Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett

Carpe Jugulum (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:laranth
Title:Carpe Jugulum
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, humor, discworld

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett (1998)

English (62)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  English (65)
I almost always enjoy a Pratchet and I really enjoy Granny Weatherwax, so this one was fun. The ending went on too long - too much of a good thing - but that is a minor quibble. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
This is the last Witches novel before the Tiffany Aching ones. And it certainly sets itself up to be granny Weatherwax's final book. But you know that's not how Weatherwaxes do things. So expect twists and fake outs and mind games. And we get to see Granny at her best, even when it seems like everything is going to fail.

This book is supposedly about what happens when vampires come to Lancre. But there are so many subplots it's hard to fully appreciate every story. There's the vampire one, but even that is muddied by talking both about "modern vampire culture" and the "two mindedness" of Agnes/Perdita. There's the nac mac feegle storyline, which, frankly, could have been left out without too much lost. There was the phoenix storyline, which probably had some sort of allegorical meaning about being undead versus rising from the ashes. But it just kinda came out of no where, and everything was really just solved in the end by tradition and granny. As it should be. All the other things are exciting and colorful, but really it always comes down to that fight at the line between light and dark.

Some of the most interesting passages were the conversations between Rev Oats and the witches. Pratchett's commentary on modern Christianity and beliefs is really insightful. Again, the Omnian subplot was not integral, but I guess there was just so much in the book you're going to like some parts and find some parts extraneous.

Overall, there were many threads throughout the book, and each of them could have held a whole novel. As it stands, it manages to do lots of things just okay, but none of them really well. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
One of the best discworld novels. It uses it setting to great effect to look at how we view ourselves and others and how different belief systems can live together. ( )
  bhutton | Nov 3, 2016 |
I just finished re-re-re...reading this one. It's a pleasure each time. I am writing this on 18 March 2015. The incomparable Terry Pratchett died on the 12th. The news hit me much harder than I expected it would. I have spent a considerable amount of time in the Discworld Universe over the years. I kind of felt I knew Terry at some personal level after that, even though we never met. He was like a friend, a mentor, a philosophical relative...

Anyway, I needed some kind of catharsis after the sad news, so I looked at my shelves and grabbed Carpe Jugulum. The selection wasn't entirely random. In this book, Granny Weatherwax is at her prickly best. She confronts a problem more powerful than herself (Vampires...or 'Vampyres' with a 'y' to be more modern). She knows she can't beat them in any conventional sense. But Granny is no conventional witch.

Her resolve and her bravery in facing what might well be, in fact is likely to be, her death are, I imagine, much like how Sir Terry faced his 'embuggerance'. It was likely to kill him, but he met the challenge with resolve, struggled on despite how difficult his debilitating disease must have made it, and continued his service to both the Discworld and our round world for as long as he could.

I suppose this has been more of a tribute to the author than a book review, but I recommend this book. I recommend all of the Discworld books. They are what fiction should be— entertaining, enlightening, informative, fun, and when you need it, uplifting. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Once again the kingdom of Lancre is in a tough spot and it’s up to Granny, Nanny, and Agnes to face-off with an enemy whose motto is Carpe Jugulum. In the 23rd installment, sixth in the Witches subseries, of Terry Pratchett’s fantasy-humor series sees vampires, sorry vampyrs, from the country of Uberwald take center stage as they are invited to invade Lancre only to get invaded back.

Lancre is celebrating the birth of Princess Esmerelda Margaret, her father has invited everyone to join the celebration including many foreign dignitaries including the ruling Count of Uberwald. Unfortunately the Count is a vampire, sorry vampyr, which means he gets to come in and take over the place. Of course, Nanny and Agnes instantly know they need to stop this and when they go to get Granny they discover an even worse problem, she’s packed up and left because the Count’s mental barrier is really strong. However after Nanny, Agnes, and their new trio member Queen Magrat herself rejoins the coven and confronts the Count leading to bad results, Granny comes in and seemingly gets defeated by the vampires. However, sometimes a defeat is a victory in disguise.

Unlike some previous Discworld books, Pratchett keeps this one tight with subplots and secondary characters being closely connected with the main story and characters. Mightily Oats, a priest of Om whose been having a crises of faith his entire life, and the blue pixie clan the “Wee Free Men” are some of the highlights of this tightened plot and subplot connection as they are both integral yet separate at the same time to the overall story. While I do not know if Mightily Oats makes a return appearance, I do know that the blue pixie clan’s time in the series I just beginning and I’m looking forward to seeing how their story will develop.

Carpe Jugulum is a very good book, but because of the feeling that it is just Lords and Ladies it falls short of being a great installment in the Discworld series. ( )
  mattries37315 | Jul 25, 2016 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coates, EricDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Galian, Carl D.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the shredded black clouds a fire moved like a dying star, falling back to earth - the earth, that is, of the Discworld - but unlike any star had ever done before, it sometimes managed to steer its fall, sometimes rising, sometimes twisting, but inevitably heading down.

Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be priest. He thought he’d come to Lancre for a simple ceremony. Now he’s caught up in a war between vampires and witches.

There’s Young Agnes, who is really in two minds about everything. Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies, Nanny Ogg ... and Granny Weatherwax, who is big trouble.

And the vampires are intelligent. They’ve got style and fancy waistcoats. They’re out of the casket and want a bite of the future. Mightily Oats knows he has a prayer, but he wishes he had an axe.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020397, Mass Market Paperback)

Carpe Jugulum is the 23rd Discworld novel, and with it this durable series continues its juggernaut procession onward. Pratchett is an author who inspires such devotions that his fans will fall on the novel with cries of joy. Nonfans, perhaps, will want to know what all the fuss is about; and that's something difficult to put into a few words. The best thing to do for those completely new to Pratchett is to sample him for themselves, and this novel is as good a place to start as any. But fans have a more precise question. They know that Discworld novels come in one of two varieties: the quite good and the brilliant. So, for instance, where Hogfather and Maskerade were quite good, Feet of Clay and Jingo were brilliant. While true fans wouldn't want to do without the former, they absolutely live for the latter. And with Carpe Jugulum, Pratchett has hit the jackpot again. This novel is one of the brilliant ones.

The plot is a version of an earlier Discworld novel, Lords and Ladies, with the predatory elves of that novel being replaced here by suave and deadly vampires, and the tiny kingdom of Lancre being defended by its witches. But plot is the least of Pratchett's appeal, and Carpe Jugulum is loaded with marvelous characters (not least the witches themselves, about whom we learn a deal more), comic touches and scenes of genius, and even some of the renowned down-to-earth Pratchett wisdom (about the inner ethical conflicts we all face and the wrongness of treating people as things). Pratchett's vampires are elegant Bela Lugosi types, and they come up against an unlikely but engaging alliance of witches; blue-skinned pixies like Rob Roy Smurfs; a doubting priest with a boil on his face; and a magical house-size Phoenix in a seamless, completely absorbing, and feel-good-about-the-universe mixture. Highly recommended. --Adam Roberts, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

King Verence unwittingly invites trouble when he opens the doors of the castle to Uberwald's undead, the Magpyrs, to celebrate the birth of his daughter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible