dismiss

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Colour of Magic (1983)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (1), Discworld: Rincewind (1)

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
Recently added byDarasuum, IggleMustang, turmacar, kgladfelder, Serrana, private library, StefanTheLawn
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)

English (315)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (337)
discworld number 1 ( )
  lilibrarian | May 18, 2020 |
Of the Pratchett books I've read, this is my least favorite. I can see where his style has grown since this book, but if it was the first one of his I'd read, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't have bothered with the rest of the series. Not my style writing or humor. However, I did enjoy enough of it (in bits and pieces) to finish the book. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
The first book in Discworld creates a lot of quirky world building to the universe setting the tone of the series. The story is about a tourist being taken around the country by a lackluster wizard. The story is amusing, but many elements of humor miss the mark. The plot is forgettable and really is more of a book to set up the series. It is an enjoyable read but likely not necessary for people not planning on reading the entire series. ( )
  renbedell | Mar 25, 2020 |
This is an entertaining, enchanting, humorous and mind-boggling introduction to the Discworld. You can tell this is an early work from Pratchett - the writing isn't as good as newer works and the Discworld is still a work in progress. But this is still a lovely entertaining book. In this first Discworld novel, an ineffective wizard (Rincewind) that is very good at surviving, a naive tourist (Twoflower), and his many legged luggage (made from sapient pear wood) have many adventures with such things as the "fascinating" denizens of Ankh-Morkpork, dragons that only exist if you believe in them, barbarians, trolls and the edge of the Disc. This book ends on a cliff-hanger so having the next book (The Light Fantastic) at hand is recommended.

The cover art of my old much-loved paperback has the delightfully crazy art of Josh Kirby. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
Updated Review:

On a second read, I realized how brilliant this book is. Bumped up a star because I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It may not have made me laugh or even chuckle, but I had a smile plastered on my face throughout the journey.

If you expect this book to be hilarious or fast-paced, you will be disappointed. It may not have the best plot and it certainly doesn't show any character development, but it is not to be compared with the typical fantasy books. Recommended if you like a unique (and possibly silly) world-building, witty lines and amusing characters.

Original Review:

Like many others, I too began reading Discworld series because Sir Terry Pratchett is said to be the Douglas Adams of Fantasy. I kept comparing this book with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (H2G2) and found that it is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike H2G2. I might have enjoyed it more if I didn’t keep thinking about H2G2.

What I liked the most about this book is the author’s imagination. A lot of things were amusing and intriguing. I loved the writing style, the characters, the dialogues, the magical entities and the entire structure of the Discworld.

There were two disappointments though. First, it was not as amazing as H2G2. However, this is supposed to be one of the weaker books in the series, so I’ll make up my mind about the series after reading a few more Discworld books. Second, the pace was pretty slow in the beginning, but it did pick up speed later.

The last couple of pages were brilliant. If you are impatient, I would say the last quarter of the book is well worth crossing the initial chapters. The second book in the series ‘The light fantastic’ is much better and it begins from the point where ‘The Colour of Magic’ ends. That is another good reason to read this book. ( )
  anushanarasimhan | Feb 5, 2020 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,384,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible