dismiss

Moving Pictures (1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Industrial (1), Discworld (10)

A zany bunch of futuristic actors--Victor, the eternal student; Ginger, the milkmaid; Dibbler, the sausage salesman; and Gaspode, the talking dog--embarks on an epic movie project.

English (83)  Spanish (3)  Polish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (90)
Pratchett is always a good laugh, but some of this dragged a bit more than I cared for. ( )
  misterebby | Jul 5, 2020 |
In a world gone mad
one dog strives to save the day
but first, sausages. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
This is a re-read and I'm upping my rating because, well, let's face it: this is the start of a brand new chapter in the Discworld and it follows the main style that I have grown to love over all the rest of the books. I was slow to love them at first, but as I continued to see Progress raise its great lumbering head above the trash heaps of Ankh-Morpork (from inside the river, of course,) I can't help but get all bubbly inside.

Memorable moments, and there are a lot of them going well beyond this review, include a certain wild dash of the head magicians, a certain talking dog, Mr. Cut-Me-Own-Throat, and of course the clever use of the old Greek "anamnesis".

And of course the lambasting of old-time Holy Wood. :) It's time has come.

(Sounds rather ominous, right?)

Quite funny through and through, too. And of course, it only gets better from here. The weight of the Discworld about to break the backs of a few elephants and a turtle. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Hard to believe that the same author who wrote the excellent Guards Guards and Mort wrote Moving Pictures. If there is a poorer Discworld novel i am yet to read it.

A slow, ridiculous and not even that interesting plot. Tried too hard to be clever. As some others have said 'a slog'. Expected better from Pratchett which is usually of a very high standard. I am going to call this an early career blip. Some of the later novels are darker and more serious. I shall review those when i get there. This one is forgettable I am afraid. ( )
  mick745 | Apr 8, 2020 |
First read about 25 years ago, so a reread, but rather like Pyramids, what I consider is one of the weaker Discworld novels.
Enjoyable, humorous, fun ideas and with plenty of puns and film gags, but ... it just didn't quite gel for me. Perhaps the characters are not strong enough to carry the story or sufficiently engaging.
Worth the initial read, but probably not worth a reread. ( )
  CarltonC | Jan 21, 2020 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made this book possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . . .
Watch . . . This is space.
She wasn't certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
Most alchemists were nervous, in any case; it came from not knowing what the crucible of bubbling stuff they were experimenting with was going to do next.

The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill?

It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out...

Moving Pictures, the ninth Discworld novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,813,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible