SuperCooperators: Altruism, Evolution, and…

SuperCooperators: Altruism, Evolution, and Why We Need Each Other to… (edition 2011)

by Martin Nowak, Roger Highfield

751160,370 (4)7
Member:qebo
Title:SuperCooperators: Altruism, Evolution, and Why We Need Each Other to Succeed
Authors:Martin Nowak
Other authors:Roger Highfield
Info:Free Press (2011), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Read DD, Your library, NATURE, -- NATURE : biology
Tags:__NATURE, _biology, evolution, (miscellaneous)

Super Cooperators by Martin Nowak

Recently added bydianapeluce, private library, trx, BLUBS, der_steppenwolf, formenti, RamonSuarez, angeladonaggio

I read this because Martin Nowak is working with E. O. Wilson on modeling the evolution of ants and other eusocial insects, a project that occupies one chapter. He got hooked by the prisoner’s dilemma early in his career, and has been elaborating ever since, to illuminate social organization and behavior. The presentation is chronological with personal anecdotes. Alas, not as gripping as I’d hoped, maybe a consequence of coauthor Roger Highfield, a journalist and editor, whose role presumably was to nudge in the direction of popular science. Which is fine and the level I was seeking, but it seemed both technical specifics and individual voice were watered down.

I wrote approximately the above two months ago, and had intended to add more, but memory has faded, my page flags aren't triggering either insight or enthusiasm, and I need to move on. Sorry, I'm not doing justice to the book; it's pretty good, but my mind is elsewhere.

(read 27 Aug 2012)
  qebo | Nov 25, 2012 |

Looks at the importance of cooperation in human beings and in nature, arguing that this social tool is as important an aspect of evolution as mutation and natural selection.

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible