Mort (Discworld Book 4) by Terry Pratchett

Mort (Discworld Book 4) (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim.
Member:muralijayapala
Title:Mort (Discworld Book 4)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:HarperCollins e-books (2009), Edition: Reissue, 304 pages
Tags:fiction, eb

Mort by Terry Pratchett (1987)

Recently added bySammystarbuck, rena75, lafstern, beealiz, trolfs, tlwright, Kausik_Lakkaraju, PWhited, private library
    Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While Howard's Cabal is a Necromancer (one who can raise the dead - in a fashion) And Pratchett's DEATH is the embodiment of death (which comes to us all)... The commonality is really that wonderful quirky British humor. Pratchett is an old favorite of mine and I have read every one of his books. Howard is my new favorite and I plan to read every one of his books. If you like one, odds are you'll totally enjoy the other...… (more)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (alexa_d)
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.

English (178)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (187)
I thought this was a pretty amusing book, it was quite fast paced although I think certain aspects of it could have used a bit more set up, but then maybe that would have detracted from it overall. Some poignant moments, one or two emotional ones. Solid book. ( )
  EdwardL95 | Jan 7, 2020 |
This was another fun addition to the Discworld series but I can only read so many of these in a row before yearning for novels of a little more substance. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
Personally, I think DEATH does better as a minor character rather than a starring one. ( )
  treehorse | Nov 7, 2019 |
A young man called Mort is offered an unexpected apprenticeship -- with Death.

Reading this after twenty-four of the later books highlights how both the Discworld and Pratchett’s skills as a storyteller developed over the series. But if I’d started here, I definitely wouldn’t have cared as much about Death or Ankh-Morpork or the wizards -- and I would have been a lot less confident that this would be an entertaining and satisfactory story. So I can’t regret my reading order. Also, Pratchett’s way with words is always fun.

Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man; he had the Vote. ( )
  Herenya | Sep 14, 2019 |
Great book! Im so excited about new tv-show coming out, named GOod Omens. Preparing to watch it re-reading the books:)
added by sharoneckertt | editBisbee (Oct 29, 1975)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.
There should be a word for that brief period just after waking when the mind is full of warm pink nothing.
‘[Death] doesn’t like wizards and witches much,’ Mort volunteered.
‘Nobody likes a smartass,’ she said with some satisfaction. ‘We give him trouble, you see. Priests don’t, so he likes priests.’
‘He’s never said,’ said Mort.
‘Ah. They’re always telling folk how much better it’s going to be when they’re dead. We tell them it could be pretty good right here if only they’d put their minds to it.’

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,655,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible