Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett

Carpe Jugulum (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:MarcusAverius
Title:Carpe Jugulum
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Books (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 424 pages
Collections:Your library, Read It
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Comical Fantasy

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett (1998)

English (64)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (67)
Carpe Jugulum is the sixth and final book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. This has been my favorite Discworld subseries, mainly because Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg have been so much fun, so I’ll miss it. This is also the first subseries I’ve completed, unless you count Ancient Civilizations which consists of two loosely-related books grouped under that heading in The Discworld Reading Order Guide.

The title is a pretty good hint about the story: Carpe Jugulum, seize the throat. I’ll let you use your imagination to figure out the premise. :) This one had a good story, but it wasn’t quite as funny as some of the earlier Witches books. It did have humor, but I think it was just missing more Granny Weatherwax. She played an important part in the story, but she didn’t get much page time. On the other hand, Agnes is a fun character and she featured prominently along with Nanny, so I was happy about that. Magrat shows up a little bit too, but she’s far less annoying than she was in the earlier books. This book also contains a bit of a follow up to one of the earlier books, Small Gods, and that was fun to see.

My only other comment needs to go behind spoiler tags. Don’t click if you haven’t read the book! With this being the last Witches book and with all of the false foreshadowing, I spent most of this book worried that Granny Weatherwax would be dead or something by the end. It isn’t too often that I feel any sort of real suspense when reading a Discworld book, but I did this time. I was happy that she was still alive and well by the end. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Jan 3, 2017 |
A vampire book second only to Dracula in my opinion. What I enjoy about these books, is that along with a great and fun story, there are depths of thought to be plumbed. I enjoyed the contrast between religion and faith and love vs. works ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 18, 2016 |
Verence, king of Lancre, invites lots and lots of people to his and Magrat's daughter's naming. Including some vampires, who are progressive, ie, they don't ravage and pillage, but treat humans like cattle. Ends up as a battle between the vampire family and the witches, with a slice of Omnian priest thrown in.

I really enjoyed this. Except for the bits where you can tell he's actually writing about Christianity, not Omnianism. Man, I hate it when authors displace their feelings like that. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I almost always enjoy a Pratchet and I really enjoy Granny Weatherwax, so this one was fun. The ending went on too long - too much of a good thing - but that is a minor quibble. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
This is the last Witches novel before the Tiffany Aching ones. And it certainly sets itself up to be granny Weatherwax's final book. But you know that's not how Weatherwaxes do things. So expect twists and fake outs and mind games. And we get to see Granny at her best, even when it seems like everything is going to fail.

This book is supposedly about what happens when vampires come to Lancre. But there are so many subplots it's hard to fully appreciate every story. There's the vampire one, but even that is muddied by talking both about "modern vampire culture" and the "two mindedness" of Agnes/Perdita. There's the nac mac feegle storyline, which, frankly, could have been left out without too much lost. There was the phoenix storyline, which probably had some sort of allegorical meaning about being undead versus rising from the ashes. But it just kinda came out of no where, and everything was really just solved in the end by tradition and granny. As it should be. All the other things are exciting and colorful, but really it always comes down to that fight at the line between light and dark.

Some of the most interesting passages were the conversations between Rev Oats and the witches. Pratchett's commentary on modern Christianity and beliefs is really insightful. Again, the Omnian subplot was not integral, but I guess there was just so much in the book you're going to like some parts and find some parts extraneous.

Overall, there were many threads throughout the book, and each of them could have held a whole novel. As it stands, it manages to do lots of things just okay, but none of them really well. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coates, EricDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Galian, Carl D.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the shredded black clouds a fire moved like a dying star, falling back to earth - the earth, that is, of the Discworld - but unlike any star had ever done before, it sometimes managed to steer its fall, sometimes rising, sometimes twisting, but inevitably heading down.

Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be priest. He thought he’d come to Lancre for a simple ceremony. Now he’s caught up in a war between vampires and witches.

There’s Young Agnes, who is really in two minds about everything. Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies, Nanny Ogg ... and Granny Weatherwax, who is big trouble.

And the vampires are intelligent. They’ve got style and fancy waistcoats. They’re out of the casket and want a bite of the future. Mightily Oats knows he has a prayer, but he wishes he had an axe.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020397, Mass Market Paperback)

Carpe Jugulum is the 23rd Discworld novel, and with it this durable series continues its juggernaut procession onward. Pratchett is an author who inspires such devotions that his fans will fall on the novel with cries of joy. Nonfans, perhaps, will want to know what all the fuss is about; and that's something difficult to put into a few words. The best thing to do for those completely new to Pratchett is to sample him for themselves, and this novel is as good a place to start as any. But fans have a more precise question. They know that Discworld novels come in one of two varieties: the quite good and the brilliant. So, for instance, where Hogfather and Maskerade were quite good, Feet of Clay and Jingo were brilliant. While true fans wouldn't want to do without the former, they absolutely live for the latter. And with Carpe Jugulum, Pratchett has hit the jackpot again. This novel is one of the brilliant ones.

The plot is a version of an earlier Discworld novel, Lords and Ladies, with the predatory elves of that novel being replaced here by suave and deadly vampires, and the tiny kingdom of Lancre being defended by its witches. But plot is the least of Pratchett's appeal, and Carpe Jugulum is loaded with marvelous characters (not least the witches themselves, about whom we learn a deal more), comic touches and scenes of genius, and even some of the renowned down-to-earth Pratchett wisdom (about the inner ethical conflicts we all face and the wrongness of treating people as things). Pratchett's vampires are elegant Bela Lugosi types, and they come up against an unlikely but engaging alliance of witches; blue-skinned pixies like Rob Roy Smurfs; a doubting priest with a boil on his face; and a magical house-size Phoenix in a seamless, completely absorbing, and feel-good-about-the-universe mixture. Highly recommended. --Adam Roberts, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

King Verence unwittingly invites trouble when he opens the doors of the castle to Uberwald's undead, the Magpyrs, to celebrate the birth of his daughter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,183,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible