The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel by…

The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel (original 1986; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Title:The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:From the Library
Tags:series, discworld, listsofbests, made into a movie, 2010_75_regular, read in 2010, fantasy, humor, magic, wizard, group hysteria, legend, philosophy, anthropomorphism, adventure, multiple dimensions, nature of the universe, creation myths, love, friendship

The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (1986)

English (113)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (121)
So, that's how Rincewind ended up with the Luggage! Right,.....

I have been wondering about this for years. Now I know.

There is no doubt that Terry Pratchett was a master at snarky humor and fantastic world building. No doubt at all. Yet, it takes me forever to get through some his books because his adventures often end up going off in tangents...and I'm not drawn into the Discworld universe enough to necessarily want to follow those side-stories that may or may not become relevant in a later book.
At the moment, all those tangents are just padding out the book for me - when mostly I just want to get on with the story.

So, why the Druids?

Anyhoo,....I do look forward to reading the next one, but may chose a graphic novel version. I hear they are great fun, and it would have been great to have seen the pictures of new worlds hatching. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
I'm not your typical fan of Discworld. In fact, if it weren't for the first two books, I probably wouldn't be a fan at all. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A fun romp from the late, great Terry Pratchett, and a marked improvement on the first Discworld book, The Colour of Magic. I said in my review of that earlier book that I needed more from its successor to be convinced of Pratchett's brilliance, and I am happy to say I have received such evidence. Similar in tone to The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic nevertheless has much more about it: for one thing, this one actually has a plot. The jokes also come much thicker and faster and never grate (I only groaned once: at the looters/luters pun on page 238). I'm not quite 'there' yet as a fan, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the Discworld is going to be a good place for me to spend the odd afternoon. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 3, 2016 |
This was the second book published in the Discworld series, and it concluded the story that began in The Color of Magic.

I enjoyed this book a little more than the first one. It’s hard for me to pinpoint why, because it wasn’t drastically different from the first book, but I laughed more at the humor and I usually cared a little bit more about what would happen next in the story. I’m probably getting accustomed to the writing style and consequently doing a better job of just appreciating it for what it is.

The characters continued to grow on me. Rincewind and Twoflower went from “amusing but somewhat annoying” to “amusing and somewhat likable”. I thought Rincewind in particular had some nice character growth, which I’ll discuss a little more in spoiler tags below. I look forward to meeting some of the characters again and seeing what they’re up to.

There are a few spoilers for both books 1 and 2 within the spoiler tags:

This is just a little more explanation about what I meant by my reference to Rincewind's character growth. In the first book, his sole goal was to look out for himself. He might occasionally have felt bad about leaving somebody in harm's way and saving himself, but he did it anyway. He only helped other people when he was forced into it, such as when he was threatened by the luggage or the magic sword. By the end of the second book, however, he was slowly starting to change. He still thought about himself first, but sometimes he did the right thing in spite of himself, even when nobody was forcing him into it, almost as if it was becoming a habit. I like seeing that kind of more subtle character growth. But I was mad at him for kicking the luggage and saying he didn’t want it after Twoflower gave it to him! That was just mean.

I look forward to seeing how/if he develops in future books. I bet he'll get himself into all kinds of new trouble now that he doesn't have the spell from the Octavo preventing him from learning new spells anymore.
  YouKneeK | May 4, 2016 |
Rincewood, Twoflower, and the Luggage save Discworld from extinction. Terry Pratchett really makes me laugh. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020702, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestsellers in England, where they have garnered him a revered position in the halls of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The one individual who can save the world from a disastrous collision is "the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world."--Cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,697,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible