Colour Of Magic by Terry Pratchett

Colour Of Magic (original 1983; edition 1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:pyrart
Title:Colour Of Magic
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:BANTAM (1990), Edition: later printing, Paperback, 283 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fantasy

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (246)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (264)
Splendiforous. A rousing tale of magic and hilarious misadventure. Pratchett's writing is airy and very easy to read and there are plenty of jokes there for even the most discerning fantasy nerd. Overall, pretty amazing. I'll have to pick some more Discworld novels in the near future. ( )
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
After reading Wyrd Sisters, I decided to read the Discworld series in chronological order. This book was amazing, although it seems that Sir Pratchett hadn't quite hit his stride yet. The characters are believable, and utterly hilarious. My favorite character was The Luggage (what I wouldn't give to have my own Luggage!!), closely followed by the naive and utterly optimistic Twoflower. One of my favorite things about this book is that it ended on a literal cliffhanger. ;) ( )
  silva_44 | Mar 18, 2016 |
A friend of mine recommended this series years ago, saying what an amusing and crazy series it was worth checking out with some British humor thrown in. Recently, I finally decided to check it out and I wasn't disappointed in being entertained.
This book was entertaining, amusing, at times off the wall and very much worth reading. At times the writing did remind me of reading Douglas Adams' Galaxy series such is making no sense at times and British humor but also different with a mostly medieval world, Magic and little to do with Earth other than a brief glimpse of an alternate dimension.
This fascinating series revolves around Discworld which is on the back of a giant turtle floating through space and there's glimpses of an elephant too. Rincewind is a wizard who was kicked out of the magical school of Unseen University for managing to take one of the eight big powerful spells into his brain. Eight is a powerful number and also seen as something not to be talked about nor thought of.
As Rincewind is traveling through the town of Morpork, he chances upon a barbarian whose name is Twoflower from Bes Palargic and speaks Trob due to learning it from some beTrobi sailors at his home port. Twoflower is a tourist who one day became bored from working at his job and decided he wanted to see the world along with his mysterious wooden chest known as Luggage who really is not to be messed with.
After much reluctance and a threat thrown in from the Patrician, Rincewind finds himself trying to help give Twoflower a tour of the area. What starts out as a seemingly harmless way of entertaining Twoflower who is more than willing to pay his way, turns into the Trio fleeing for their lives.
They find themselves on many interesting adventures that involve dragons that disappear when their riders go to sleep, Death trying to get his way, Gods playing a form of chess with humans' lives, the fear behind the number eight, seeing the literal edge of the world and some heroes thrown in to the mix.
This book was a joy to read and I think Pratchett was a brilliant writer. I can see why his books continue to be so popular and I'm so glad it's such a long series of books so I can savor this hilarious and fascinating world of Discworld. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series and find out what happens to Rincewind, Twoflower and Luggage. ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
What a HOOT! In this first installment of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, we are introduced to Ricewind, a wizard of lowly magical talent. When he meets a tourist - and his rather interesting luggage - life will never be the same. It's a "game" changer for Ricewind and soon all sorts of mayhem runs rampant...along with the luggage. Oh...and there be dragons! This all takes place on a disc-shaped world, balanced upon four elephants standing on the back of a giant swimming turtle...in space. Weird? Yeah, that was my first thought, too, but you must give this a chance! Here's a visual that helped me wrap my brain around it:

src>

After coaxing my inner Supernerd out of the closet, I really had a blast reading the story. It's meant to be "out there" and silly and fun with outlandish circumstances, crazy characters, and humorous dialogue that kept me grinning. I had to wonder if Pratchett planned ahead, or if he just let his inner child flow? It really is quite brilliant. How I missed this series when it began (nearly 30 years ago...ACK...unlike Discworld, time is relevant here) can only be blamed on taking life far to serious. I really enjoyed this book and hear things just get better and better as the series progresses. I'll enjoy catching up!

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible