Jingo (Discworld, Book 21) by Terry…

Jingo (Discworld, Book 21) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:salimbol
Title:Jingo (Discworld, Book 21)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Books (1998), Edition: First edition & printing in this form, Paperback, 413 pages
Collections:Your library, Novels
Rating:***1/2
Tags:novels, fantasy, comic fantasy, humour, British humour, sharp dialogue, male authors, 20th century books, Discworld, POC characters, war, 2012 reading

Jingo by Terry Pratchett (1997)

English (55)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
GLBT tag this time for crossdressing!Nobby and the general homophobic panic this engenders.

I liked this one a lot. It was a fun mix of action adventure and camp, with some good asides of war criticism. It was also lovely to see Vetinari out and about in the world instead of cooped up in the palace. I still wish there were more female characters, and I'm annoyed that the only ones with lines are 1) a werewolf, 2) a dwarf, 3) a handful of natives of Klatch, and 4) the entirely forgotten WIFE Vimes never thought to miss! I can't believe he invaded a country and not only didn't tell his wife he was leaving but also didn't have a single passing thought for her -- despite having lots of thoughts for Carrot's missing gf (the werewolf). Which is to say gender relations in this series are so. freaking. messed. up.

But structurally it's a big improvement over the last few I've read, and I'm a sucker for a fun action-adventure plot. ( )
1 vote sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Excellent Vimes book, and good one to start with. Pratchett's satire of racism, imperialism, and, as the title might suggest, jingoism.
Also features fun with the split in the Trousers of Time, Vimes' first struggles with his wife's well-meant gift of a Dis-Organizer, and an enjoyable submarine ride with only Leonardo de Quirm, crazy genius, Vetinari, tyrant, Sgt Colin, complete moron, and Nobby Nobbs, possibly human, as passengers.
Also features Carrot, the unrecognized king of Ankh Morpork, acting human--he finally breaks his rule about not treating personal a completely separate issue than important.
And Vimes has to ride a camel.... ( )
  page.fault | Sep 21, 2013 |
I laughed like an idiot with this one. ( )
  Cailiosa | Jul 25, 2013 |
Takes a bit to get going, the set up is a bit boring. This is one of the ones that feels a little unfinished or too full or something. Nobby continues to be a brilliant character. ( )
  veracite | Apr 7, 2013 |
"Jingo" is obviously an anti-war novel, a critique of the way people and nations get caught up in xenophobia, misplaced ethnic pride and collective hysteria. But it never forgets to be very, very funny.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Michael Dirda (pay site) (Jul 27, 1998)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the fighters for peace
It was a moonless night, which was good for the purposes of Solid Jackson.
But...history was full of the bones of good men who'd followed bad orders in the hope that they could soften the blow. Oh yes, there were worse things they could do, but most of them began right when they started following bad orders.
"Taxation, gentlemen, is very much like dairy farming. The task is to extract the maximum amount of milk with the minimum of moo. And I am afraid to say that these days all I get is moo."
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Discworld goes to war, with armies of sardines, warriors, fishermen, squid and at least one very camp follower.

As two armies march, Commander Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch faces unpleasant foes who are out to get him…and that’s just the people on his side. The enemy might be even worse.

Jingo, the 21st in Terry Pratchett’s phenomenally successful Discworld series, makes the World Cup look like a friendly five-a-side.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061059064, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett is a phenomenon unto himself. Never read a Discworld book? The closest comparison might be Monty Python and the Holy Grail, with its uniquely British sense of the absurd, and side-splitting, smart humor. Jingo is the 20th of Pratchett's Discworld novels, and the fourth to feature the City Guard of Ankh-Morpork. As Jingo begins, an island suddenly rises between Ankh-Morpork and Al-Khali, capital of Klatch. Both cities claim it. Lord Vetinari, the Patrician, has failed to convince the Ruling Council that force is a bad idea, despite reminding them that they have no army, and "I believe one of those is generally considered vital to the successful prosecution of a war." Samuel Vimes, Commander of the City Watch, has to find out who shot the Klatchian envoy, Prince Khufurah, and set fire to their embassy, before war breaks out.

Pratchett's characters are both sympathetic and outrageously entertaining, from Captain Carrot, who always finds the best in people and puts it to work playing football, to Sergeant Colon and his sidekick, Corporal Nobbs, who have "an ability to get out of their depth on a wet pavement." Then there is the mysterious D'reg, 71-hour Ahmed. What is his part in all this, and why 71 hours? Anyone who doesn't mind laughing themselves silly at the idiocy of people in general and governments in particular will enjoy Jingo. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:38 -0400)

Samuel Vimes, Commander of the City Watch, heads off war when Ankh-Morpork and Al-Khali, the capital of Klatch, both lay claim to an island that has suddenly risen between them.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,467,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible