The Truth by Terry Pratchett

The Truth (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Truth
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Doubleday (2000), Hardcover

The Truth by Terry Pratchett (2000)

English (59)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
The Truth - Pratchett
Audio performance by Steven Briggs
4 stars

“Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn’t matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Another visit to Discworld. Movable type, the printing press, and journalism come to Ankh- Morpork. William de Worde prints the first daily newspaper in the city and finds his life’s calling. This was Terry Pratchett at his best. I enjoyed many of my favorite characters; Gaspode, the talking dog; Otto Chriek, the vampire iconographer; Foul Ole Ron and The Crew. There’s plenty of fun and games with a hefty dose of satire to push a philosophical look at truth and the ethics of free speech.

“Character assassination. What a wonderful idea. Ordinary assassination only works once, but this one works every day.”

The dissatisfied old boys of the aristocracy have decided that the city needs a change in it’s leadership. They don’t reckon with the power of investigative journalism (and a canine witness), as they stage their plans to remove Lord Vetinari from office. William is determined to get at the truth, but “He was appalled at the ease with which the truth so easily turned into something that was almost a lie, just by being positioned correctly.” It’s a learning experience.

But in the end, all’s well on the turtle’s back.

“I’m sure we can pull together, sir.”
Lord Vetinari raised his eyebrows. “Oh, I do hope not, I really do hope not. Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions.” He smiled. “It’s the only way to make progress. That, and, of course, moving with the times. Good day to you.”
1 vote msjudy | Jun 23, 2018 |
You want The Truth? Can you handle de Worde?

Great fun with a whole new host of concepts. ( )
  expatscot | Apr 3, 2018 |
I was delighted to find that this was read by Stephen Briggs, my favorite. A wonderful book with lots to think about and a ton of laughs. I love Terry Pratchett's use of language. He is truly a genius. I will miss him. I'm glad he was so prolific in his too short lifetime. ( )
  njcur | Jul 15, 2017 |
"The truth shall make ye fre(e/t/d)..."

Ah, Discworld! Ah, Ankh Morpork!

Must read more of Sir Pratchett's Discworld. Haven't even managed to cover half of them... So many books, so little time. My first Discworld read was actually 'Maskerade' (I will forever remember with fondness the expletive "poot"). And each Discworld novel since has been a joy to read.

And so... well, I don't how to write a review for Discworld novels actually. They are a genre all their own. Loads of fun to read if you're of the inclination. And honestly the people who are of the inclination know that Discworld books are something very special indeed...! Great characters, great stories & clever, clever writing... (: ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
The Truth is the second book in the Industrial Revolution subseries of Discworld. The first book had been Moving Pictures and was one of my least favorite, so I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

In this book, newspapers are introduced to Ankh-Morpork. Meanwhile, there’s a plot against Lord Vetinari (yes, another one!) to frame him for a crime. The story was funny and interesting, with some deeper commentary sandwiched within the silliness. I really liked the main character, William de Worde. Since the story is set in Ankh-Morpork, we also see some other familiar characters from the various subseries. Most of the page time goes to William, though, or to the people involved in carrying out the Vetinari plot. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Feb 27, 2017 |
Much as I enjoyed The Truth, honesty nonetheless compels me to admit that the novel didn't seem quite as zippy or fresh as most of the Discworld books (though still offering more entertainment per page than anything this side of Wodehouse). But Pratchett doesn't just spew out jokes and puns (photographs as "prints of darkness"): He implicitly defends a liberal humanism, one that loathes bigotry, jingoism, easy answers and any kind of zealotry.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Michael Dirda (pay site) (Nov 19, 2000)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Author's Note

Sometimes a fantasy author has to point out the strangeness of reality. The way Ankh-Morpork dealt with its flood problems (see p.232 and onwards) is curiously similar to that adopted by the city of Seattle, Washington, towards the end of the nineteenth century. Really. Go and see. Try the clam chowder while you're there.
The rumor spread through the city like wildfire (which had quite often spread through Ankh-Morpork since its citizens had learned the words "fire insurance").

William de Worde is the accidental editor of the Discworld’s first newspaper. Now he must cope with the traditional perils of a journalist’s life — people who want him dead, a recovering vampire with a suicidal fascination for flash photography, some more people who want him dead in a different way and, worst of all, the man who keeps begging him to publish pictures of his humorously shaped potatoes.

William just wants to get at THE TRUTH. Unfortunately, everyone else wants to get at William. And it’s only the third edition…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380818191, Mass Market Paperback)

The Truth, Pratchett's 25th Discworld novel, skewers the newspaper business. When printing comes to Ankh-Morpork, it "drag(s) the city kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat." Well, actually, out of the Century of the Fruitbat. As the Bursar remarks, if the era's almost over, it's high time they embraced its challenges.

William de Worde, well-meaning younger son of reactionary nobility, has been providing a monthly newsletter to the elite using engraving. Then he is struck (and seriously bruised) by the power of the press. The dwarves responsible convince William to expand his letter and the Ankh-Morpork Times is born. Soon William has a staff, including Sacharissa Cripslock, a genteel young lady with a knack for headline writing, and photographer Otto Chriek. Otto's vampirism causes difficulties: flash pictures cause him to crumble to dust and need reconstitution, and he must battle his desire for blood, particularly Sacharissa's. When Lord Vetinari is accused of attempted murder, the City Watch investigates the peculiar circumstances, but William wants to know what really happened. The odds for his survival drop as his questions multiply.

The Truth is satirical, British, and full of sly jokes. Although this cake doesn't rise quite as high as it did in previous volumes, even ordinary Pratchett is pretty darn good, and those who haven't read a Discworld novel before can start here and go on to that incredible backlist. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:58 -0400)

William de Worde, a struggling scribe in the city of Ankh-Morpork, comes up with the idea of publishing an upper-crust newsletter with a newfangled printing press, but his success attracts the attention nefarious factions who take steps to put him out of business.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,245,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible