The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Colour of Magic (1983)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (1), Discworld: Rincewind (1)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide [with bonus story 'Young Zaphod Plays it Safe'] by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job: A Novel by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (294)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (315)
Don't start with number one! Rincewind the wizzard is kinda a snoozer but the Pratchett genius shines through. ( )
  jonsweitzerlamme | Nov 28, 2018 |
MAJOR hat-tip to Gezemice because I think that review was exactly what I needed to read at exactly the right time: I've been getting personal recos to try Discworld for years now and just never gotten around to it. I love the idea and by all descriptions, it's right up my alley.

I think I just mistakenly started with this first one and it wasn't the right door for me to enter.

I put my copy down about 50% through and just couldn't do it any more in spite of having heart for the loyal Luggage. I wanted to effortlessly love this series and rip through it. While I was prepared to walk away and consider this a fail (on my part, not Pratchett's), Gezemice's review gave me a starting place to try.

I will update when I do, but if you come here bewildered and disappointed...read that review and give it another go before you depart for good!
  angiestahl | Nov 1, 2018 |
I've arrived at the gates of Discworld, and so far it looks like a pretty inviting place.
The Colour of Magic has a very promising start. It is, of course, funny. Not entirely effortlessly so, the jokes seem a little forced at times, but not that often. Just consistently enough for it to be slightly jarring at times.
Under all the jokes there is also a story, and it begins very well. Strangely enough it seemed like the story just stopped after a while, and the rest of the book felt like a bunch of situations just thrown together more or less arbitrarily. In a way the story itself gives an indication to why this might be, but that didn't stop it from feeling rather disjointed. It was never very hard to follow what was going on, but convincing myself not to keep grasping for a sense of context became a real challenge. Maybe I need to read more of the Pratchett books to get that context.
I do hope Discworld gets better, and I'm sure it does. The universe is very promising, and the style of writing alone is enough to induce constant smiling with occasional spells of chuckling. I did like this book, but I'm also a little disappointed for my main takeaway from The Colour of Magic to be "the next book might be very good!" ( )
  clq | Oct 31, 2018 |
As an avid Discworld fan, I would like to warn every new reader of Discworld: do not start Discworld with the Color of Magic! This is the worst book in the series, and by a large margin. Start with [b:Mort|386372|Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)|Terry Pratchett|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388181166s/386372.jpg|1857065] or [b:Men at Arms|400354|Men at Arms (Discworld, #15; City Watch #2)|Terry Pratchett|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1388215150s/400354.jpg|819071]. You can come back to this when you gained appreciation for Pratchett’s genius in his later works.

Pratchett throws down a whirlwind of ideas about this crazy magical world. Many are brilliant. There are also lots of amusing descriptions, sentences, worlds turned on their heads (sometimes literally), parodies of fantasy and sci-fi tropes, even a reference to StarTrek. There are way too many of them, rattled off at a crazy pace, for each of them to take hold and be explored in any depth. So this book reads like a catalogue of every mad idea Pratchett had about Discworld, rather than a book with a coherent plot or characters.

Except for one: the Luggage. I absolutely adored the Luggage and its dogged determination, its loyalty and absolute protection of its master. Brilliant. As far as the rest, we can take comfort in the fact that Pratchett indeed ended up using this as a catalogue of ideas that he expanded into full books, exploring each in very satisfactory detail.

So if you started here, and you felt like WTF - don’t despair. Move on to the Light Fantastic - it is better. All the rest are better. Don’t give up. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Read all of Discworld in order? COMMENCERER! ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible