The color of magic : a novel of Discworld by…

The color of magic : a novel of Discworld (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:fireflygirl01
Title:The color of magic : a novel of Discworld
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:New York : Harper, 2005.
Rating:*****

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (220)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (237)
I enjoyed this! Looks like I'll be reading a new series now :) and a long one at that. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Not really my sort of book. ( )
  gwhittick | Jun 25, 2015 |
Triffick book!

It actually has chapters. Four big long ones granted, but chapters none the less. The novel basically divides into two main sections though.

The first, and this is the bit that made me laugh out loud the most, is basically a satire on tourists and their ism. I'm sure I was laughing at jokes I wouldn't have got when I first read it as a teenager.

The 2nd part of what we might laughingly call the plot is basically a series of comic set piece scenes satirizing the fantasy genres. The ironic thing being that the size of Pratchett's imagination and the skill at which he visualises it actually raises the standard of this novel above the drivel we are usually fed by the genre.

There's no sense of strain to the writing. I never once found myself forcing a grin because I just don't think Pratchett's trying to be funny - he just is. ( )
  Lukerik | Jun 12, 2015 |
Okay so I love Rincewind. He is like the best wizzard I have ever read about. Yeah you're right, there ain't actually that many wizzards floating around are there. But, there are a lot of wizards and he is better than all of them. This book is amazing. Rincewind lives through every single situation put to him. The tourist Twoflower and his luggage (with thousands of tiny legs) (soon to be Rincewind's luggage) are the best companions you could ever imagine.
I think as a pair Rincewind and Twoflower were BRILLIANT. I mean come on somebody who is for ever in the way of danger (in the literally sense, literally stood in dangers way) and somebody who want to see absolutely every single god damn thing on the disc, make a pretty hardcore team. This is Pratchett at his best, there is no denying that. On their journey, they see a lot and when I say a lot I mean are in the way a lot. Picture every bad that could happen and it happens only with things that are impossible. They get caught by a tribe that flies on imaginary dragons, they get caught in tavern brawls, they set fire to Ankh Morpork, who can say just this alone? Then add more. He even gets stalked by DEATH (as in the character) ha ha. They live through it all. In fact no matter how dopey Rincewind is, he always, always sorts it out. While others take credit. And I don't even need to mention the AMAZING covers. Definitely a must read if you are new to discworld. Then again why don't all you discworld fans put it back on your to read lists? ( )
  darceypaige | Jun 6, 2015 |
I had fun reading this first book in the Discworld series but I am glad that a friend started me off elsewhere in the series. I like Pratchett's humor but it wasn't fully realized yet in this one. The bits about the Counterweight Continent were pretty good though! I especially chuckled at the confusion Rincewind showed about inn-sewer-ants. The best part was the Luggage -- if you have read this, you know what I mean & if you haven't, I can't do it justice with a description. ( )
  leslie.98 | May 30, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Callori, NataliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible