Jingo: (Discworld Novel 21) (Discworld…

Jingo: (Discworld Novel 21) (Discworld Novels) (original 1997; edition 2013)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Member:muralijayapala
Title:Jingo: (Discworld Novel 21) (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Corgi (2013), 464 pages
Tags:fiction, eb

Jingo by Terry Pratchett (1997)

Recently added byprivate library, Samckeon, Shizzy, hatingongodot, tripps82, Heimonomo, TSWR, ejmw

English (87)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (90)
When a mysterious island rises abruptly out of the sea, right under his boat, fisherman Solid Jackson knows precisely what he’s going to do. He’s going to claim that land in the name of Ankh-Morpork and become a national hero, no question about it. Unfortunately for Solid, he isn’t the only one present at the moment of the island’s apparition, and his great rival Arif promptly decides that it actually belongs to his own country, Al-Khali. As the fishermen scurry home to inform their respective governments, their dispute swiftly escalates to the level of international diplomacy… and worse. While this book sparkles with all Pratchett’s characteristic verve, reading it is a mitigated pleasure, because a satire on the stupidity of racial intolerance, hate crimes and the futility of war feels so bloody pertinent in the modern world. And, unlike the good citizens of Ankh-Morpork, we don’t even have Sam Vimes and the City Watch standing by to save us…

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2019/08/04/jingo-terry-pratchett/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Aug 5, 2019 |
Ankh-Morpork goes to war with Al-Kali, and the City Watch, for various reasons, goes with it. Not my favorite Discworld book so far, but I do care a good deal for Vimes. ( )
  electrascaife | Nov 26, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this one. Most of Pratchett's books are smile-inducing - this one is laugh out funny in many places. I mean that literally. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Back in the day, I randomly grabbed a copy of one of Pratchett's books as I bulked up my reading list for the next day when my vacation started. I woke up to 9/11 and the news of the four hijacked planes. Shocked and stressed, with the news playing in its continual loop in the background, I started reading "Jingo" - having no idea what the book was about, only that I needed something to distract me. I certainly didn't distract as I immediately saw the paralells, instead it helped me get through that week a little more sanely, a big scoop of anger taken out of me. I'll always be thankful to Pratchett for that.

Was Pratchett the first to articulate Flying Spaghetti Monster theories? I don't know the entomology of the Flying Spaghetti Monster but it seems a colourful derivative of Russell's Flying Teapot....the first undisprovable assertion (that I know of) to assail the believers in Gods. I think that one of the consequences of evolving an intelligence capable of complex predictions of consequences from actions and knowing the certainty of our own demise is the necessity for developing a parallel capacity not to see the whole thing as fairly pointless and head, "en masse", like a bunch of lemmings over the nearest cliff. Maybe it's an evolved survival mechanism that makes us capable of believing in flying teapots, spaghetti monsters and six impossible things before breakfast without any real proof whatsoever. Well, heading “en masse” like a bunch of lemmings over the not so very far away cliff of catastrophic consequences of climate change, general poisoning of environment and depletion of resources on top of an approaching (momentarily via mare nostrum) Malthusian crisis is actually what we do. I'd argue it's a strong sign of us as a species not being even halfway through the troublesome business of evolving any intelligence of note, making the individual exceptions at best a promise of sorts or sadly more likely a freak mutation that seems to have a hard time with becoming dominant in the gene pool.

First book to read: “Guards Guards.” Has the balance between jokes and seriousness that makes it a great place to start.
Best book: “Small Gods.” One for every theologian to read
Funniest book: “Maskerade.” The scene where Nanny Ogg is cooking her specials made me laugh and laugh and laugh... ( )
  antao | Sep 23, 2018 |
Enjoyable but not as good as the previous ones. Definitely had its moments though. ( )
  gabarito | May 13, 2018 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the fighters for peace
It was a moonless night, which was good for the purposes of Solid Jackson.
But...history was full of the bones of good men who'd followed bad orders in the hope that they could soften the blow. Oh yes, there were worse things they could do, but most of them began right when they started following bad orders.
"Taxation, gentlemen, is very much like dairy farming. The task is to extract the maximum amount of milk with the minimum of moo. And I am afraid to say that these days all I get is moo."
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Please do not combine with either the play or the abridged audio. Thanks.

Discworld goes to war, with armies of sardines, warriors, fishermen, squid and at least one very camp follower.

As two armies march, Commander Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch faces unpleasant foes who are out to get him…and that’s just the people on his side. The enemy might be even worse.

Jingo, the 21st in Terry Pratchett’s phenomenally successful Discworld series, makes the World Cup look like a friendly five-a-side.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061059064, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett is a phenomenon unto himself. Never read a Discworld book? The closest comparison might be Monty Python and the Holy Grail, with its uniquely British sense of the absurd, and side-splitting, smart humor. Jingo is the 20th of Pratchett's Discworld novels, and the fourth to feature the City Guard of Ankh-Morpork. As Jingo begins, an island suddenly rises between Ankh-Morpork and Al-Khali, capital of Klatch. Both cities claim it. Lord Vetinari, the Patrician, has failed to convince the Ruling Council that force is a bad idea, despite reminding them that they have no army, and "I believe one of those is generally considered vital to the successful prosecution of a war." Samuel Vimes, Commander of the City Watch, has to find out who shot the Klatchian envoy, Prince Khufurah, and set fire to their embassy, before war breaks out.

Pratchett's characters are both sympathetic and outrageously entertaining, from Captain Carrot, who always finds the best in people and puts it to work playing football, to Sergeant Colon and his sidekick, Corporal Nobbs, who have "an ability to get out of their depth on a wet pavement." Then there is the mysterious D'reg, 71-hour Ahmed. What is his part in all this, and why 71 hours? Anyone who doesn't mind laughing themselves silly at the idiocy of people in general and governments in particular will enjoy Jingo. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:43 -0400)

Samuel Vimes, Commander of the City Watch, heads off war when Ankh-Morpork and Al-Khali, the capital of Klatch, both lay claim to an island that has suddenly risen between them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,315,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible