Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett

Carpe Jugulum (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:MarcusAverius
Title:Carpe Jugulum
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Books (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 424 pages
Collections:Your library, Read It
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Fantasy, Comical Fantasy

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett (1998)

20th century (26) British (39) comedy (62) comic fantasy (31) Discworld (1,047) ebook (34) English (32) fantasy (1,402) fiction (665) Granny Weatherwax (40) hardcover (28) humor (647) Lancre (33) magic (48) Nanny Ogg (26) novel (64) own (30) paperback (37) parody (27) Pratchett (180) read (101) satire (121) science fiction (57) series (64) sf (36) sff (73) to-read (26) unread (27) vampires (306) witches (224)

English (53)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
I took a little while to get into this one, but about 50 pages-ish in, it started motoring along. Funny vampires always good by me. Though now I want to watch some of the goofier Buffy episodes. ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
Verence, king of Lancre, invites lots and lots of people to his and Magrat's daughter's naming. Including some vampires, who are progressive, ie, they don't ravage and pillage, but treat humans like cattle. Ends up as a battle between the vampire family and the witches, with a slice of Omnian priest thrown in.

I really enjoyed this. Except for the bits where you can tell he's actually writing about Christianity, not Omnianism. Man, I hate it when authors displace their feelings like that. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galian, Carl D.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the shredded black clouds a fire moved like a dying star, falling back to earth - the earth, that is, of the Discworld - but unlike any star had ever done before, it sometimes managed to steer its fall, sometimes rising, sometimes twisting, but inevitably heading down.

Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be priest. He thought he’d come to Lancre for a simple ceremony. Now he’s caught up in a war between vampires and witches.

There’s Young Agnes, who is really in two minds about everything. Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies, Nanny Ogg ... and Granny Weatherwax, who is big trouble.

And the vampires are intelligent. They’ve got style and fancy waistcoats. They’re out of the casket and want a bite of the future. Mightily Oats knows he has a prayer, but he wishes he had an axe.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020397, Mass Market Paperback)

Carpe Jugulum is the 23rd Discworld novel, and with it this durable series continues its juggernaut procession onward. Pratchett is an author who inspires such devotions that his fans will fall on the novel with cries of joy. Nonfans, perhaps, will want to know what all the fuss is about; and that's something difficult to put into a few words. The best thing to do for those completely new to Pratchett is to sample him for themselves, and this novel is as good a place to start as any. But fans have a more precise question. They know that Discworld novels come in one of two varieties: the quite good and the brilliant. So, for instance, where Hogfather and Maskerade were quite good, Feet of Clay and Jingo were brilliant. While true fans wouldn't want to do without the former, they absolutely live for the latter. And with Carpe Jugulum, Pratchett has hit the jackpot again. This novel is one of the brilliant ones.

The plot is a version of an earlier Discworld novel, Lords and Ladies, with the predatory elves of that novel being replaced here by suave and deadly vampires, and the tiny kingdom of Lancre being defended by its witches. But plot is the least of Pratchett's appeal, and Carpe Jugulum is loaded with marvelous characters (not least the witches themselves, about whom we learn a deal more), comic touches and scenes of genius, and even some of the renowned down-to-earth Pratchett wisdom (about the inner ethical conflicts we all face and the wrongness of treating people as things). Pratchett's vampires are elegant Bela Lugosi types, and they come up against an unlikely but engaging alliance of witches; blue-skinned pixies like Rob Roy Smurfs; a doubting priest with a boil on his face; and a magical house-size Phoenix in a seamless, completely absorbing, and feel-good-about-the-universe mixture. Highly recommended. --Adam Roberts, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:54 -0400)

King Verence unwittingly invites trouble when he opens the doors of the castle to Uberwald's undead, the Magpyrs, to celebrate the birth of his daughter.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,550,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible