Mort (Discworld Novel) by Terry Pratchett

Mort (Discworld Novel) (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:geoffgibbs
Title:Mort (Discworld Novel)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Books (1988), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 315 pages
Tags:fantasy, discworld, humour

Mort by Terry Pratchett (1987)

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (Pigletto)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)
    Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While Howard's Cabal is a Necromancer (one who can raise the dead - in a fashion) And Pratchett's DEATH is the embodiment of death (which comes to us all)... The commonality is really that wonderful quirky British humor. Pratchett is an old favorite of mine and I have read every one of his books. Howard is my new favorite and I plan to read every one of his books. If you like one, odds are you'll totally enjoy the other...… (more)
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.

English (158)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All (167)
Favorite things:

-Finally meeting Susan's parents (this is what happens when you don't read the books in order).
-Death
-Rincewind cameo
-Mort's insistent declaration of his name.
-Giving a marble sized reality as a dowry present in case the reality we live in ceases to exist. A back up reality. This is why I love Death.
-Death loving cats. He and I are truly kindred spirits.

I will say this ad nauseam, best series and author, hands down. ( )
  Pashii | Aug 28, 2017 |
I had always wondered about Susan and how she was 'related' to Death. Not only that but Albert. This, much like all the other Discworld books, was a fun read and gave that backstory. I think this one was perhaps not as quotable or maybe just didn't resonate as much with me as much as maybe Hogswatch but I still really enjoyed it. ( )
  Adilinaria | Aug 11, 2017 |
In a series where it seems curmudgeonly to give anything less than a 5, this still stands out as one of the best. ( )
  expatscot | Aug 8, 2017 |
Death takes on an apprentice and things don't go exactly as scheduled.
Again, I chuckled in the right places and acknowledge Pratchett's cleverness, but I'm still waiting for these Discworld books to wow me as they seem to wow so many others. I do like Death, and Mort's pretty okay, but the ending to this one irritated me for reasons. *shrug* ( )
  electrascaife | May 14, 2017 |
Mort was the fourth Discworld book written, the second published in 1987, and the first to have Death as a main character. The long and short of this one is that gawky, brainy but spacey teen Mortimer (Mort) isn't wanted around his family vineyard because of his tendency to ruin things so his dad and uncle decide he should find an apprenticeship. That job ends up being with the one and only Death. Why Death has decided to take an apprentice when he has the job for, well, life is unknown but the fact that he has a marriageable, adopted human daughter might be part of it.

This is actually one of the stranger Discworld books that I've read. Death takes an apprentice, the apprentice makes a major mistake, Death doesn't seem to notice and instead begins trying to more fully understand human emotion and purpose. He also goes fishing. In the meantime, as apprentice Mort tries to repair his mistake, he begins losing his humanity. And the ending is so fast and unexplained that it even perplexes the characters. I like some of the ideas explored in this book and the characters themselves but, overall, it's a tough one to love, even on this second reading.

http://webereading.com/2017/03/marchmagics-mort.html ( )

Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020680, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory.As Death's apprentice, he'll have free board and lodging, use of the company horse, and he won't need time off for family funerals. The position is everything Mort thought he'd ever wanted, until he discovers that this perfect job can be a killer on his love life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim. Reprint.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,938,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible