Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett

Men at Arms (1993)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (15), Discworld: City Watch (2)

Recently added bynewshamwest, private library, twistfox, kentishbookworm, Jon_Hansen, h3dge, LitaVore

English (65)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (68)
I continue my intermittent re-reading of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series with the second of the City Watch books. And, man. One thing I'm noticing as I read through these as sub-series, rather than in publication order as I originally read them, is that I'll pick up the first one and find myself saying things like, "Well, this is still pretty early on, but you can tell Pratchett has already hit his stride, because it's great." And then I'll read the next one and realize that, of course, that wasn't remotely Pratchett at full stride, no matter how great it was, because he just gets better.

That's certainly the case for this one. The writing is just so sharp. And I find myself constantly in awe of how Pratchett can do so many very different things at once. He's funny, in ways that range from groan-worth puns to subtle satiric wit. He also spins a good story, in this case a murder mystery that starts with a dead clown, throws in an interesting twist or two, and ends with a climax that gave me all kinds of feelings. And his social commentary and insights on human nature are always so well-observed and such a surprising but satisfying combination of cynical and genuinely good-hearted. The themes in this one, somewhat depressingly, feel perhaps more relevant than ever, as they include racial prejudice and racial tension made worse by the actions of the police, the corrupting influence of too much power, and the dark side of progress. How Pratchett managed to write so forthrightly about those kinds of things and still make it all feel fun, I don't know, but I'll love him for it forever. ( )
2 vote bragan | Mar 19, 2017 |
This is my sixth DiscWorld book. Pratchett brings more of his tradmark humor, puns and juxtaposition of modern themes and/or technologies to the weird world of the Disc.

This one deals with the NightWatch (Ankh-Morpork's police force), and its retiring Captain. They have to try to solve a mysterious series of murders that involve all the major guilds; Assassins, Thieves and Fools. On top of that, the Watch is dealing with integration issues, what happens when mortal enemies; Dwarves and Trolls, have to work together on the force.

All around a good, fun read.

8/10

S: 12/8/16 - F:12/21/16 (14 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Jan 3, 2017 |
The Night Watch embraces diversity and someone tries to set things up so Cpt. Carrot comes into his royal birthright. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Come on Carrot! Everyone can see you're the long lost heir to the Ankh Morpork throne! But you work for Vimes and Vetenari, and it's probably best to keep your head down and be the best policeman you can be. Too bad the current crime is a real stumper. Someone is killing people with a strange device. A gonne? But who made it? Where did they get it? How did they get it? The Assassin's Guild must be involved, right? But why do the Fools keep popping up? And what do dwarves and troll have to do with anything? This was a good mystery story with a satisfying ending, and I always like hearing about the exploits of Vimes and his Watch. Hopefully he doesn't retire anytime soon! ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
Reread for about the 5th time in April 2015...

This one is a Discworld essential in that it represents a turning point for Vimes, Carrot, and the City Watch of Ankh-Morpork. It's also a damn good whodunnit.

I can't recommend this and all other Discworld books highly enough. The least among them are still some of the most enjoyable stories I've ever read. (I suggest reading Guards Guards before this one, though.) ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Though dotted with good and bad jokes Men at Arms isn't as purely funny as some of the series' earlier installments. Racial prejudice and gun control elicit some uncomfortably close-to-the-bone satire, while the search for the killer and his weapon is almost too gripping. By all means, give Pratchett a try, though you might want to start with, say, The Color of Magic or Guards! Guards! These books can sometimes be hard to find, even in paperback, but they repay any effort expended. I keep my copies on the shelf next to P.G. Wodehouse and Donald Westlake.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Michael Dirda (pay site) (Apr 28, 1996)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corporal Carrot, Ankh-Morpork City Guard (Night Watch), sat down in his nightshirt, took up his pencil, sucked the end for a moment, and then wrote: 'Dearest Mume and Dad, Well here is another fine Turnup for the Books, for I have been made Corporal!!
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061092193, Mass Market Paperback)

Another wild romp through Discworld! Corporal Carrot, a young dwarf, is newly in charge of the recruits guarding Ankh-Morpork. Edward, the 37th Lord d'Eath, has just discovered that Ankh-Morpork, kingless for generations, has a sovereign ruler, who must be convinced that he is, in fact, the King. The fate of Ankh-Morpork rides on a young man's courage, an ancient sword's magic, and a three-legged poodle's bladder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

He's now in charge of the new recruits guarding Ankh-Morpork, Discworld's greatest city, from Barbarian Tribes, miscellaneous marauders and unlicensed thieves. It's a big job-but an even bigger job awaits when an ancient document reveals that Ankh-Morpork has a secret sovereign.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,244,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible