Buried Prey by John Sandford

Buried Prey (edition 2012)

by John Sandford

Member:grandville.celia
Title:Buried Prey
Authors:John Sandford
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:Favorites

Buried Prey by John Sandford

This was a high paced engaging thriller as is Sandford's wont. While I find the character of Davenport overblown and bigger than life, he is still within acceptable boundaries. A personal fluke which I rather dislike is the penchant for fashion, although I'm sure it is a literary device meant to be woven into the fabric of the character. I have read almost all the prey series and they are so good that each time I see one I am psyched and want to obtain it, cannot resist pulling it off the shelf and into my shopping cart. I now have read so many that I need to carry the list with me so as not to accidentally "double up." One of the things in this novel that I really enjoyed was the development of secondary characters such as the adopted daughter, Letty...and Del. This clever technique helps to magnetize the novel and draw a smooth even patina across the entire series. The facet of the intra-departmental rivalry is carried off well, and it is interesting to see the use of sacrificing a semi-heroic figure (Marcy) is exchange for dramatic value. Technically suave and well written, certainly very engaging; a good value for money, page turning thriller that will keep you up later than you should be. Another Sandfor hit. ( )
  Phoenixangelfire | Apr 6, 2014 |
I love the repartee between Lucas Davenport and the other characters, especially his sometime partner Del. These books go down like a creamy milkshake without the calories. This is about the discovery of the bodies, in the present day, of two little girls who disappeared when Davenport was just starting out. He worked the case, and never believed that the homeless guy who was tagged as the murder was actually guilty. There is a large chunk of the narrative set back in that time. And in the present, well, there wouldn't be a book now, would there, if his instincts were wrong back then ( )
  auldtwa1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
  auldtwa1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Finally Sandford returns to the focus on investigation which he does well. While late in the series, this book takes us back to Davenport's very early days as a cop, and it's one of the better books, since the emphasis is on investigation.

While a block of old buildings is being torn down as part of a redevelopment project, the skeletons of two girls are dug up while working on the foundation for a new building. That triggers Davenport's memory back many years before, when he was a uniform cop, two young girls disappeared. Driven to both find evidence of the girls and to track down the "perp" and to get noticed by the brass so he can get out of uniform, Lucas works 24/7 chasing down every possible lead, but they consistently run up against dead ends. And the girls are never found. The one major suspect is tracked down, but - well you'll have to find out for yourself which suspect I reference.

Fast forward to the present and the skeletons, Lucas, despite that it's a Minneapolis Police case, with renewed energy, starts his own re-investigation. It's the hunt that provides interest for me and the killer in Buried Prey is especially devious which makes the chase that much more interesting. It's when Sandford starts in on the peripheral personal relationships that I have difficulty controlling my snooze control and anti-barf mechanisms. But then Richard Ferrone's excellent narration brings it back.

As much as I find the Prey series a pleasant way to kill time, I'm always disturbed by the undercurrent of support for vigilantism. He surrounds himself with colleagues who can keep their mouths shut about his own law-breaking, which he justifies in the name of the law. Lucas wants to be on the scene first when they find the killer so he can kill him. No attempt to verify that he has the right person or even thought of a trial. (I suppose that's just evidence of Davenport's arrogance yet he is the instrument of the innocent Scrape's (sp?) killing.) When those charged with enforcing the law take it into their own hands we are perilously close to despotism. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Product Description Some secrets just can't stay buried, in the brilliant new Lucas Davenport thriller from the number-one New York Times- bestselling author. "One of the best," said Kirkus Reviews of Storm Prey. "Razor-sharp dialogue, a tautly controlled pace and enough homicides for a miniseries. What more could fans want?" A house demolition provides an unpleasant surprise for Minneapolis-the bodies of two girls, wrapped in plastic. It looks like they've been there a long time. Lucas Davenport knows exactly how long. In 1985, Davenport was a young cop with a reputation for recklessness, and the girls' disappearance was a big deal. His bosses ultimately declared the case closed, but he never agreed with that. Now that he has a chance to investigate it all over again, one thing is becoming increasingly clear: It wasn't just the bodies that were buried. It was the truth. About the Author John Sandford is the author of twenty-one Prey novels and ten other books of fiction, most recently the Virgil Flowers novel Bad Blood. He lives in Minnesota. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Most interesting for its long look at the young Lucas, who’s considerably more humorous, profane and loosely wrapped than the peerless agent of Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension he becomes.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2011)

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michele
The first machines on the site were the wreckers, like steel dinosaurs, plucking and pulling at the houses with jaws that ripped off chimneys, shingles, dormers, and eaves, clapboard and brick and stone and masonry, beams and stairs and balconies and joists, headers and doorjambs.

For twenty-five years the unsolved kidnapping of two young girls has haunted Lucas Davenport. Today, two bodies have been found. Today, he returns to a crime - and a nightmare - darker than any before.

Back in 1985, two girls disappeared, and fledgling cop Lucas Davenport couldn't get over it, even when his boss declared the case closed. Now a house has been torn down, the bodies of two girls wrapped in plastic have been found, and Davenport is back on the case.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible