The color of magic : a novel of Discworld by…

The color of magic : a novel of Discworld (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:fireflygirl01
Title:The color of magic : a novel of Discworld
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:New York : Harper, 2005.
Rating:*****

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

Recently added byAlexiea, JMlibrarian, private library, Caramin, leehaf182, walksaloneatnight
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (212)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  Polish (1)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (228)
A rollicking grand ride. Delightfully witty, enchantingly imaginative and utterly addictive. ( )
  swati.ravi | Feb 9, 2015 |
This the first book in the Discworld series. It just was not my cup of tea. It seemed disjointed and things seem to arbitrarily happen. I perhaps would have enjoyed this book as a teenager but nowadays I need a bit more structure. I was not enamored with any of the characters and I think in the future I will leave the Discworld to others. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 27, 2015 |
Description: The beginning of the hilarious and irreverent series that has more than 80 million copies worldwide, The Color of Magic is where we meet tourist Twoflower and wizard guide Rincewind, and follow them on their always-bizarre journeys.

A writer who has been compared to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, and Douglas Adams, Sir Terry Pratchett has created a complex, yet zany world filled with a host of unforgettable characters who navigate around a profound fantasy universe, complete with its own set of cultures and rules.

Thoughts: I have been wanting to read Discworld for several years and just never could manage to take the plunge. I was sure I would love it but it's SO MANY books. I'm not disappointed now that I've finally started and look forward to many hours of happy exploring.

I was warned (here and on many blogs across the net) that The Colour of Magic was not a very strong example of the Discworld books. It is stressed in many many places that reading the books in chronological order, starting with this one, isn't really recommended. So I was nervous.

Now I'm just thrilled that the books in my future must be really stupendous because I really quite enjoyed this weird story of Rincewind and Twoflower. It wasn't perfect, for sure. It started a little too abruptly and jumped forward a bit too much going into the last section. There were episodes that I would have liked to play out a little more in depth. But it's just so cool. Weird and funny and creative. This probably won't prove to be my favorite installment if everyone is to be believed but I am really happy that this is where I started. Can't wait to read more.

Rating: 3.67

Liked: 4
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 4
Writing: 3.5
Auden scale: 3

https://www.librarything.com/topic/185456#5024498 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 25, 2015 |
Several years ago I picked up my first Terry Pratchett novel and immediately fell in love. Fast-paced and funny, but with a lot to say, this was my kind of writer. Since then I've read probably 15 from the Discworld series, but never in order. this winter i decided to start the beginning and read my way through.

I don't know what I thought the first one would be like, but I was surprised by how it is all here from the very beginning: the humor, the complete view of the world, and even Death, misunderstood as always and talking in ALLCAPS. Tremendous. Can't wait to read the rest of them. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
This was not an easy book for me to read. Despite it being only 210 pages, it was hard for me to get into. This was the first book by Pratchett that I have read (I have read a co-authored book between him and Neil Gaiman, which I loved). He has his own very distinct writing style...but it wasn't one that I will be dying to read again.

1 vote csweder | Jan 8, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Callori, NataliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:25 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,710,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible