Soul Music by Terry Pratchett

Soul Music (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:IAmAndyPieters
Title:Soul Music
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (1995), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Collections:Fiction, Discworld, Read but unowned

Soul Music by Terry Pratchett (1994)

Dangerous Space by Kelley Eskridge (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For another story about music as a living thing, see the title short story in this collection. (The short story is also freely available for download on the author's website.)

English (63)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (66)
Soul Music is the sixteenth entry into the Discworld series. While Soul Music does stand largely alone, I would recommend starting elsewhere in the series – perhaps with Reaper Man or Guards! Guards!.

Soul Music is closer to two different story lines woven together than one single plot. Things do come together at the end, but the different stories still feel very separate. One follows Susan, the granddaughter of the personification Death. Death’s disappeared, and Susan has to take up his duties as she learns about her heritage. The other story line is about a group of musicians who find a mysterious guitar that leads to rock and roll being introduced to the Discworld.

Of the two stories, I liked Susan’s better. Unfortunately, I feel like she got increasingly shuffled to the back towards the end of the book. Susan’s a terrific character, possibly the best in the book (only Death could give her a run for her money). She values logic and order and is quite vexed by all this “granddaughter of Death” silliness.

“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She’d much prefer to read a good book.”

The rock and roll story line was crammed full of jokes about music. I caught some of them – the guitar maker’s apprentice being named Gibson – but I know there are many more that completely passed me over. If you’re the sort of person who’s really into music, this is the book for you. Just remember that Soul Music was published in the early 90’s, so don’t go expecting any jokes about current musicians.

In the end, only the additions of Susan and Death make Soul Music a better installment to the Discworld than the similar Moving Pictures. However, I certainly recommend Soul Music. It is a good book, it just has the difficulty of being compared to far superior Discworld novels.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | May 3, 2015 |
I'm not sure exactly why I keep reading this series. As I've said in other 'reviews' it's partly because I want to catch up to the first one I read, Going Postal, so I can reread that one in its place. And it's partly because most books have good bits, and some books are pretty good. I think, so far, Equal Rites is probably my favorite.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Finally we meet Susan, the granddaughter of Death. This is filled with references and puns to Rock 'n Roll, I'm sure there were more than I was able to spot. It may be the punniest book I've read yet. As with all Pratchett novels, you have an idea where the author is headed, but you haven't a clue which path he is going to take to get there. I worried a bit that the plot of this book was too similar to Moving Pictures, but in the end it didn't matter to me, I love movies and music and I love seeing them through Pratchett's kaleidoscope vision. The characters in this book spoke to me, resonated, one might say. I have two teenage boys who are determined to be the most famous musicians of all on their awesome bass and guitar. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 20, 2015 |
One of my favourite books when I was a teenager. It does not age entirely well, the jokes do get stale, but after having witnessed the fierce rows between followers of "serious" music and those who prefer music for entertainment purposes within a university of music and drama the bits about the musician's guild rose in my esteem considerably since they're more realistic than you might think. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
Soul Music by Terry Pratchett is the story of a young musician named Imp who journeys from his small mountain town to the big city of Ankh-Morpork hoping to make it big. He meets up with a couple other musicians and they form a band but they have little success. When Imp's harp is accidentally destroyed, his band mates purchase a strange looking guitar for him from a mysterious music shop. Imp seems to have no trouble learning to play this new instrument and it seems to cast a spell upon him, his band mates, and everyone who hears his music and he becomes an instant celebrity. Unfortunately there are those that are not a fan of this new music and will go to great lengths to put a stop to it.

This book was pretty funny, and as always I loved Pratchett's use of humorous imagery and phrasing as well as the hilarious footnotes. I also loved all of the music related puns throughout the book. I'd definitely recommend this book to fans of Terry Pratchett and the Discworld series. ( )
  Kythe42 | Dec 31, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindforss, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is a story about memory.
'Mumblemumblemumble,' said the Dean defiantly, a rebel without a pause.
The hippo of recollection stirred in the muddy waters of the mind.
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE ISIS AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com

OTHER CHILDREN GET GIVEN XYLOPHONES. SUSAN JUST HAD TO ASK HER GRANDFATHER TO TAKE HIS VEST OFF.

Yes. There’s a Death in the family.

It’s hard to grow up normally when Grandfather rides a white horse and wields a scythe – especially when you have to take over the family business, and everyone mistakes you for the Tooth Fairy.

And especially when you have to face the new and addictive music that has entered Discworld.

It’s lawless. It changes people.

It’s called Music With Rocks In.

It’s got a beat and you can dance to it, but…

It’s alive.

And it won’t fade away.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061054895, Mass Market Paperback)

Soul Music is the 16th book in the bestselling Discworld series, with close ties to the fourth book, Mort. Susan Sto Helit is rather bored at her boarding school in the city of Ankh-Morpork, which is just as well, since it seems that her family business--she is the granddaughter of Death--suddenly needs a new caretaker. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:42 -0400)

By the author of The Light Fantastic. This 13th novel set in Discworld tells the story of Death's granddaughter, who inherited the job and grew to enjoy it. And of Imp the Bard, who strove to make his fortune in a rock band, and who was so unlucky that all his dreams came true.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,192,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible