard library modules. The Pickaxe contains four major sections:

An acclaimed tutorial on using Ruby. The definitive reference to the language. Complete documentation on all built-in classes, modules, and methods Complete descriptions of all 98 standard libraries.

If you enjoyed the First Edition, you'll appreciate the expanded content, including enhanced coverage of installation, packaging, documenting Ruby source code, threading and synchronization, and enhancing Ruby's capabilities using C-language extensions. Programming for the World Wide Web is easy in Ruby, with new chapters on XML/RPC, SOAP, distributed Ruby, templating systems, and other web services. There's even a new chapter on unit testing.

This is the definitive reference manual for Ruby, including a description of all the standard library modules, a complete reference to all built-in classes and modules (including more than 250 significant changes since the First Edition). Coverage of other features has grown tremendously, including details on how to harness the sophisticated capabilities of irb, so you can dynamically examine and experiment with your running code. "Ruby is a wonderfully powerful and useful language, and whenever I'm working with it this book is at my side" --Martin Fowler, Chief Scientist, ThoughtWorks

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:42 -0400)

"This second edition has more than 200 pages of new content, and substantial enhancements to the original, covering all the new and improved language features of Ruby 1.8 and standard library modules."--BOOK JACKET.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,127,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible