Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

Sourcery (original 1988; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett

Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2001), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Discworld

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett (1988)

English (79)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (85)
Having remembered my teenage crush on Simon in Equal Rites, I diverted from the witches books to read Sorcery, and remember my crush on Coin. There isn't actually a lot of Coin in Sorcery. I find it much less irritating than many of the Rincewind books, but they're not my favourite. And Coenna is interesting, but definitely a bit problematic. Still, it's funny, page turning, and reminded me of things I know by heart but have forgotten. I don't think as a kid I saw the 'don't let your controlling parents take over your life and tell you what to do' story as clearly, which is odd. But Rincewind's 'know what you truly are, even if you're not very good at it' story is cheering. ( )
  atreic | Oct 14, 2015 |
Fantastic special effects. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 8, 2015 |
Gostei ligeiramente menos que os outros. Foi algo mais lento a desenvolver que os primeiros
2, que são soberbos. Aqui Rincewind tenta salvar o mundo de feiticeiro possesso por um bastão que quer dominar e controlar o mundo pela magia. Encontra Conina, a filha do bárbaro, um cobarde candidato a bárbaro pelos livros que lê e um califa que apenas quer que as mulheres do seu harém lhe leiam histórias.
As personagens são engraçadas mas o livro estende-se por vezes e a mala com pernas, a minha personagem de eleição tem menos destaque do que desejaria. Mas quando aparece faz um estrondo.
Fico com interesse de continuar a ver o desenvolvimento das histórias em Discworld. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books.
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Sourcery is the fifth Discworld book and stands alone from any of the others. However, it’s definitely not one I would suggest starting with. If you’re interested in Discworld, I would suggest trying Guards! Guards!, Going Postal, or Small Gods.

Sourcery is one of the weakest books, and is more reminiscent of The Light Fantastic than anything else. It follows Rincewind and the wizards of the Unseen University when a sorcerer shows up, ready to take over the world.

I guess I just don’t find the plot of this one compelling. It’s very loose and unstructured, even if it’s grand in scale. There’s also the issue of Rincewind being the only memorable character. All the other wizards up to Moving Pictures are completely forgettable and get changed every book. The odd assortment of people Rincewind ends up traveling with really aren’t that intriguing or anything more than one note characters. In fact, they don’t even really do anything.

The installment also does badly on the female character front – at the levels of the first two books in the series. Conina is the daughter of Cohen the Barbarian but actually wants to be a hairdresser. She’s a fearsome fighter due to her barbarian genes, but she’s more a joke and walking sex appeal than anything else. She’s also the only female character to speak, or even to be named, in the entire book.

Sourcery‘s saving graces? There’s a pretty good Rincewind scene near the end that serves as a very memorable moment for his character. Vetinari’s introduced. The Librarian gets a significant amount of page time. It’s also, being a Pratchett novel, reliably funny.

I’d recommend this one only to people who are already fans of the series.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
1 vote pwaites | Mar 22, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many years ago I saw, in Bath, a very large American lady towing a huge tartan suitcase very fast on little rattly wheels which caught in the pavement cracks and generally gave it a life of its own. At that moment the Luggage was born. Many thanks to that lady and everyone else in places like Power Cable, Neb., who don't get nearly enough encouragement.
There was a man and he had eight sons.
The subject of wizards and sex is a complicated one, but as has already been indicated it does, in essence, boil down to this: when it comes to wine, women and song, wizards are allowed to get drunk and croon as much as they like.
Two thousand years of peaceful magic had gone down with the drain, the towers were going up again, and with all this new raw magic floating around something was going to get very seriously hurt. Probably the universe.
Strangely enough, he wasn't particularly angry. Anger is an emotion, and for emotion you need glands, and Death didn't have much truck with glands and needed a good run at it to get angry. But he was mildly annoyed. He sighed again. People were always trying this sort of thing. On the other hand, it was quite interesting to watch, and at least this was a bit more original than the usual symbolic chess game, which Death always dreaded because he could never remember how the knight was supposed to move.

There was an eighth son of an eighth son. He was, quite naturally a wizard. And there it should have ended. However (for reasons we had better not go into), he had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son...a wizard squared...a source of magic...a Sourcerer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020672, Mass Market Paperback)

When last seen, the singularly inept wizard Rincewind had fallen off the edge of the world. Now magically, he's turned up again, and this time he's brought the Luggage.

But that's not all....

Once upon a time, there was an eighth son of an eighth son who was, of course, a wizard. As if that wasn't complicated enough, said wizard then had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son -- a wizard squared (that's all the math, really). Who of course, was a source of magic -- a sorcerer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

Rincewind, the world's most inept wizard, magically returns after falling off the edge of the world, this time carrying the Luggage, in a humorous fantasy of magic and mayhem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible