Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett

Reaper Man (original 1991; edition 2002)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:Novak
Title:Reaper Man
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Terry Pratchett
Rating:***
Tags:Discworld

Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett (1991)

English (75)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  French (1)  All languages (79)
'Inside Every Living Person is a Dead Person Waiting to Get Out...' Death is one of my favourite Discworld characters and Reaper Man is the second book in the Death novels. I prefer reading in general Discworld reading order though. Still, whether you read these books like I do, or you choose to read them as separate novels about Rincewind, or Death, or witches and so on, you will have lots of fun.

Death gets fired. Or something like that anyway. Instead of mopping around feeling sorry for himself (according to the ones who got him fired he shouldn't have taken the he part), he starts living, making friends, being a hero, learning things he only observed before and understanding them, and so on.

Meanwhile in Ankh-Morpork, life force is growing, weird little globes are popping up all over the place and things act. Windle Poons, a hundred and thirty old wizard, dies but nobody comes to collect him. Death is not employed anymore. His colleagues try everything they can think of (including burying him in the crossroads), but nothing helps. Windle Poons is still there. He finds his way to a group of life-challenged individuals and there the adventure of his unlife starts.

The troubles in Ankh-Morpork and Death's new experiences are the two threads we follow in Reaper Man, both funny and entertaining. Pratchett's greatest strength lies in those one liners he smartly sneaks in in every single story.
I would have liked more Death though.
1 vote Irena. | Nov 22, 2014 |
As only Terry Pratchett can, we are invited into a world where Death has been canned, Life is building up all around and the undead are needed to save the living if only the living would give them a chance. We're introduced to Mrs. Cake who is a marvelous character that makes dialogue as difficult to read as it is to have a conversation with her. We're given a chance to follow the afterlife of the Wizard Wendell Poons, who's afterlife is far more interesting and rewarding than his life was. And we get to see what happens when a shopping mall tries to pillage an ancient city like Ankh-Moorpork.

I definitely enjoyed this one. A nice, quick read... ( )
  helver | Jul 17, 2014 |
In Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett the Death of Discworld finds himself out of a job when the powers that be fire him for developing a personality. Death is now mortal and must live out the rest of his numbered days among humans until the new Death arrives to take him away. With the Disc temporarily without a Death things can't die properly and a huge amount of excess life force accumulates causing some very strange things to happen. This is a very hilarious book. I enjoyed it immensely and highly recommend it. ( )
  Kythe42 | Feb 26, 2014 |
I like the Witches books so much better than the Death books, although I've only read two so far. Generally, I find TP's female characters to be vastly more engaging, and this book suffered from having far too few women in it. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Not particularly one of my favorite Pratchett novels so far. What happens when Death's time is up? And who handles the books related to the day-to-day operations for Death? And if Death took a holiday - how would everyone else handle not passing over into the next realm? The sections dealing directly with Death are some of most boring pieces of material that I have read from Pratchett. However, on the opposite side of that coin, the sections dealing with the Wizards and the (un)Dead are some of the funniest segments I've read from him as well. Thus, the book reads somewhat unevenly for me. ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Morris Dance is common to all inhabited worlds in the multiverse.
Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

DEATH IS MISSING - PRESUMED…ER…GONE.

Which leads to the kind of chaos you always get when an important public service is withdrawn.

Meanwhile, on a little farm far, far away, a tall dark stranger is turning out to be really good with a scythe. There's a harvest to be gathered in…
When Death retires,
Who will replace him? And will
He be any good?
(espadrile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020621, Mass Market Paperback)

They say there are only two things you can count on ...

But that was before DEATH started pondering the existential. Of course, the last thing anyone needs is a squeamish Grim Reaper and soon his Discworld bosses have sent him off with best wishes and a well-earned gold watch. Now DEATH is having the time of his life, finding greener pastures where he can put his scythe to a whole new use.

But like every cutback in an important public service, DEATH's demise soon leads to chaos and unrest -- literally, for those whose time was supposed to be up, like Windle Poons. The oldest geezer in the entire faculty of Unseen University -- home of magic, wizardry, and big dinners -- Windle was looking forward to a wonderful afterlife, not this boring been-there-done-that routine. To get the fresh start he deserves, Windle and the rest of Ankh-Morpork's undead and underemployed set off to find DEATH and save the world for the living (and everybody else, of course).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:21 -0400)

When the Grim Reaper begins to ponder the existential, his Discworld bosses send him off with best wishes and a well-earned gold watch. Death is now having the time of his life, but like every cutback in public service, Death's demise soon leads to chaos and unrest. The 11th novel of Pratchett's Discworld series. (August).… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible