The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel by…

The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel (original 1986; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:stephmo
Title:The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 272 pages
Collections:From the Library
Tags:series, discworld, listsofbests, made into a movie, 2010_75_regular, read in 2010, fantasy, humor, magic, wizard, group hysteria, legend, philosophy, anthropomorphism, adventure, multiple dimensions, nature of the universe, creation myths, love, friendship

The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (1986)

English (119)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (127)
Like the first Discworld book, this one made me chuckle out loud a couple of times (such as when the people were breaking into shops and stealing musical instruments..."Luters, I expect."), and the story was fun, but I just can't really get myself to fall in love with the characters. Yet, at least. (The Luggage is fairly adorable, though, I suppose, and I do like Death quite a bit. But I can't seem to like Rincewind, poor fellow. Or Twoflower.) So, onward with the series, I suppose. woot. ( )
  electrascaife | Apr 16, 2017 |
The Light Fantastic is the second in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and picks up right where the first book left off. A red star has appeared in the sky and the Disc is heading straight for it. Only one person can save the world. Unfortunately it's the bumbling, incompetent wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

The book is presented in the regular Discworld format and is told as one contiguous story instead of the short story format of the first book. You can still see that Pratchett is still working on his world building as a few of what will become the regular cast are still being worked out. The style is almost to what we'll see in the rest of the series.

It took me a while to get into the book. Things started to pick up for me when Cohen the Barbarian joined the group. Who would've thought you could make an 87 year old twist of Conan be so much fun. And so useful! He definitely steals the scenes he is in and was a lot fun to read about. Also back are Twoflowers and the Luggage. Twoflowers continues to be blissfully ignorant and somehow manages to make it through his adventure ok. The Luggage, while as malevolent as ever, begins to take on a bit more depth as it starts to display some basic emotions. Not bad for an animated object. The story wraps up with a more touching the ending than I had expected. ( )
  Narilka | Mar 6, 2017 |
Rincewind continues his journey with Twoflower and the Luggage to it's inevitable end; hanging off into an abyss. Oops, spoiler there, but not much of one. We also meet Cohen the Barbarian and his never timid virgin bride. As Discworld moves closer to a red star with ominous overtones, our hero struggles to run away, but his feet will always betray him.

Characters are almost themselves in this the second book of the Discworld series. The puns are out in full force and the insight into humans and their behaviors are keen and sharp. Love it. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 22, 2017 |
We left the hopeless wizard Rincewind in a situation where, quite frankly, things could only get better. To be precise, he was plunging off the edge of the world. As this new novel gets underway, he receives both good news and bad. The good news is that, quite improbably, he’s somehow managed to end up in a tree somewhere on the Disc and that he isn’t dead. Yet. The bad news is that the Discworld is in the path of a huge red star, which is approaching at alarming speed and is due to wipe out the entire world in two months’ time… and only Rincewind can save it. Under these circumstances, as you may imagine, it’s a toss-up whether Rincewind or the world at large is more worried about the prospect...

For the rest of the review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2016/12/12/the-light-fantastic/ ( )
1 vote TheIdleWoman | Dec 12, 2016 |
Rincewind, a young wizard, has 1 of the Great 8 spells in his head. His comical adventures about why he has it and how he saves Discworld. I laughed out loud at least 5 times reading this. Pratchett is just funny... ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pratchett, Terrymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020702, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestsellers in England, where they have garnered him a revered position in the halls of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The one individual who can save the world from a disastrous collision is "the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world."--Cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,502,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible