Tiny Little Fly by Michael Rosen

Tiny Little Fly

by Michael Rosen

What I love: the great oversized pictures, the opaque colors on the page, the expressions on the animals' faces, the slightly retro-printed-poster feel to the illustrations; that the rhyme scans well, and the repetitive story is perfect for young storytimes...love, love this book! ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
has two repetitive phrases, which i like for storytime "my oh my, tiny little fly" and "i'm going to catch that fly" ( )
  shazam79 | May 16, 2013 |
Great rhyming text and superb illustrations! ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
A rollicking rhythm and exuberant, large-scale illustrations make this a delightful addition to any storytime.

I read it quite a while ago and immediately added it to my order list. Then it got bumped off, then it got added on again...and so it goes. I finally ended up purchasing a copy last month and I've been trading it back and forth with Miss Pattie for use in toddler and preschool storytimes every since.

A tiny little fly, a plump black ink smear with big eyes, is zipping along, "My, oh my,/Tiny Little Fly!" he sees an elephant, takes a seat on the elephants trunk and "Great Big Elephant/winks one eye,/says to himself,/'I'm going to catch that fly!" but after some noisy tramping and crushing, away zips the fly.

Hippo and Tiger try as well, but just end up in a muddy mess on a huge fold-out spread and Tiny Little Fly swoops off on his way.

The ringing cadences of the rhymes and repetitive refrains make this a great story to read over and over again until your listeners can chant along with you. Michael Rosen (when he's not writing extremely depressing books for children about death) knows just how to catch a child's ear with his brisk text.

Waldron's art is bold and exuberant, with smashing elephant legs, rolling hippos, and swatting tigers. This book is appeals to sight and touch, with thick pages that look like brown recycled paper, swashes of browns and dabs of color, and background patterns faint enough to interest readers in looking color. Throughout it all, Tiny Little Fly athletically zips, avoiding every danger and coming out on top, despite her tiny size compared to the massive jungle creatures.

Verdict: I don't know how we survived without this book so long. How are you surviving without it? Go forth and purchase.

ISBN: 9780763646813; Published November 2010 by Candlewick Press; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | May 6, 2012 |
Fly is landing on Elephant, Tiger and Hippo. They wink their eyes and try to swat at him but he keeps getting away.

I thought the book would be enjoyable for young children 2-5. It would be fun for children going to the zoo to learn a few more famous animals to see. The language is very repetitive and would probably not hold the interest of older children. ( )
  missbrandysue | Feb 4, 2012 |

My, oh my! An elusive fly stirs up some mighty beasts in this witty tale for the very young, from a British Children’s Laureate and a talented new Irish illustrator.

When Tiny Little Fly sees great big toes (and lands on a great big nose), the poor elephant tries—tramp, crush, tramp—but can’t catch it. Off flies the fly! The teasing insect easily misses the rhino’s roll, squash, roll and the tiger’s swat, swoop, snatch too. Michael Rosen’s simple language is a joy to read aloud, while Kevin Waldron’s whimsical images match his playful rhythm beat for beat, offering a fly’s-eye view of each favorite animal before revealing the energized creature in full. How will this gently suspenseful adventure end? Fly, fly, fly!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:45 -0400)

With a tramp and a roll and a swat, Great Big Elephant, Great Big Hippo, and Great Big Tiger try to capture Tiny Little Fly as he teases each one in turn.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible