The colour of magic by Terry Pratchett

The colour of magic (original 1983; edition 1985)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:mrund
Title:The colour of magic
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:London : Corgi, 1985.
Rating:*****

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (264)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (282)
3.5 stars. It was super entertaining, but there was some repetitiveness in it that kind of bugged me. Still a great book :) ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
The first book in the Discworld series, this one is often disparaged as "not my favorite" or "I didn't like it much" or "don't start with this one." It is an adventure of Rincewind the wizard as he strives to outwit Death and every other creature out to get him. Told in four parts, each of which is a parody of classic fantasy tropes, I can see why the appeal isn't there for some folks. Broad humour is not for everybody. Also, it is clear that this is a first novel in a series. Several of the recurring characters are not fully formed into the familiar ones we know and love.

I enjoy this book very much. I love Rincewind's refusal to give in to Death, and Death's resignation over his Fate. Only someone who clearly loves fantasy and adventure could write such a parody of it. Having read some H.P. Lovecraft heightened my enjoyment of the second story, as I'm sure reading Fritz Leiber and Anne McCaffrey would increase my enjoyment of the first and third stories. I walk away amazed at how much of the Discworld and its funny characters are fully formed in this, the first novel.

Beware the cliff-hanger at the end. ( )
3 vote MrsLee | Jan 8, 2017 |
I heard this first Discworld effort wasn't Pratchett's best, and I have to agree with that. It's certainly decent, but I look forward to moving onto some of the supposedly better later novels. ( )
  VersionPerson | Jan 8, 2017 |
The Colour of Magic is the first book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I have been reading and enjoying Discworld for many years now and this is the first time I've read the very first book. I understand why people recommend starting the series elsewhere and coming back to this one later. It reads as a series of four connected short stories instead of one cohesive novel. It is not a bad place to start your Discworld experience, it just isn't indicative of what the rest of the series will be like.

Things start off innocently enough. Rincewind, the Disc's most incompetent wizard, becomes an involuntary tour guide to the Disc's first tourist, Twoflowers, and his luggage. Forced to flee Ankh-Morpork to escape a city wide fire, they begin a traveling adventure across the Disc. Twoflowers is determined to see as much of the Disc as he can and Rincewind is determined not to die along the way. Hilarity ensues.

It was great to finally read the beginning of the series. No, it is not Pratchett's strongest work, but it definitely shows the promise of what Discworld will become in future novels. Each story gets progressively better and they are all quite amusing. There are several jokes that require prior knowledge of classic fantasy tropes to fully understand the humor. The absurdity of chain mail bikinis, adding exclamation points to names so they seem exotic and gods using mortals as game pieces to name a few. I hear The Light Fantastic directly follows this one as a sort of duology, so I plan to pick it up later this year as this book ends in a literal cliffhanger. ( )
  Narilka | Jan 4, 2017 |
This was a fun read with many "groaner" type funny allusions, which I happen to like. However, it does seem a little light on substance so I'm hoping later books in the series will get meatier. Nevertheless, in a world of limited reading time, this first book in the series was good enough to motivate me to seek out others from this series. A clever, humorous pseudo-fantasy. I think my fascination with travel literature and the role of the tourist in culture has something to do with my enjoyment of this book. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |

Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,618,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible