The Truth by Terry Pratchett

The Truth (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett, Josh Kirby (Cover artist)

Member:Kampuskop
Title:The Truth
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Josh Kirby (Cover artist)
Info:Corgi Books (2001), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback, 443 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Ankh-Morpork, British humour, Discworld, fantasy fiction, humor, journalism, newspapers, parody/satire

The Truth by Terry Pratchett (2000)

English (45)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
Entertaining and amusing, as expected, with multiple laugh-out-loud moments. I enjoyed the variety of characters. It would have been nice to have a few more women make appearances, though to be fair I think many of the important characters were already established Discworld personalities. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Apr 4, 2014 |
Really struggled with this one, which is a shame as I have so far enjoyed Terry Pratchett.. ( )
  hscherry | Feb 7, 2014 |
The Discworld discovers movable type and develops a newspaper industry in very short order. This is complete with someone who starts writing for a select group nd ends writing in the public interest, a vampire photographer and a man who grows rather curious vegetables. Alongside this is the "other" side of the press, the gutter press, which is every bit as flamboyant as you might expect.

And while this is evolving by the day, there is a plot to unseat the patrician, and replace him with a stooge. As is usual, this fails, but does so in a convelouted way that keeps the watch and the press guessing until the very end. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |
Pratchett's enduring style is his sense of fun, relying on wordplay, popular culture, myth and folklore, all of which skewered on the end of sharp metaphors. His descriptive writing, skilfully and humorously giving life to stories that have a firm basis in reality uses inventive and witty similes, produces a flawless and effortless humour.

The Truth is probably the 9th book I've read of the Discworld series, of a possible 39 (at time of writing) I really do have a long way to go. I was introduced to the author by a then mistress, who thought our involvement was becoming pointless (married women, I've noticed often think like this, after the initial sparkle of a relationship has tarnished) and gave me The Colour of Magic with the inscription “Serious it isn't” being a reflection on how she thought our relationship was developing. Happily, my relationship with her introduction, lasted longer than my relationship with her.

Actually, of all except The Colour of Magic, The Truth probably IS one of my favourite Pratchette stories and this, coincidentally given by my current amante who has an even greater collection of Terry Pratchett than the former. (I have been very blessed with the literacy inclinations of my paramours)

Despite having only read a few, I am knowledgeable in the mores of Discworld and know full well, amongst other things, that camels are ruminating over algebraical formulae, that Death SPEAKS INSIDE YOUR HEAD and that even rats have their own Grim Reaper, I found the torturous birth of the of the press and the concept of the birth of a newspaper so typically Pratchett I was laughing aloud on almost every other page.

The story builds up slowly but true to most of Pratchett's work, the conflicts of the book reach a certain boiling point and then the story gets really good. The conclusion of the book was appropriate and I got just about everything I wanted, although justice wasn't served, Lord de Worde was allowed escape.

The plot also satirized elements of the Watergate scandal. The dog "Deep Bone" played the role of "Deep Throat" the dog even meets William in a parking garage, except it was for horses in this story. "The Committee to Un-elect the Patrician" was also amusing, as it was a play on Nixon's "The Committee to Re-elect the President" during that same scandal

The villains of the piece Mr Pin and Mr Tulip, were suitably villainous and received their just desserts, despite the potato thing (that whole potato thing was classic) The on going ...ing joke, did pall after a while with it's constant repetition. And the antiques appreciation by Mr Tulip was really funny. One of my favourite Mr Tulip moments was when two bodyguards come in to defend the Mr. Slant, a cunning lawyer zombie, at which point, we are treated with a single, introductory line, in its own paragraph:

"It was horrible what Mr Tulip did to those men."

Some of the quotable's from the story are equally memorable, “A lie will be halfway round the world before truth has it's boots on” used often and by many characters in the story, is a slightly paraphrased Churchillism, which itself was first used by C. H. Spurgeon (1834 - 1892

"There are heroes, and there are those who take notes...and sometimes, they're the same person." Sacharissa Cripslock. Sacharissa was the love interest for William who, shy in the extreme barely manages to stop digging holes for himself when in her company. She was very sweet in a Lois Lane sort of way, but for reasons I can't think, I'm imagining her flat chested – or at least very small.

One of my favourite quotes and I've used paraphrases of it myself since, "There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: “..this glass is half full.” And then there are those who say: “..this glass is half empty.” The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: “What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!” '

"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand."

"He's going to go totally Librarian-poo" Gaspode about Vimes, had me in fits, but to get the joke you need to know that the Librarian is an Orang-outang.
A very enjoyable read, that endears she who lent it me even more so than she was before. ( )
2 vote Kampuskop | Dec 22, 2012 |
So again, very readable, very pageturning, good things to say about isn't multiculturalism good, arn't rich traditionalists bad. But still, I think revisiting these 'forgettable Pratchetts' I think there is just a big run of more-of-the-same.

Also, I found the Evil Bad Guys a bit tedious in this one, which given they make up half the book doesn't endere it to me.

After all the recent media enquiries and scandles, I think it is interesting how much the plot of this book is 'a free press is a great thing, and it will work to Uncover Truth and Save the Day', and yet there is already that silver line of cynicism, that 'just as much of the Truth as we can before it actually starts to hurt our family'

However, one of the things I loved was the opportunity to see the Watch from the outside. When it is the Hero, rather than the Bad Guys, wanting to avoid Vimes is a very different slant... ( )
  atreic | Jun 7, 2012 |
Much as I enjoyed The Truth, honesty nonetheless compels me to admit that the novel didn't seem quite as zippy or fresh as most of the Discworld books (though still offering more entertainment per page than anything this side of Wodehouse). But Pratchett doesn't just spew out jokes and puns (photographs as "prints of darkness"): He implicitly defends a liberal humanism, one that loathes bigotry, jingoism, easy answers and any kind of zealotry.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Michael Dirda (pay site) (Nov 19, 2000)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manchmal muss ein Autor betonen, wie seltsam die Realität sein kann. Die Methode, mit der Ankh-Morpork seine Überflutungsprobleme bewältigte (siehe ab Seite 297), hat auch die Stadt Seattle im US-Staat Washington angewandt. Im Ernst. Sehen Sie es sich selbst an. Und probieren Sie die Muschelsuppe, während Sie dort sind.
The rumor spread through the city like wildfire (which had quite often spread through Ankh-Morpork since its citizens had learned the words "fire insurance").

William de Worde is the accidental editor of the Discworld’s first newspaper. Now he must cope with the traditional perils of a journalist’s life — people who want him dead, a recovering vampire with a suicidal fascination for flash photography, some more people who want him dead in a different way and, worst of all, the man who keeps begging him to publish pictures of his humorously shaped potatoes.

William just wants to get at THE TRUTH. Unfortunately, everyone else wants to get at William. And it’s only the third edition…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380818191, Mass Market Paperback)

The Truth, Pratchett's 25th Discworld novel, skewers the newspaper business. When printing comes to Ankh-Morpork, it "drag(s) the city kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat." Well, actually, out of the Century of the Fruitbat. As the Bursar remarks, if the era's almost over, it's high time they embraced its challenges.

William de Worde, well-meaning younger son of reactionary nobility, has been providing a monthly newsletter to the elite using engraving. Then he is struck (and seriously bruised) by the power of the press. The dwarves responsible convince William to expand his letter and the Ankh-Morpork Times is born. Soon William has a staff, including Sacharissa Cripslock, a genteel young lady with a knack for headline writing, and photographer Otto Chriek. Otto's vampirism causes difficulties: flash pictures cause him to crumble to dust and need reconstitution, and he must battle his desire for blood, particularly Sacharissa's. When Lord Vetinari is accused of attempted murder, the City Watch investigates the peculiar circumstances, but William wants to know what really happened. The odds for his survival drop as his questions multiply.

The Truth is satirical, British, and full of sly jokes. Although this cake doesn't rise quite as high as it did in previous volumes, even ordinary Pratchett is pretty darn good, and those who haven't read a Discworld novel before can start here and go on to that incredible backlist. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:18 -0400)

William de Worde, a struggling scribe in the city of Ankh-Morpork, comes up with the idea of publishing an upper-crust newsletter with a newfangled printing press, but his success attracts the attention nefarious factions who take steps to put him out of business.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,305,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible