Jingo (Discworld, Book 21) by Terry…

Jingo (Discworld, Book 21) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:salimbol
Title:Jingo (Discworld, Book 21)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Books (1998), Edition: First edition & printing in this form, Paperback, 413 pages
Collections:Your library, Novels
Rating:***1/2
Tags:novels, fantasy, comic fantasy, humour, British humour, sharp dialogue, male authors, 20th century books, Discworld, POC characters, war, 2012 reading

Jingo by Terry Pratchett (1997)

English (60)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (62)
I get enough nonsense about war in real life, thank you. I'd kinda like to keep reading because I like Vimes, Carrot, and Angua, but I just couldn't focus on this and gave up after about p. 90.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
An island appears in the sea between Ankh-Morkpork and Klatch and Vimes is trusted by the patrician with helping to fix things. Terry Pratchett pokes a lot of fun at nationalism, jingoism and military assumptions. It's clever and all the things you would expect from Pratchett. Vimes and Carrot are entertaining and things just fall into place to create a very satisfying conclusion. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 10, 2015 |
Very Topical, not in the sense of appearing and disappearing islands, but in the jingoistic political nonsense and warmongering that goes on. If only there were really people like Commander Vimes prepared to arrest everybody for going to war. I think Commander Vimes and his Watchmen are my favourite characters in Discworld, well maybe a close second after DEATH. ( )
  LindaLiu | Feb 1, 2015 |
Jingo was the first Discworld City Watch book I read and I still love its anti-war message. I also love the Discworld take on the President John F. Kennedy assasination. Too bad real life hasn't gone the same way. ( )
  JalenV | Jan 13, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
"Jingo" is obviously an anti-war novel, a critique of the way people and nations get caught up in xenophobia, misplaced ethnic pride and collective hysteria. But it never forgets to be very, very funny.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Michael Dirda (pay site) (Jul 27, 1998)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the fighters for peace
It was a moonless night, which was good for the purposes of Solid Jackson.
But...history was full of the bones of good men who'd followed bad orders in the hope that they could soften the blow. Oh yes, there were worse things they could do, but most of them began right when they started following bad orders.
"Taxation, gentlemen, is very much like dairy farming. The task is to extract the maximum amount of milk with the minimum of moo. And I am afraid to say that these days all I get is moo."
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
FROM A STICKER ON THE INSIDE OF THE BACK COVER OF THE AUDIO BOOK CASE:

This audio book has been produced under the auspices of the Ulverscroft Foundation, a registered UK charity which helps visually impaired people.

For more information, or if you wish to make a donation or a legacy, please contact: Ulverscroft Foundation, The Green, Bradgate Road, Anstey, Leicestershire LE7 7FU Tel: 0116 236 1595 email: foundation@ulverscroft.co.uk Website: www.foundation.ulverscroft.com

Discworld goes to war, with armies of sardines, warriors, fishermen, squid and at least one very camp follower.

As two armies march, Commander Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch faces unpleasant foes who are out to get him…and that’s just the people on his side. The enemy might be even worse.

Jingo, the 21st in Terry Pratchett’s phenomenally successful Discworld series, makes the World Cup look like a friendly five-a-side.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061059064, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett is a phenomenon unto himself. Never read a Discworld book? The closest comparison might be Monty Python and the Holy Grail, with its uniquely British sense of the absurd, and side-splitting, smart humor. Jingo is the 20th of Pratchett's Discworld novels, and the fourth to feature the City Guard of Ankh-Morpork. As Jingo begins, an island suddenly rises between Ankh-Morpork and Al-Khali, capital of Klatch. Both cities claim it. Lord Vetinari, the Patrician, has failed to convince the Ruling Council that force is a bad idea, despite reminding them that they have no army, and "I believe one of those is generally considered vital to the successful prosecution of a war." Samuel Vimes, Commander of the City Watch, has to find out who shot the Klatchian envoy, Prince Khufurah, and set fire to their embassy, before war breaks out.

Pratchett's characters are both sympathetic and outrageously entertaining, from Captain Carrot, who always finds the best in people and puts it to work playing football, to Sergeant Colon and his sidekick, Corporal Nobbs, who have "an ability to get out of their depth on a wet pavement." Then there is the mysterious D'reg, 71-hour Ahmed. What is his part in all this, and why 71 hours? Anyone who doesn't mind laughing themselves silly at the idiocy of people in general and governments in particular will enjoy Jingo. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:38 -0400)

Samuel Vimes, Commander of the City Watch, heads off war when Ankh-Morpork and Al-Khali, the capital of Klatch, both lay claim to an island that has suddenly risen between them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,567,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible