Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Thud! (2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (34), Discworld: City Watch (7)

English (102)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (105)
DESCRIPTION FROM FLAP
Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch admits he may not be the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer - he may ot even be a spoon. But he's dogged and honest and he'll be damned if he lets anyone disturb his city's always-tentative peace - and that includes a rabble-rousing dwarf from the sticks (or deep beneath them) who's been stirring up big trouble on the eve of the anniversary of one of Discworld's most infamous historical events.

Centuries earlier, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, a horde of trolls met a division of dwarfs in bloody combat. Though nobody's quite sure why they fought or who actually won, hundreds of years on each species still bears the cultural scars, and one views the other with simmering animosity and distrust. Lately, an influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens with incendiary speeches. And it doesn't help matters when the pintsized provocateur is discovered beaten to death...with a troll club lying conveniently nearby.

Vimes knows the well-being of his smoldering city depends on his ability to solve the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's secondmost-pressing responsiblity, in fact, next to being home every evening at six sharp to read Where's My Cow to Young Sam.) Whatever it takes to unstick this very sticky situation, Vimes will do it - even tolerate having a vampire in the Watch. But there's more than one corpse waiting for him in the eerie, summoning darkness of the vast, labyrinthine mine network the dwarfs have been excavating in secret beneath Ankh Morpork's streets. A deadly puzzle is pulling Sam Vimes deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear - and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.

My Commments
I enjoyed this book, although it took me a bit to get into it (I didn't read it in less than one day, I'd had it sitting around half read for a while and just finished it). The last half was better than the first half, though. Or maybe I was just less tired. But by the end, this book was quite enjoyable. The books on the Night Watch seem to be my favorite of the Discworld books I've read. I like Vimes and especially Carrot, and the quirky humor is exactly the type I enjoy.

I think my favorite thing about the series, though, is how Pratchett has created a fantastical world that parallels our own, and through this series can poignantly illustrate the absurdities of our lives. The hatred between Dwarfs and Trolls discussed in this book could be allegorical to so many real conflicts of the sort in our world today - conflicts so old that even those involved have forgotten the original reasons for them.

All in all, a brilliantly done book. Very enjoyable. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Fairly funny - if not his funniest. Humane as ever. The Discworld is always interesting and funny. ( )
  jerhogan | Jun 10, 2014 |
Typically good Sam Vimes Discworld story, although it was made slightly confusing by the interludes of the Dark. ( )
  rlangston | Jun 1, 2014 |
Thud by Terry Pratchett is the 34th Discworld novel. A murder has been committed under Ankhmorpork. Meanwhile, Vimes has been ordered to better integrate the Watch.

The murder reveals the underworld vastness of the immigrant society of the dwarves. Vimes in his investigation has a lot to learn about dwarf culture (beyond what Carrot has taught him) and how to best assert the Watch's jurisdiction while avoiding a riot.

The murder is also tied up in an ancient war between the dwarves and trolls, reenacted in the game of thud (which is sort of like a lopsided game chess).

These Discworld books are at their best when they are focused. This one is pretty much an inner-city police procedural with some eye opening looks at race relations.

If you plan to read the most recent Discworld books, namely Snuff and Raising Steam, you must read Thud to understand how Koom Valley has changed everything.

For those of you who are parents and a child forever stuck on one particular night time book, I recommend getting the companion book, Where is My Cow? ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 16, 2014 |
Absolutely one of my very favorites in this series or otherwise! It makes me laugh out loud! ( )
  CallMeChristina | Mar 23, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a reference guide/companion

Him who mountain crush him no
Him who sun him stop him no
Him who hammer him break him no
Him who fire him fear him no
Him who raise him head above him heart
Him diamond

- Translation of troll pictograms found carved on a basalt slab in the deepest level of the Ankh-Morpork treacle mines, in pig-treacle measures estimated at 500,000 years old.
The first thing Tak did, he wrote himself.
Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarfs, or the dwarfs ambushed the trolls. It was far away. It was a long time ago.

But if he doesn’t solve the murder of just one dwarf, Commander Sam Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch is going to see it fought again, right outside his office.

With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding, he must unravel every clue, outwit every assassin and brave any darkness to find the solution. And darkness is following him.

Oh . . . and at six o’clock every day, without fail, with no excuses, he must go home to read ‘Where’s My Cow?’, with all the right farmyard noises, to his little boy.

There are some things you have to do.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060815310, Mass Market Paperback)

Once, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, trolls and dwarfs met in bloody combat. Centuries later, each species still views the other with simmering animosity. Lately, the influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens—a volatile situation made far worse when the pint-size provocateur is discovered bashed to death . . . with a troll club lying conveniently nearby.

Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch is aware of the importance of solving the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's second most-pressing responsibility, in fact, next to always being home at six p.m. sharp to read Where's My Cow? to Sam, Jr.) But more than one corpse is waiting for Vimes in the eerie, summoning darkness of a labyrinthine mine network being secretly excavated beneath Ankh-Morpork's streets. And the deadly puzzle is pulling him deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear—and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:34 -0400)

Once, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, trolls and dwarfs met in bloody combat. Centuries later, each species still views the other with simmering animosity. Lately, the influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens--a volatile situation made far worse when the pint-size provocateur is discovered bashed to death ... with a troll club lying conveniently nearby. Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch is aware of the importance of solving the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's second most-pressing responsibility, in fact, next to always being home at six p.m. sharp to read Where's My Cow? to Sam, Jr.) But more than one corpse is waiting for Vimes in the eerie, summoning darkness of a labyrinthine mine network being secretly excavated beneath Ankh-Morpork's streets. And the deadly puzzle is pulling him deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear--and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible