Feet of Clay (Discworld) by Terry Pratchett

Feet of Clay (Discworld) (original 1996; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:lokeefe
Title:Feet of Clay (Discworld)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (2005), Paperback, 384 pages

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett (1996)

English (87)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (93)
Pratchett takes on golems, the myth of nobility, and werewolf/human relationships. A fun entry into the series. Like many of the other characters, the Patrician is really growing on me, and the Watch are by this point old friends. ( )
  electrascaife | Sep 20, 2018 |
lovely ( )
  simonspacecadet | Jul 29, 2018 |
Part of the Discworld series. There's an unauthorized murderer in Ankh-Morpork. Vimes and his police crew of human and other creatures are working to solve it. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jul 17, 2018 |
The Watch investigate a couple of murders and the attempted-poisoning of Lord Vetinari. Meanwhile, something is going on with the golems and, yet again, someone in the city concocts a plan to replace Vetinari with a king.

I am a bit impressed that people plotting to replace Vetinari has been a recurring theme without it getting repetitive. I guess it’s a lot like how murder mysteries aren’t repetitive simply because the same detective has to solve another murder. A relevant comparison - part of why I am finding these books so engaging is that I really like how Pratchett writes detective/mystery stories. That’s something I couldn’t predict from the other novels of his that I’d read.

Something I thought worked well in Feet of Clay was how each of the characters has their blindspots - Carrot manages to be open-minded about most people but has a problem with female dwarves dressing in a feminine way; Cheery is frightened of werewolves; Angua is uncomfortable with golems - and is challenged in their respective prejudices.

A downside I often experience with audiobooks is that I can’t remember, or else easily look up, my favourite passages afterwards. But this time I have had no trouble remembering enough keywords from notable quotes.

“The trouble is, you know, that once the taste’s got you it never lets go.”
“But you've been very good, sir,” said Carrot. “I’ve not seen you touch a drop for—”
“Oh, that,” said Vimes. “I was talking about policing, not alcohol. There’s lots of people will help you with the alcohol business, but there’s no one out there arranging little meetings where you can stand up and say, 'My name is Sam and I’m a really suspicious bastard'.”
  Herenya | Mar 9, 2018 |
Read this book years ago.... one of my favorites from the DiscWorld. Lots of fun on audio! ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Feet of Clay is another in the sub-series of books about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. It involves golems, and murder, and an assassination plot, and the Watch's new forensic alchemist, and the rightful king, and the problems of being a vegetarian werewolf. It manages to be both a fine fantasy and a unique police procedural, with some cogent things to say about the human urge for kings. And it is almost continuously hilarious. It is difficult to say anything else about this book without sounding like a jacket blurb. Let us simply note that Pratchett performs to his usual standard.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Janice M. Eisen (pay site) (Sep 29, 1996)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blomqvist, MatsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenCoats of armssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a warm spring night when a fist knocked at the door so hard that the hinges bent.
Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk.
You never ever volunteered. Not even if a sergant stood there and said, "We need someone to drink alcohol, bottles of, and make love, passionate, to women, for the use of." There was always a snag. If a choir of angels asked for volunteers for Paradise to step forward, Nobby knew enough to take one smart pace to the rear.
It wasn't by eliminating the impossible that you got at the truth, however improbable; it was by the much harder process of eliminating the possibilities.
When you've made up your mind to shout out who you are to the world, it's a relief to know you can do it in a whisper.
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE ISIS AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com

There's a werewolf with pre-lunar tension in Ankh-Morpork. And a dwarf with attitude and a golem who’s begun to think for itself.

But for Commander Vimes, Head of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, that’s only the start…

There’s treason in the air.
A crime has happened.

He’s not only got to find out whodunit, but howdunit too. He’s not even sure what they dun. But as soon as he knows what the questions are, he’s going to want some answers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061057649, Mass Market Paperback)

In Feet of Clay, Terry Pratchett continues the fantasy adventures on Discworld--where anything goes. Anything but murder, that is. Commander Vimes of the Watch must investigate a puzzling series of deaths, with help from various trolls and dwarfs. Pratchett's humor and excellent writing skills draw the reader effortlessly into his zany world. Feet of Clay is 19th in the series. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In Ankh-Morpork, the greatest of Discworld's cities, Commander Vimes is determined to stop an unlicensed murderer, and his investigation leads to a vampire dragon, a vegetarian werewolf, and other strange discoveries.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible