The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett

The Light Fantastic (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Terry Pratchett, Josh Kirby (Cover designer)

Member:Kampuskop
Title:The Light Fantastic
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Josh Kirby (Cover designer)
Info:Corgi (1986), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Tags:British comedy fantasy, Discworld Series, English, humour, The Luggage, Terry Pratchett, Rincewind, satire, Twoflower, wizards

The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (1986)

Recently added bybjoelle5, RanaLindy, private library, AltheaAnn, Schlachter, pintis, schesser

English (110)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (118)
The Discworld books are perhaps the only series that I've never felt the need to read in order... this one, I believe, is the second installment in the two-dozen-plus volume humorous series... I'm not usually much for reading 'humor,' but Pratchett (and Douglas Adams) are my exceptions. They really are very very funny.
In this one, the Discworld, atop its giant turtle cruising through space, is on a collision course with a giant star. The only way to avert disaster will be to have the eight spells of the tome known as the Octavo read simultaneously and at the right moment.... however, one of the spells has left the book and is lodged in the brain of the failed wizard Rincewind, who is in parts unknown with the archetypal Tourist, Twoflower, and his amazingly cute but quite possibly malevolent travelling Trunk, The Luggage. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Sequel to 'The Colour of Magic', this is the second Discworld book. It features Rincewind, about to drop off the edge of the world, with an important spell lodged in his brain...

Fast-paced, with some humour including a few one-liners that made me laugh out loud. Best read after The Colour of Magic. Not as brilliant as some of Pratchett's later work, but still enjoyable. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Amazing, of course. Rincewind's personality takes some interesting turns, largely due to the Spell's possession of him, but it will be interesting to see where he goes next, given what happens at the end of the book. I'm curious to see what he does next, if his predictions are true.

To be honest, I think Rincewind is a very great wizard indeed, because he is able to keep the Spell inside his head without going insane or losing his body to the dark forces at work. It's just that the Spell is so powerful too, it occupies all his magic power, leaving nothing left for him to actually work with. So maybe he could be a great wizard, if he hadn't taken that dare. Maybe... ( )
  jerenda | Jan 20, 2016 |
Two words: The Luggage. I love it. I want one. I want something that will eat anyone who messes with me. Thoroughly funny series, but I'm not that into science fiction, and I don't need to add that many more books to my reading list, hence the three stars. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Review to follow on my blog.

Better than the first one - funnier ( )
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020702, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestsellers in England, where they have garnered him a revered position in the halls of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:11 -0400)

The one individual who can save the world from a disastrous collision is "the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world."--Cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible