Buried Prey by John Sandford

Buried Prey (edition 2012)

by John Sandford

Member:grandville.celia
Title:Buried Prey
Authors:John Sandford
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:Favorites

Buried Prey by John Sandford

Some secrets just can't stay buried, in the brilliant new Lucas Davenport thriller from the number-one New York Times- bestselling author. "One of the best," said Kirkus Reviews of Storm Prey. "Razor-sharp dialogue, a tautly controlled pace and enough homicides for a miniseries. What more could fans want?" A house demolition provides an unpleasant surprise for Minneapolis-the bodies of two girls, wrapped in plastic. It looks like they've been there... ( )
  Tutter | Mar 1, 2015 |
For some reason I couldn’t remember this book as well as the first one I read. It could be because I kind of rushed my way through it. This story starts with the discovery of two little girls buried under a house. Lucas Davenport knows exactly how long they’ve been there, he was a patrol officer when they disappeared. Lucas is sure he knows who killed them, the man he was searching for and never found, the man he stopped searching for when another man was suspected (and apparently framed), then killed in a shoot-out. Now as Lucas searches for the killer, he is haunted by the thought that other little girls may have been killed because of what he didn’t do.

This book takes us back to the original investigation, from what I read this is before the series started. As he works the case feverishly, because he ‘wants to get out of patrol’, we see the instinct and knowledge that make him a superior investigator. Then we come to the present day investigation, Lucas wants to be a part of it, part of him wants revenge which worries his family and friends. This doesn’t affect his focus or skills, and he pursues his prey relentlessly. Even though Lucas is extremely smart, we see glimpses that he is human too, but his failings are not the failings of a bad man, they are just mistakes, or not looking at the situation from all angles. Which is why he has friends and consults with others.

Once again we are walking beside the killer, although in this book we don’t know his name, and when the police pick up a suspect and something happens we know it’s not the right one. Then they find out, and the chase is on again.

I enjoyed this book as much as the first one and recommend it to mystery fans. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
This was a high paced engaging thriller as is Sandford's wont. While I find the character of Davenport overblown and bigger than life, he is still within acceptable boundaries. A personal fluke which I rather dislike is the penchant for fashion, although I'm sure it is a literary device meant to be woven into the fabric of the character. I have read almost all the prey series and they are so good that each time I see one I am psyched and want to obtain it, cannot resist pulling it off the shelf and into my shopping cart. I now have read so many that I need to carry the list with me so as not to accidentally "double up." One of the things in this novel that I really enjoyed was the development of secondary characters such as the adopted daughter, Letty...and Del. This clever technique helps to magnetize the novel and draw a smooth even patina across the entire series. The facet of the intra-departmental rivalry is carried off well, and it is interesting to see the use of sacrificing a semi-heroic figure (Marcy) is exchange for dramatic value. Technically suave and well written, certainly very engaging; a good value for money, page turning thriller that will keep you up later than you should be. Another Sandfor hit. ( )
  Phoenixangelfire | Apr 6, 2014 |
I love the repartee between Lucas Davenport and the other characters, especially his sometime partner Del. These books go down like a creamy milkshake without the calories. This is about the discovery of the bodies, in the present day, of two little girls who disappeared when Davenport was just starting out. He worked the case, and never believed that the homeless guy who was tagged as the murder was actually guilty. There is a large chunk of the narrative set back in that time. And in the present, well, there wouldn't be a book now, would there, if his instincts were wrong back then ( )
  auldtwa1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
  auldtwa1 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Most interesting for its long look at the young Lucas, who’s considerably more humorous, profane and loosely wrapped than the peerless agent of Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension he becomes.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2011)

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michele
The first machines on the site were the wreckers, like steel dinosaurs, plucking and pulling at the houses with jaws that ripped off chimneys, shingles, dormers, and eaves, clapboard and brick and stone and masonry, beams and stairs and balconies and joists, headers and doorjambs.

For twenty-five years the unsolved kidnapping of two young girls has haunted Lucas Davenport. Today, two bodies have been found. Today, he returns to a crime - and a nightmare - darker than any before.

Back in 1985, two girls disappeared, and fledgling cop Lucas Davenport couldn't get over it, even when his boss declared the case closed. Now a house has been torn down, the bodies of two girls wrapped in plastic have been found, and Davenport is back on the case.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,016,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible