Moving Pictures: (Discworld Novel 10): A…

Moving Pictures: (Discworld Novel 10): A Discworld Novel (Discworld… (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:thelistener
Title:Moving Pictures: (Discworld Novel 10): A Discworld Novel (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (1991), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***

Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (1990)

Recently added bymathsie, catiew, ChrisRiesbeck, QueenOfEschnapur, private library, dafinker, tleemans, -sunny-, Kat81

English (53)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (60)
Disability tag for Poons and his wheelchair, characterization of him & other people's opinions thereof. Poons was mocked as roundly as any other character, and in this one, TP sends up just about everyone, so it at least felt fair.

I can't believe how long it took me to finish this book. Normally I can fly through a Discworld book in a day and a half, but this one kept putting me to sleep. I liked the last third quite a lot, though, so the 3 stars are mainly from that. Gaspode the Underdog is an awesome narrative voice, and I wish I were less aware of how he's intentionally designed to be the book's unsung hero. I hate feeling emotionally manipulated into adoring a character. But I'm just so freaking FOND. *sigh* ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Pratchett does a wonderful spoof on Hollywood - with a few twists and turns that are reminiscent of 1950s horror films. The puns come a mile a minute throughout the dialogue, particularly in scenes with Gaspode the talking dog. This will have you groaning, giggling, laughing, and smacking your forehead in wonder at the actions of the characters -- and all often in the span of a single paragraph. ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett is a humorous tale about what happens when alchemists learn to make film and subsequently movies or "moving pictures". Then suddenly lots of people feel compelled to travel to the small town of Holy Wood and become a part of the moving pictures business. I'm sure it goes without saying what Holy Wood is a satire of. A sort of strange magic is involved with the moving pictures though that not only compels people to get into the business, but that also seems to make the actors go into trances while making the films and be able to do things that they have no experience with. However this magical force is not benevolent and it feeds off the moving pictures growing stronger and more powerful with disastrous results. I would not count this book among my favorite Discworld novels, but it's definitely good for a laugh in places and I'd recommend it to fans of the series. ( )
  Kythe42 | Dec 31, 2013 |
Loved the jabs at the movie industry, especially the early movie industry, as well as the nods to H. P. Lovecraft! Some of the in-jokes may be lost on readers who aren't familiar with old movies, but the basics should get across. What made me happiest, though, was finding out how not-yet-Sergeant Detritus and Ruby met, AND the debut of Gaspode, the Wonder Dog. ( )
  JalenV | Dec 10, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to thank all the wonderful people who made this book possible. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you . . .
Watch . . . This is space.
She wasn't certain what the future held, but coffee would be involved if she had any say in the matter.
Most alchemists were nervous, in any case; it came from not knowing what the crucible of bubbling stuff they were experimenting with was going to do next.

The alchemists of the Discworld have discovered the magic of the silver screen. But what is the dark secret of Holy Wood hill?

It's up to Victor Tugelbend ("Can't sing. Can't dance. Can handle a sword a little.") and Theda Withel ("I come from a little town you've probably never heard of") to find out...

Moving Pictures, the ninth Discworld novel is a gloriously funny saga set against the background of a world gone mad!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006102063X, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitious ingénue from a little town (where else?) you've probably never heard of.

But the click click of moving pictures isn't just stirring up dreams inside Discworld. Holy Wood's magic is drifting out into the boundaries of the universes, where raw realities, the could-have-beens, the might-bes, the never-weres, the wild ideas are beginning to ferment into a really stinky brew. It's up to Victor and Gaspode the Wonder Dog (a star if ever one was born!) to rein in the chaos and bring order back to a starstruck Discworld. And they're definitely not ready for their close-up!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:34 -0400)

A zany bunch of futuristic actors--Victor, the eternal student; Ginger, the milkmaid; Dibbler, the sausage salesman; and Gaspode, the talking dog--embarks on an epic movie project.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,927 books! | Top bar: Always visible