dismiss

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (2011)

by Joshua Foer

Series: Van der Leeuw-lezing (2011)

3,1921142,862 (3.82)117
Having achieved the seemingly unachievable-- becoming a U.S. Memory Champion-- Foer shows how anyone with enough training and determination can achieve mastery of their memory.

English (109)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (112)
I would tell you all the reasons I wasn't overly impressed with this book, but I have forgotten the reasons. Just kidding, it was a decent book, but it certainly dragged on.

I personally would only suggest this book to people who have never read another book on memory or memory competitions before. If you have read other memory related books, this one could be a bit of a snooze. ( )
  Derek3 | Jun 17, 2020 |
Fascinating book about the methods used to train for memory championships. The guy covered it for a publication one year and won it the next! ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
Loved this book. It helped me understand and be kind to my mind, and find ways to really improve my memory in certain areas.

Reminded me a lot of Stephan Fatsis "Word Freaks" as it features a similar group of notable, slightly off-beat characters engaged in the pursuit of mental perfection, even as their interpersonal relationships are often lacking or non-existent.

I especially liked the historical overview of written vs. oral transmission of facts and dates.

The one element of the book that made me a wee bit uncomfortable was his questioning of the legitimacy of Daniel Tammet, author of Born on a Blue Day. I so want to believe he is legitimate.

Gittel | Jan 7, 2020 |
Pros:
Well written and enjoyable even thought the main character, narrator and author at once kind of bugged me in a way that is hard to express.
I've actually enjoyed the fact that while the book contains many interesting characters with various, often contradictory, views on memory, learning etc. it tries to be objective and there is no subjective opinion of the author to be found. Its simply a collection of many facts, stories and views on a certain matter without providing reader with a opinion that he should accept (as I see often in this kind of literature).
The book mixes well raw information, stories of interesting characters and biographical element and the fact that author underwent a journey into the heart of a matter that he writes about makes it a very compelling read.

Cons:
Quite a lot of material is covered in many other books such, sometimes whole chapters are a condense version of different books, such as Mind of a Mnemonist.
I've personally find it somewhat odd that author focused wholeheartedly on the competitive element and absolutely did not try to apply these methods to his own life, job, learning process etc.
While I liked the objectivity of the book, I also felt like that the author did not delve deep enough to provide some unique insight about the matter, but I guess that it is just not that sort of a book and I respect it. ( )
  fm4d | Oct 24, 2019 |
I thought it was pretty inconsistent, between the interesting medical anomalies and the less-compelling "training" vignettes. There were some excellent passages and quotes, but ultimately I was more than ready to finish it by the conclusion. ( )
  Brandon_Smith | Sep 14, 2019 |

Joshua Foerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chamberlain, MikeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, IngeborgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rahn-Huber, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwart, JannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dinah: Everything
There were no other survivors.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Contents:

The smartest man is hard to find -- The man who remembered too much -- The expert expert -- The most forgetful man in the world -- The memory palace -- How to memorize a poem -- The end of remembering -- The ok plateau -- The talented tenth -- The little rain man in all of us -- The US memory championships.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1846140293, 0141032138

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,863,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible