Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett

Feet of Clay (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:jgaiser
Title:Feet of Clay
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebook
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Humor, Pratchett, Discworld, The Watch

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett (1996)

English (78)  Spanish (2)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (83)
golems make themselves a king and some kind of Ankh-morpork politics going on. And a lady dwarf. It was just odd. Funny bits, but not funny overall. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Feet of Clay is the third book in the Watch subseries of Discworld. It’s also the Guards book that I’ve enjoyed the most so far. In fact, it may even have given my previous favorite Discworld book, Wyrd Sisters, some competition.

I was worried at first that this book would rehash old ground with the “let’s get ourselves a puppet king” thing. There’s a bit of that, and it’s an important aspect of the story, but it doesn’t overpower the story and it has a more amusing twist than in previous books. In general, I thought this plot was one of the better ones. Parts of it actually kept me guessing, and I was truly interested in finding out what would happen next as opposed to just sitting back, going along for the ride, and enjoying the humor like I normally do when I read these books.

Character-wise, I enjoyed the mish-mash of characters and their different backgrounds and amusing perspectives. I enjoyed the introduction of that in the second Watch book, and things got even livelier in this book. Even Vimes seemed less annoying to me than he had in the previous books. Also, his pocket organizer was hilarious. This seemed like one of Pratchett's better ones in terms of humor. The books are all funny, but this one had more parts that made me laugh out loud.

I’m not sure many people would appreciate the corniness of this insult, but I loved this: “… a ding-a-ling so big he’d been upgraded to a clang-a-lang”. ( )
  YouKneeK | Dec 9, 2016 |
Pratchett does surprisingly well with the mystery aspect of the book. The humor is pretty weak, though. ( )
  comfypants | Nov 13, 2016 |
Re-reread April 2015.

There are two story threads connected by a pivotal plot point in this book: The city's golems are behaving strangely and someone is slowly poisoning Lord Vetinari. Sam Vimes is on the case....

But this is Pratchett, so you know there is more to it than that. This Discworld reflection focuses on self-determination, the meaning of life, what it is to be human, oppression, prejudice, the economic effects of mechanization, and contrasting ideas of what makes for good governance.

It's also a story that, despite some heavy ideas, is lighthearted and thoroughly enjoyable.

I highly recommend it. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
I do wish I liked this series more. Some are great fun, some just don't work for me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Feet of Clay is another in the sub-series of books about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. It involves golems, and murder, and an assassination plot, and the Watch's new forensic alchemist, and the rightful king, and the problems of being a vegetarian werewolf. It manages to be both a fine fantasy and a unique police procedural, with some cogent things to say about the human urge for kings. And it is almost continuously hilarious. It is difficult to say anything else about this book without sounding like a jacket blurb. Let us simply note that Pratchett performs to his usual standard.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Janice M. Eisen (pay site) (Sep 29, 1996)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenCoats of armssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was a warm spring night when a fist knocked at the door so hard that the hinges bent.
Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk.
You never ever volunteered. Not even if a sergant stood there and said, "We need someone to drink alcohol, bottles of, and make love, passionate, to women, for the use of." There was always a snag. If a choir of angels asked for volunteers for Paradise to step forward, Nobby knew enough to take one smart pace to the rear.
It wasn't by eliminating the impossible that you got at the truth, however improbable; it was by the much harder process of eliminating the possibilities.
When you've made up your mind to shout out who you are to the world, it's a relief to know you can do it in a whisper.
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE ISIS AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com

There's a werewolf with pre-lunar tension in Ankh-Morpork. And a dwarf with attitude and a golem who’s begun to think for itself.

But for Commander Vimes, Head of Ankh-Morpork City Watch, that’s only the start…

There’s treason in the air.
A crime has happened.

He’s not only got to find out whodunit, but howdunit too. He’s not even sure what they dun. But as soon as he knows what the questions are, he’s going to want some answers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061057649, Mass Market Paperback)

In Feet of Clay, Terry Pratchett continues the fantasy adventures on Discworld--where anything goes. Anything but murder, that is. Commander Vimes of the Watch must investigate a puzzling series of deaths, with help from various trolls and dwarfs. Pratchett's humor and excellent writing skills draw the reader effortlessly into his zany world. Feet of Clay is 19th in the series. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In Ankh-Morpork, the greatest of Discworld's cities, Commander Vimes is determined to stop an unlicensed murderer, and his investigation leads to a vampire dragon, a vegetarian werewolf, and other strange discoveries.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,816,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible