Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

Feet of Clay (1996)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (19), Discworld: City Watch (3)

English (80)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (85)
My partial re-read of the Discworld series continues with the third of the City Watch books, Feet of Clay. In this one, some murders have been committed and golems are clearly involved somehow. Also, someone is poisoning the Patrician. And Corporal Nobby Nobbs has been identified as having aristocratic blood, which is startling, since it's hard to tell by looking at him whether Nobby even has human blood.

The story in this one isn't quite as exciting, perhaps, as the last two. It is, after all, lacking in dragons or terrifying new weaponry. But it's a really good, solid police procedural-type mystery, laced (of course) with humor and some gentle-but-firm social commentary. And the last fifty pages or so put a huge grin on my face. Pratchett, in addition to all his other talents, really knows how to bring together an ending in a way that leaves you feeling deeply happy about the entire book. I also very much like the way he handles the golems. And there's some great character moments, especially for Commander Vimes.

Basically, all and all, it's yet another highly satisfying Discworld reading experience. One of these days, maybe, just maybe, I'll re-read one of these and decide it's not quite as good as I remembered it, but today is definitely not that day. ( )
  bragan | Apr 16, 2017 |
This is probably my fifth book in the Discworld series and my third of the "guards" books from that series. I always find Pratchett's humor refreshing and his mysteries, while taking place in a fictional universe, are well-constructed. In this novel, Vimes, commander of the City Watch, must solve a series of murders that are especially puzzling because they do not appear to have been committed by Guild of Assassins members and yet they appear to be planned and targeted. Further, the Patrician of the city is suffering from a slow poison that cannot be identified, one of the watch's newest members is suffering a gender identity crisis, and Nobby discovers he may be a member of the nobility. Confusion, hilarity and a few deep thoughts ensue.
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
golems make themselves a king and some kind of Ankh-morpork politics going on. And a lady dwarf. It was just odd. Funny bits, but not funny overall. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Feet of Clay is the third book in the Watch subseries of Discworld. It’s also the Guards book that I’ve enjoyed the most so far. In fact, it may even have given my previous favorite Discworld book, Wyrd Sisters, some competition.

I was worried at first that this book would rehash old ground with the “let’s get ourselves a puppet king” thing. There’s a bit of that, and it’s an important aspect of the story, but it doesn’t overpower the story and it has a more amusing twist than in previous books. In general, I thought this plot was one of the better ones. Parts of it actually kept me guessing, and I was truly interested in finding out what would happen next as opposed to just sitting back, going along for the ride, and enjoying the humor like I normally do when I read these books.

Character-wise, I enjoyed the mish-mash of characters and their different backgrounds and amusing perspectives. I enjoyed the introduction of that in the second Watch book, and things got even livelier in this book. Even Vimes seemed less annoying to me than he had in the previous books. Also, his pocket organizer was hilarious. This seemed like one of Pratchett's better ones in terms of humor. The books are all funny, but this one had more parts that made me laugh out loud.

I’m not sure many people would appreciate the corniness of this insult, but I loved this: “… a ding-a-ling so big he’d been upgraded to a clang-a-lang”. ( )
  YouKneeK | Dec 9, 2016 |
Pratchett does surprisingly well with the mystery aspect of the book. The humor is pretty weak, though. ( )
  comfypants | Nov 13, 2016 |
Feet of Clay is another in the sub-series of books about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. It involves golems, and murder, and an assassination plot, and the Watch's new forensic alchemist, and the rightful king, and the problems of being a vegetarian werewolf. It manages to be both a fine fantasy and a unique police procedural, with some cogent things to say about the human urge for kings. And it is almost continuously hilarious. It is difficult to say anything else about this book without sounding like a jacket blurb. Let us simply note that Pratchett performs to his usual standard.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Janice M. Eisen (pay site) (Sep 29, 1996)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenCoats of armssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a warm spring night when a fist knocked at the door so hard that the hinges bent.
Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk.
You never ever volunteered. Not even if a sergant stood there and said, "We need someone to drink alcohol, bottles of, and make love, passionate, to women, for the use of." There was always a snag. If a choir of angels asked for volunteers for Paradise to step forward, Nobby knew enough to take one smart pace to the rear.
It wasn't by eliminating the impossible that you got at the truth, however improbable; it was by the much harder process of eliminating the possibilities.
When you've made up your mind to shout out who you are to the world, it's a relief to know you can do it in a whisper.
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE ISIS AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com

There's a werewolf with pre-lunar tension in Ankh-Morpork. And a dwarf with attitude and a golem who’s begun to think for itself.

But for Commander Vimes, Head of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, that’s only the start…

There’s treason in the air.
A crime has happened.

He’s not only got to find out whodunit, but howdunit too. He’s not even sure what they dun. But as soon as he knows what the questions are, he’s going to want some answers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061057649, Mass Market Paperback)

In Feet of Clay, Terry Pratchett continues the fantasy adventures on Discworld--where anything goes. Anything but murder, that is. Commander Vimes of the Watch must investigate a puzzling series of deaths, with help from various trolls and dwarfs. Pratchett's humor and excellent writing skills draw the reader effortlessly into his zany world. Feet of Clay is 19th in the series. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In Ankh-Morpork, the greatest of Discworld's cities, Commander Vimes is determined to stop an unlicensed murderer, and his investigation leads to a vampire dragon, a vegetarian werewolf, and other strange discoveries.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,208,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible