The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld…

The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel (original 1983; edition 1985)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:TigerBeast79
Title:The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (1985), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 283 pages
Rating:***

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

Recently added byprivate library, pints1ze, Darraroche, drudmann, TempleCat, ScoutJ, nasrat, Nawesari
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (215)  French (6)  Spanish (5)  Polish (1)  Romanian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (231)
I did read and enjoy this several years ago, but I need a Luggage fix after reading a couple of dozen other discworld books that didn't give me as much joy as this did.
--------------
Finished. For some reason these have less appeal as I get older, or read more other books, or whatever. I actually took a star off this upon this reread. :shrug: ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I think the my reaction to this book is necessarily coloured by the books that come after. In itself it's not a bad book. It's a send-up of fantasy with some quite charming characters and some funny parts. It suffers a little from the sense that the protagonists are propelled from random tragedy to random tragedy as a way of showing us the world that Pratchett was clearly developing. This is alright but it means the books lacks a kind of centralised plot and instead takes the form of a string of almost unrelated incidents. And, as I said first, it's impossible to read this book without considering where it's going to end up. It isn't a bad book in itself but it is a first book and it gets so much better. But I suppose that's a comfort to all potential writers, just look how much better Pratchett gets. ( )
  TPauSilver | Mar 14, 2015 |
The Color of Magic was the first book published in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series, but I do not recommend starting with it. If you’re interested in reading the Discworld books, I would suggest picking up one of the later novels – Guards! Guards!, Going Postal, or maybe Small Gods.

The Color of Magic has always been my least favorite book in the series. It is clearly an early book – Pratchett is just getting his feet as a writer and there are many inconsistencies with later books. There is very little plot or drive, and it consists mainly of the main characters careening from one situation to the next.

The Color of Magic is primarily a parody of other fantasy novels. For instance, there’s an entire section parodying the Pern books. While Pratchett retains an element of parody throughout the series, the latter books add to it with better plot and characters and most of all, an intrinsic sense of meaning.

When rereading The Color of Magic, I don’t see much that makes it stand out from other humorous 1980s fantasy novels. Now that I’ve started playing, it actually reminds me a bit of Dungeons and Dragons. However, it is funny and has some good lines, such as:

“I assure you the thought never even crossed my mind, lord.”
“Indeed? Then if I were you I’d sue my face for slander.”

Besides Rincewind, the protagonist and a failed wizard, and Twoflower, a friendly and idealistic tourist, the other characters come off as forgettable and flat. Even these two don’t have the depth they gain in latter books.

I do wonder how I would judge this book if I hadn’t read the others in the series. Would I like it more, not comparing it to the others? Or would I dislike it more, not knowing that this is the seed a great series grows from? Either way, I would not recommend The Color of Magic to anyone looking to start the series. Fans of the series, however, will find it interesting to see how this parody novel grows into the series we all love.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
2 vote pwaites | Mar 13, 2015 |
A rollicking grand ride. Delightfully witty, enchantingly imaginative and utterly addictive. ( )
  swati.ravi | Feb 9, 2015 |
This the first book in the Discworld series. It just was not my cup of tea. It seemed disjointed and things seem to arbitrarily happen. I perhaps would have enjoyed this book as a teenager but nowadays I need a bit more structure. I was not enamored with any of the characters and I think in the future I will leave the Discworld to others. ( )
  nebula21 | Jan 27, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Callori, NataliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020710, Mass Market Paperback)

The Colour of Magic is Terry Pratchett's maiden voyage through the bizarre land of Discworld. His entertaining and witty series has grown to more than 20 books, and this is where it all starts--with the tourist Twoflower and his hapless wizard guide, Rincewind ("All wizards get like that ... it's the quicksilver fumes. Rots their brains. Mushrooms, too."). Pratchett spoofs fantasy clichés--and everything else he can think of--while marshalling a profusion of characters through a madcap adventure. The Colour of Magic is followed by The Light Fantastic. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:25 -0400)

A slightly disorganized and somewhat naive interplanetary tourist named Twoflower joins up with a bumbling wizard and embarks on a chaotic voyage through a world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,190,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible