The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel by…

The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel (original 1986; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

There is only one individual who can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, he happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.
Member:Falcon124
Title:The Light Fantastic: A Discworld Novel
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2005), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****

The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (1986)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Nikkles)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (ogingero)
    ogingero: both have witty satirical humour in an original fantasy.

English (144)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (154)
This is the second Discworld book and the second one I've read. I'm officially hooked. The writing is better here: more jokes (puns, one-liners, silly observations), focused plotting, filled out characters, and even a few poignant lines that lead me to believe there may be more to Pratchett than just a catalog of yuks.

I'll definitely be reading the next one in the series. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |

I'll definitely be reading the next one in the series. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
Unsurprisingly, given that that was one of the very early Discworld books, this story doesn't have the depth of story and world building that is seen in Pratchett's later books. I did find that the plot, while convoluted, did hold together really well once some amount of 'what the hey' had been applied - it helps that the whole premise of the Discworld is so fantastic that some of the really Deus ex Machina moments were easy enough to shrug off.

Rincewind, saviour of worlds, is caught up in History, despite his desperate attempt to be elsewhere. Hilarity ensues.

on rereading: It is amazing how much of the detail I forget of the Discworld books from one reading to the next. On this reading, I was particularly struck with the way Bethan was written - a teenager, but one who is practical and grown up and competent. ( )
  fred_mouse | Oct 29, 2019 |
It's been a couple of years since I read The Colour of Magic, but The Light Fantastic, which continues the escapades of Rincewind and Twoflower (completing with Travelling Luggage) had me from the opening line.

What a wonderful writer Pratchett was - endearing, human characters and a fantastic sense of humour. I certainly found something to giggle at on nearly every page, and laughed out loud quite a few times. I'll be getting hold of Equal Rites soon! ( )
  mooingzelda | Oct 23, 2019 |
This series is definitely a fun one! Great writing full of humor, even just humor about the writing itself, and full of interesting characters that are all nearly fatally flawed, but keep you rooting for them. ( )
1 vote Mactastik | Sep 4, 2019 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,314,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible