The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld…

The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel (original 1983; edition 1985)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:TigerBeast79
Title:The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (1985), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 283 pages
Rating:***

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (272)  French (6)  Spanish (6)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (290)
I feel like I would get the jokes more if I were more familiar with the fantasy tropes he is parodying. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Being the first Discworld book, The Color of Magic is vastly different in many ways from the books that follow it. The characters of Rincewind and Twoflower are not as well defined as they would later become in the series and the Discworld itself is also still an idea in its infancy.

This doesn't mean that Sir Terry Pratchett's humor is any less hilarious though. The dialog is witty and filled with puns and innuendos that you might only catch on a second or third read-through, and the story is pretty well written from beginning to end.

Reading The Color of Magic after the passing of Sir Terry Pratchett really makes me both sad and happy, sad that such a wonderful writer and person passed away, and happy that he gave us one of the most enduring universes in all of literature. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
This is my first experience of the Discworld series, and it's a promising start. I loved the world itself and many of the characters, but the best thing about this book is the humour. The plot is a bit sketchy, but I was willing to overlook that to get to the funny bits. I'm looking forward to reading more! ( )
  mooingzelda | Jun 12, 2017 |
2,5 ( )
  alejandroseneca | May 18, 2017 |
I wanted to love it. In the end, I liked it ok. Given the vast admiration for Pratchett, plus his apparent coolness, plus the fact that I enjoyed Good Omens, I may have set my expectations a bit high. I'd sum this up as an amusing little book that I probably won't go back to. I'll try out a few more Discworld books for the sake of giving the enterprise a fair shake, and maybe I'll warm to the place. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,240,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible