Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

Feet of Clay (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:jgaiser
Title:Feet of Clay
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebook
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Humor, Pratchett, Discworld, The Watch

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett (1996)

English (60)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (65)
I've read most of the Discworld novels now and have loved some and enjoyed most. Feet of Clay is now my favorite. This book has it all! First of all, it's a City Watch series book, which I love, so that's good. Then, there are mysteries to be solved. Two old men have been murdered, presumably by golems, and Lord Venitari is being poisoned. Someone has to save the day! And it's the City Watch, led by Commander Sir Sam Vimes, followed by his loyal group of Captain Carrot, Angua, Detritus, Colon, and Nobbs. Additionally, there's now a new member of the watch, an alchemist, Cheery Littlebottom. His job is forensics. His role in this book is to bring up questions of minorities and gender identity. Because this dwarf is actually a she -- Cheri. It's pretty funny to watch her progress to wearing lipstick and so on while the male members of the Watch look on, not knowing what to think.

The golems, hard working "things," are going crazy in this book. We find late in the book that they have banded together to create a golem king, but it turns out to be really crazy, hence the crime sprees. However, other people are banding together to discuss succession should Vetinari so unfortunately cease to exist. The leaders of the community want a yes man in place, someone who will do what they're told to do because they're too stupid not to. But they've got to have some royal blood somewhere. Enter Corporal Nobby Nobbs. He's found out he's an earl, due to odd lineage, and is treated as such by the upper crust, who try to talk him into becoming king. But he's pretty dense and it doesn't work out as planned.

Vimes still has to find the poisoner. Could it be the Dragon, a vampire who maintains the history of the royal families of the area? Good question. Vimes will answer it too.

We don't see Death in this book much, if at all, and he's my favorite Discworld character, so that's unfortunate, but there's so much action and suspense in this novel, that it more than makes up for it. This is Pratchett at his best and I strongly recommend it. ( )
  scottcholstad | Nov 14, 2014 |
What one might expect from Terry Pratchett: whacky humour, intimately realized world, twists, turns and nefarious deeds. In short, another installment of escapism at its best.

In this Discworld edition, Pratchett returns to our stalwart policing crew, The Watch, who become embroiled in a series of dastardly murders, the question of what makes a thing a thing with rights, or just a machine, and the examination of class structure. All of this told with intelligence and aplomb. ( )
  fiverivers | Nov 2, 2014 |
I liked this better than Men at Arms. It seems that Sam Vimes is coming into his own here, yet I just love the way the Patrician plays him.
I find golems an interesting character. The idea that they work on the words which someone else puts in their heads is very intriguing on many levels. I also thought the mystery was pretty good in this book. I've never really thought of Pratchett as a mystery writer, but I'm beginning to see him that way. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 27, 2014 |
Read it years ago. ( )
  MikeRhode | Sep 26, 2014 |
Discworld books continue to be an enjoyable read. This is the third book focused around the city watch, which keeps expanding its ranks to all races . . . except vampires. At risk of repeating myself, I enjoyed it, it was funny, yadda yadda yadda. This book was especially interesting while addressing the question of what constitutes a living being. These books continue to be a combination of humor and deeper philosopical questions, and I continue to keep with the series. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Feet of Clay is another in the sub-series of books about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. It involves golems, and murder, and an assassination plot, and the Watch's new forensic alchemist, and the rightful king, and the problems of being a vegetarian werewolf. It manages to be both a fine fantasy and a unique police procedural, with some cogent things to say about the human urge for kings. And it is almost continuously hilarious. It is difficult to say anything else about this book without sounding like a jacket blurb. Let us simply note that Pratchett performs to his usual standard.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Janice M. Eisen (pay site) (Sep 29, 1996)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a warm spring night when a fist knocked at the door so hard that the hinges bent.
Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk.
You never ever volunteered. Not even if a sergant stood there and said, "We need someone to drink alcohol, bottles of, and make love, passionate, to women, for the use of." There was always a snag. If a choir of angels asked for volunteers for Paradise to step forward, Nobby knew enough to take one smart pace to the rear.
It wasn't by eliminating the impossible that you got at the truth, however improbable; it was by the much harder process of eliminating the possibilities.
When you've made up your mind to shout out who you are to the world, it's a relief to know you can do it in a whisper.

There's a werewolf with pre-lunar tension in Ankh-Morpork. And a dwarf with attitude and a golem who’s begun to think for itself.

But for Commander Vimes, Head of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, that’s only the start…

There’s treason in the air.
A crime has happened.

He’s not only got to find out whodunit, but howdunit too. He’s not even sure what they dun. But as soon as he knows what the questions are, he’s going to want some answers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061057649, Mass Market Paperback)

In Feet of Clay, Terry Pratchett continues the fantasy adventures on Discworld--where anything goes. Anything but murder, that is. Commander Vimes of the Watch must investigate a puzzling series of deaths, with help from various trolls and dwarfs. Pratchett's humor and excellent writing skills draw the reader effortlessly into his zany world. Feet of Clay is 19th in the series. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:29 -0400)

In Ankh-Morpork, the greatest of Discworld's cities, Commander Vimes is determined to stop an unlicensed murderer, and his investigation leads to a vampire dragon, a vegetarian werewolf, and other strange discoveries.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,473,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible