The Colour of Magic (Discworld) by Terry…

The Colour of Magic (Discworld) (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:alu042
Title:The Colour of Magic (Discworld)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Adult (2005), Paperback
Collections:Paper, Your library (inactive)
Tags:discworld, fiction

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (268)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (286)
I wanted to love it. In the end, I liked it ok. Given the vast admiration for Pratchett, plus his apparent coolness, plus the fact that I enjoyed Good Omens, I may have set my expectations a bit high. I'd sum this up as an amusing little book that I probably won't go back to. I'll try out a few more Discworld books for the sake of giving the enterprise a fair shake, and maybe I'll warm to the place. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
Huh. I liked it okay, but I'm not blown away by it. The story was fun, but the characters aren't particularly likeable (except for Death, to whom I became quite partial). I'm afraid that the entire series may suffer from my own over-exposure to folks raving about it. We'll see how it goes. ( )
  electrascaife | Mar 16, 2017 |
Had I known what a wonderful and hilarious book this was, I would have read it years ago. It is full of charm and humor and a lot of subversions of the classic fantasy fiction tropes. Plus, there's Rincewind, who has become my favorite character in the book, and hopefully one that will continue to appear throughout the Discworld series.

I've already got my hands on a copy of The Light Fantastic; I'm looking forward to continuing my Discworld education ♥ ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
While this is a reread for me it's the first time I've listened to the audiobook. I loved listening to it, I think the characters that Terry Pratchett has come up with are wonderful, and having them come to life through a narrator in an audiobook just made them better. The only issue was the looks I got from my family each time I laughed out loud while listening to the audio through headphones. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Feb 18, 2017 |

Many many years since I read this, and I had forgotten a lot about it. I remembered of course the Lankhmar / Lovecraft / Pern structure in a divine D&D framework, and most of the Ankh-Morpork scenes. I'd forgotten about Hrun the Barbarian, who of course adds Conanity to the middle two sections. The last section, "Close to the Edge", is largely Pratchett's own imagination and shows him already into the politics of technology, but still developing the comfort with his own creations that later books displayed.

There are various schools of thought about where to start reading the Discworld books. Back in the day, of course, we had no choice as this was the only one out there. I think that genre fans who for some reason have not previously read Pratchett will still find this a good place to start. I can see that it might have less appeal for those readers less familiar with the fantasy genre. It was good to return to it. ( )
  nwhyte | Feb 4, 2017 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,471,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible