Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

Sourcery (original 1988; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett

7,199None493 (3.7)130
Member:koalamom
Title:Sourcery
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2001), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Discworld

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett (1988)

20th century (30) British (42) comedy (85) comic fantasy (30) Discworld (1,116) ebook (45) English (34) fantasy (1,474) fantasy fiction (19) fiction (667) funny (20) humor (667) magic (108) novel (79) own (25) paperback (39) parody (35) Pratchett (194) read (117) Rincewind (204) satire (129) science fiction (78) series (87) sf (34) sff (69) speculative fiction (19) to-read (32) unread (22) unseen university (27) wizards (130)

English (67)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
Una novela más de MundoDisco. Eso no es bueno, ni malo, sino que todo lo contrario. Como novela de la serie MundoDisco no destaca demasiado. No es la que tiene la historia más original ni los personajes más llamativos. Sin embargo, sigue siendo un buen libro, con muchos chistes que me han hecho soltar sonrisas y hasta pequeñas carcajadas. Los hay mejores si se quiere empezar a leer algo de la saga, pero sigue siendo recomendable. ( )
  pablosuau | Feb 26, 2014 |
The hopping between groups of characters was maddening. It was torture with cliffhangers. Other than that, great book. Only three stars because all of Terry Pratchett's books seem to be in a league of their own and i apparently apply higher standards...or maybe it's the sameness of plot/characters/setting. ( )
  ancameme | Feb 9, 2014 |
Rincewind is a wizard, not because he is any good at magic, but because he believes himself to be one in his very heart-of-hearts. When a sorcerer - who doesn't just use magic, but is a source for new magic - comes to Unseen University and changes what it means to be a wizard, this conviction (and coincidentally, the rest of the world) stands on shaky ground. While the end of the world is possibly much more important than Rincewind's sense of place in it, he must reconcile who he is with how everyone else sees him in order to help anyone. Either helping or hindering, Conina (a barbarian brawler's daughter but wanna-be hairdresser), Creosote (a rich drunk masquerading as a simple poet), and Nigel (a grocer's son attempting to become a hero) all accompany Rincewind and attempt to come to terms with their own lots in life.

An entertaining view, as ever, which examines the role of talent in determining who any one person is meant to be. While the ending was a bit abrupt, and possibly flat, I'm always a fan of Rincewind's bumbling and reluctant adventures. ( )
  Larkken | Jan 25, 2014 |
Sometimes you just need a read that is dependably funny. For me that is any Discworld book by Terry Pratchett. I'm reading (and collecting) them in publication order, and this time it was #5, Sourcery. It is the third Rincewind novel.
That Discworld has wizards is well-known. They have their own university, and are pretty harmless for the most part. They don't bother the people of Ankh-Morpok, and the people ignore them. But the eighth son of the eighth son is a wizard. And his eighth son, Coin, something unheard of in the celibate (for exactly this reason) world of wizard, is a sorcerer, a source of magic power himself. Influenced by his father he is slowly taking over Discworld, and the only one who can (but doesn't particularly want to) save the world is Rincewind, accompanied by the Luggage.
I found the Pratchett/Discworld humor that I expected, with funny references to our world and way of doing things. The absurdity of the story was exactly what I needed. A nice 'just-as-expected' Discworld novel, four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Dec 18, 2013 |
I tried to read [b:The Color of Magic|34497|The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)|Terry Pratchett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348426385s/34497.jpg|194190] a couple of times and couldn't get into it. Discworld really seemed like something I should like so I finally started with [b:Equal Rites|34507|Equal Rites (Discworld, #3)|Terry Pratchett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348422848s/34507.jpg|583611] (which I loved) and went from there. So while this is my 3rd Discworld read, it's actually my first featuring Rincewind.

In the reviews much is made of Rincewind's cowardice. But I think he's only cowardly by fantasy fiction standards, where people tend to jump into danger to save the day without a thought, confident in their abilities to work it out. But in the end Rincewind is the one to act to set things right, to confront the issue and to act in defense of others. And in the end isn't that what bravery and heroism are? Acting upon what you know to be right, even when you don't want to do it and it makes you afraid?

Anyhoo, deep thoughts on the nature of bravery aside, there are as always too many quotable quotes to list. The humor and satire are there in full force. The only reason this gets 4 stars instead of 5 is that I did find some parts to be a little draggy and I had issues telling some of the other wizards apart. In the book's defense it was an awful week at work and I was tired most of the time I was reading it so that may have been a factor. Now that I've had a proper introduction to Rincewind I'm going to try [b:The Color of Magic|34497|The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)|Terry Pratchett|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348426385s/34497.jpg|194190] again. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many years ago I saw, in Bath, a very large American lady towing a huge tartan suitcase very fast on little rattly wheels which caught in the pavement cracks and generally gave it a life of its own. At that moment the Luggage was born. Many thanks to that lady and everyone else in places like Power Cable, Neb., who don't get nearly enough encouragement.
There was a man and he had eight sons.
The subject of wizards and sex is a complicated one, but as has already been indicated it does, in essence, boil down to this: when it comes to wine, women and song, wizards are allowed to get drunk and croon as much as they like.
Two thousand years of peaceful magic had gone down with the drain, the towers were going up again, and with all this new raw magic floating around something was going to get very seriously hurt. Probably the universe.
Strangely enough, he wasn't particularly angry. Anger is an emotion, and for emotion you need glands, and Death didn't have much truck with glands and needed a good run at it to get angry. But he was mildly annoyed. He sighed again. People were always trying this sort of thing. On the other hand, it was quite interesting to watch, and at least this was a bit more original than the usual symbolic chess game, which Death always dreaded because he could never remember how the knight was supposed to move.

There was an eighth son of an eighth son. He was, quite naturally a wizard. And there it should have ended. However (for reasons we had better not go into), he had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son...a wizard squared...a source of magic...a Sourcerer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020672, Mass Market Paperback)

When last seen, the singularly inept wizard Rincewind had fallen off the edge of the world. Now magically, he's turned up again, and this time he's brought the Luggage.

But that's not all....

Once upon a time, there was an eighth son of an eighth son who was, of course, a wizard. As if that wasn't complicated enough, said wizard then had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son -- a wizard squared (that's all the math, really). Who of course, was a source of magic -- a sorcerer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:23 -0400)

Rincewind, the world's most inept wizard, magically returns after falling off the edge of the world, this time carrying the Luggage, in a humorous fantasy of magic and mayhem.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible