Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

Sourcery (original 1988; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:koalamom
Title:Sourcery
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2001), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Discworld

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett (1988)

English (83)  Polish (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (89)
This is fifth in the Discworld series, but not one of my favourites. There are lots of viewpoints, lots of people. Rincewind the incompetent wizard finds himself in the midst of another adventure, with a barbarian girl who wants to be a hairdresser, and a young geeky guy who wants to be a barbarian. We meet a genie with an answering machine. And the librarian, who is an ape, seems to be the only person around with any idea of what’s going on when the eighth son of a wizard turns up and starts to do some real magic, rather to the dismay of the mostly bumbling wizards of Ankh-Morpork.

It’s classic Pratchett, and I’m glad I re-read it, of only to appreciate the cleverness of his convoluted plots, and his original similes and metaphors that appear when least expected. But it didn’t really do anything for me; the classical and other allusions were minimal, the satire on humanity almost nill. The end of the story was a bit of a let-down, too. Worth reading as part of the series - Pratchett never wrote a BAD book - but not, in my view, one of the best Discworld books. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is the 5th book in the DiscWorld series and so far, my favorite. Except for a quickened and fairly weak ending, I though that this book was hilarious. It had my favorite characters in it (Rincewind and librarian) and the dialog kept me laughing. Great book. ( )
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
In Discworld the only thing for an eighth son of an eighth son to do is to become a wizard. So it follows that an eighth son of an eighth son of an eighth son would be a sourcerer, or a source of magic. The problem is that a sourcerer's magic is too powerful for the universe, so when one shows up at Unseen University, the whole Disc is threatened. It's up to everyone's favorite inept wizard, Rincewind, to save the world.

I did enjoy this book, but it's not one of Pratchett's best (his later books tend to be better than his earlier ones). It just seems like sometimes Pratchett doesn't explain how things in his universe (or multiverse, I should say) work well enough for me to fully grasp why something is happening. His hilarious characters make up for any shortcomings in the plot, however. I especially especially like The Luggage, so that was a definite plus for this book. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
In this Discworld novel, a sorcerer has been born on the Disc. Can Rincewind stop him from bringing about the end of the world? This was a typical Disworld novel with returning characters, such as Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian, and some new ones too. I think I liked Rincewind a little more in this one than in previous novels he has been the focus of, but I still found myself skimming a lot of passages to get to the end of the book. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
Having remembered my teenage crush on Simon in Equal Rites, I diverted from the witches books to read Sorcery, and remember my crush on Coin. There isn't actually a lot of Coin in Sorcery. I find it much less irritating than many of the Rincewind books, but they're not my favourite. And Coenna is interesting, but definitely a bit problematic. Still, it's funny, page turning, and reminded me of things I know by heart but have forgotten. I don't think as a kid I saw the 'don't let your controlling parents take over your life and tell you what to do' story as clearly, which is odd. But Rincewind's 'know what you truly are, even if you're not very good at it' story is cheering. ( )
  atreic | Oct 14, 2015 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, TomCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, DarrellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
Many years ago I saw, in Bath, a very large American lady towing a huge tartan suitcase very fast on little rattly wheels which caught in the pavement cracks and generally gave it a life of its own. At that moment the Luggage was born. Many thanks to that lady and everyone else in places like Power Cable, Neb., who don't get nearly enough encouragement.
There was a man and he had eight sons.
The subject of wizards and sex is a complicated one, but as has already been indicated it does, in essence, boil down to this: when it comes to wine, women and song, wizards are allowed to get drunk and croon as much as they like.
Two thousand years of peaceful magic had gone down with the drain, the towers were going up again, and with all this new raw magic floating around something was going to get very seriously hurt. Probably the universe.
Strangely enough, he wasn't particularly angry. Anger is an emotion, and for emotion you need glands, and Death didn't have much truck with glands and needed a good run at it to get angry. But he was mildly annoyed. He sighed again. People were always trying this sort of thing. On the other hand, it was quite interesting to watch, and at least this was a bit more original than the usual symbolic chess game, which Death always dreaded because he could never remember how the knight was supposed to move.

There was an eighth son of an eighth son. He was, quite naturally a wizard. And there it should have ended. However (for reasons we had better not go into), he had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son...a wizard squared...a source of magic...a Sourcerer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020672, Mass Market Paperback)

When last seen, the singularly inept wizard Rincewind had fallen off the edge of the world. Now magically, he's turned up again, and this time he's brought the Luggage.

But that's not all....

Once upon a time, there was an eighth son of an eighth son who was, of course, a wizard. As if that wasn't complicated enough, said wizard then had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son -- a wizard squared (that's all the math, really). Who of course, was a source of magic -- a sorcerer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:59 -0400)

Rincewind, the world's most inept wizard, magically returns after falling off the edge of the world, this time carrying the Luggage, in a humorous fantasy of magic and mayhem.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,082,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible