Buried Prey by John Sandford

Buried Prey (edition 2012)

by John Sandford

Member:grandville.celia
Title:Buried Prey
Authors:John Sandford
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:Favorites

Buried Prey by John Sandford

Wow! This sure was a wild ride from start to finish. There was a little bit at the beginning where they did a flashback portion and I thought it went a little overlong and started to edge toward tedious but once it was over Sandford didn't do anymore flashbacks and it turned out to be super important to the plot for the reader to be able to see what happened in the past.

I loved the characters. Each one has their own voice and personality and it really shines through. I loved the way Lucas and Del played off each other, I loved Lucas's sense of humor, and I loved his relationship with his adoptive daughter, Letty.

This is the 21st book in the Lucas Davenport series, but it's the first one I've read and I didn't feel as though I was missing a single thing by picking it up right here. It really is its own self-contained story and it's really got me interested in looking into more Lucas Davenport novels. I also really enjoyed the fact that there was some crossover with at least one other Sandford series, the Virgil Flower series. It wasn't a lot, but it was definitely nice. I've read one of the Virgil Flowers novels as well, and so it was really fun to see that crossover and then to also see many areas where there was crossover from the Lucas Davenport series with the Virgil Flowers book I read but hadn't known was happening at the time because I hadn't read a Davenport book yet.

I think Lucas Davenport is probably going to turn out to be one of my favorite characters I've read about it, that's for sure.

The plot was solid and the mystery was great and had me thinking and on the edge of my seat the whole way through right up to the climax. That was kind of where I ran into a problem, though. I loved the climax itself, but I wasn't so fond of the conclusion to the climax. However, I think I would be in the minority opinion here and the vast majority of readers will love it.

I also enjoyed the last chapter and the way things were tied up well and we got to find out what happened with a lot of the characters. I was kind of annoyed with Todd and Kelly Barker, but really I wasn't at all surprised either.

I will caution that there is some homophobic language and some homophobic attitudes during the flashback portion of the book, but it doesn't last long and there's no indication to me that Lucas shared those opinions or the attitude. Just...be aware of it so that you aren't blindsided and I think you'll be fine.

One other thing that I really enjoyed about this book involving the characters was that nobody was a perfect person and I liked that bit of realism. Each character was complex and interesting in their own right, and the reader was challenged to think about the things they said and did and the positions they took, even the characters that you end up liking. And that's pretty awesome, as far as I'm concerned.

All in all, definitely happy and so very pleased with this book and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys detective novels and/or mysteries. It's not a short book, but it's still a fast, easy read and difficult to put down with interesting characters and a strong plot. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 24, 2017 |
Synopsis: Lucas Davenport hears that the bodies of two girls have been found in an old building. As it turns out, he worked on their murder when he was a young detective. At that time he really didn't believe that the murderer was captured, but he wasn't senior enough to change the course of the investigation. Now, as a senior member of the BCA, he can follow this cold case, and link it to more current murders.
Review: Interesting story that makes the reader wonder about lots of loose ends that might lead in other directions. ( )
  DrLed | Sep 7, 2016 |
Another fine effort by John Sandford, one of my favorite writers in the genre. Great story and, unlike a few of the negative reviewers I've read, I actually liked the flashback to the earlier crime investigation. I thought the dialogue was great and believable as always, and Lucas Davenport remains one of the best characters in this type of fiction.

If you've liked other 'Prey' novels, you should enjoy this one as well. I did have a little problem with how the ending took place, but I'd rather not spoil it for others. All-in-all, another great job by one of the most consistent authors out there, John Sandford. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Over the years, Lucas has risen from patrol to detective, now a top investigator in the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. And like every seasoned detective, one case has burdened Davenport's conscience, the abduction and assumed murder of two young girls that occurs just as Lucas is breaking out of patrol work, angling for detective. Davenport accepts his superior's resolution to the case in spite of serious reservations. Now, twenty-five years later, the bodies of the Jones sisters are discovered at a construction site and Lucas is reexamining the case that has haunted his career. How many other victims have died through his willingness to acquiesce to authority?

Of all his characters, Lucas Davenport is the most iconic, Sandford developing his protagonist over time, his personal and professional life grist for the series. This novel is a skilled blend of personalities and circumstances, pitting the mind of a serial killer against the determination of a dedicated career detective. Once the chase is on and Davenport scents the killer, it's only a matter of time. As fans of this series know, getting there is the best part, from the outrageous crime to the final confrontation, a cold-blooded killer matching wits with a BCA agent who needs to close a painful period in his history and grieve a heartbreaking loss. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Honest detective story good characters, good plot, good style. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Most interesting for its long look at the young Lucas, who’s considerably more humorous, profane and loosely wrapped than the peerless agent of Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension he becomes.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2011)

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michele
The first machines on the site were the wreckers, like steel dinosaurs, plucking and pulling at the houses with jaws that ripped off chimneys, shingles, dormers, and eaves, clapboard and brick and stone and masonry, beams and stairs and balconies and joists, headers and doorjambs.

For twenty-five years the unsolved kidnapping of two young girls has haunted Lucas Davenport. Today, two bodies have been found. Today, he returns to a crime - and a nightmare - darker than any before.

Back in 1985, two girls disappeared, and fledgling cop Lucas Davenport couldn't get over it, even when his boss declared the case closed. Now a house has been torn down, the bodies of two girls wrapped in plastic have been found, and Davenport is back on the case.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,283,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible