The Color of Magic: A Discworld Novel…

The Color of Magic: A Discworld Novel (Discworld Novels) (original 1983; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

17,220338175 (3.75)603
On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
Member:paulmorriss
Title:The Color of Magic: A Discworld Novel (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper Perennial (2005), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)

English (313)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (335)
I wasn't sure what to make of this series before I read it. I worried it would be juvenile or zany in a way that might embarrass more than entertain me. I was pleasantly surprised. Terry Prachett doesn't go for the laugh out loud hysterical jokes (in this, the first book of the Discworld series, anyway) but his voice is entertaining and his ideas are funny in a gentle way.

What surprised me most of all was how poorly written this book was and how much I didn't care; just goes to show the power of a likeable voice. That is the real draw to this read. The characters were amusing but not filled out enough to really care about, the plot is all over the place and not particularly clever, but the very present narrator is quickly engaging and fun to read. Everything from the humorous descriptions of setting to the by-the-bye explanations of how Discworld operates are what makes this story worth reading. I don't know if the characters in this novel carry over to the next books in the series and I don't care. That's how likeable Prachett's voice is (and the lesson I could learn most from him as a writer). ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |

Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
It's was all right. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for zany satire/farce. I liked the Turtle though.

I know Pratchett has many adoring fans, and I read this on one such fan's recommendation. If another Pratchetteer suggested a better one in the series, I would consider reading it too. But I'm not inclined to seek it out myself.

Does that count as a review? ( )
  ralphpalm | Nov 11, 2019 |
The two stars aren't as bad it looks; I just simply found The Color of Magic ok. ( )
  treehorse | Nov 7, 2019 |
not sure what to think about this book. Maybe it's because of the translation, but still haven't found the correct feeling for it. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,256,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible