Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Witches Abroad (original 1991; edition 2002)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:sparklerparrot
Title:Witches Abroad
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (1991)

English (70)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (78)

'This is a story about stories. Or what it really means to be a fairy godmother. But it’s also, particularly, about reflections and mirrors.' When Desirata Hollow dies, she leaves her wand to Magrat Garlick. With it, Magrat inherits an obligation to help Princess Emberella not to marry a prince. What Magrat doesn't know is that the princess has two godmothers, one good and one bad. Another important thing in Desirata's will is whatever happens, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg must not help her. We all know what 'mustn't' does when it comes to those two.
The three witches and one cat set out to help the poor princess. Their destination is Genua.

The first part of the book describes their journey. Along the way they notice a lot of weird things - creatures from different fairy tales roaming the country. Granny wouldn't be Granny if she didn't fix everything. Only Terry Pratchett could find a way to convince you to be on the opposite side to the one wanting a happy ending. Some of the scenes in this book broke my heart, but most are hilarious. Here you'll find different take on a lot of familiar stories. There is even voodoo. With Granny Weatherwax around every story gets a special treatment and her own brand of ending.

I loved everything from the fairy tales (each with a new spin) and their constant bickering to the choice of the villain. Even Greebo the cat is awesome. But what I loved the most is Granny, her reactions to the things they encountered. My favourite, the saddest is the moment when Granny meets the wolf.

If you can't stand a lot of bickering, three different witches being their own weird, funny and occasionally obnoxious selves, completely messed up fairy tales, then I suggest you skip this one.

The Death makes an appearance too. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
This is the third book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. The last time I enjoyed a Discworld book this much was when I read the second Witches book, Wyrd Sisters. I’m not sure if I’m far enough into Discworld to proclaim my favorite subseries yet, but Witches is the top contender.

As with the previous Witches book, this story focuses primarily on the characters of Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat. Through a series of events, the three are led to journey to a distant country to deal with an evil fairy godmother who, among other things, is trying to make a girl marry a prince of questionable origin. There are a lot of references to familiar fairy tales, but they’re usually twisted around in an amusing way. I thought the overall plot in this book was far more coherent than that of most of the other Discworld books.

Although Magrat can be annoying sometimes, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are just hilarious and some of their reactions as they traveled through “foreign parts” made me laugh. One minor complaint I have is that, in Wyrd Sisters, the same characters referred to other places as “forn parts”. They seem to have inexplicably learned how to pronounce “foreign” since then, and for some reason I missed the “forn parts”.

Happily, there’s another Witches book only two books away on my Discworld list, so I’ll get the chance to revisit this subseries in the near future. ( )
  YouKneeK | Aug 4, 2016 |
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books. I
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
An old witch dies and passes her wand to Magrat, and some instructions that mean the three Discworld witches must travel abroad. An amusing story of foreign travel and fairy tales, with a lot of laugh-aloud humour, as well as some deeper forays into the myths behind children's stories. Very enjoyable. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Perhaps because the novel's picaresque structure seems commodious rather than contrived, one reads with less of an obtrusive sense of stage machinery being wheeled into place. Still, Pratchett's taste for complicated climactic scenes remains, so that his novels, rather than coming to a point as much comedy does, tend to blow apart like a firecracker.

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pratchett, LynAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all those people - and why not? - who, after the publication of Wyrd Sisters, deluged the author with their version of the words of 'The Hedgehog Song'.
Deary deary me...
This is Discworld, which travels through space on the back of four elephants which themselves stand on the shell of Great A'Tuin, the sky turtle.
Nanny Ogg quite liked cooking, provided there were other people around to do things like chop up the vegetables and wash the dishes afterwards.
Genua had once controlled the river mouth and taxed its traffic in a way that couldn't be called piracy because it was done by the city government.

It seemed an easy job…After all, how difficult could it be to make sure that a servant girl doesn't marry a prince?

But for the witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, travelling to the distant city of Genua, things are never that simple...

Servant girls have to marry the prince. That's what life is all about. You can't fight a Happy Ending.

At least - up until now…

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020613, Mass Market Paperback)

Be careful what you wish for...

Once upon a time there was a fairy godmother named Desiderata who had a good heart, a wise head, and poor planning skills—which unforunately left the Princess Emberella in the care of her other (not quite so good and wise) godmother when DEATH came for Desiderata. So now it's up to Magrat Garlick, Granny Weatherwax, and Nanny Ogg to hop on broomsticks and make for far-distant Genua to ensure the servant girl doesn't marry the Prince.

But the road to Genua is bumpy, and along the way the trio of witches encounters the occasional vampire, werewolf, and falling house (well this is a fairy tale, after all). The trouble really begins once these reluctant foster-godmothers arrive in Genua and must outwit their power-hungry counterpart who'll stop at nothing to achieve a proper "happy ending"—even if it means destroying a kingdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:45 -0400)

Three witches must prevent a servant girl from marrying a prince; but they're up against the malignant power of the Godmother herself, who has struck a deal with Destiny that will ensure a happy ending.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,401,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible