Mort by Terry Pratchett

Mort (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:DieterBoehm
Title:Mort
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Transworld Digital (2009), Kindle Edition, 324 pages
Collections:Your library, Gelesen und in Besitz
Rating:*****
Tags:Roman, Fantasy, England, Discworld

Mort by Terry Pratchett (1987)

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (Pigletto)
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.
    Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)

English (120)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (129)
At the apprenticing fair, Mort waits and waits until finally he’s the last boy left in the town square. Then the clock strikes midnight and Death himself comes to offer Mort a job.

Mort is the fourth Discworld book and a fairly reasonable one to start with. While it may not be quite as polished as some latter books, it is better plotted than the previous three and begins the “arc” (sort of a series within a series) of the books about Death, the grim reaper who rides a white horse and carries a scythe.

In Mort, you can see the Discworld begin to fall into the shape of the latter books. There are still some inconsistencies – fans have long argued on whether the Patrician of the first four books is Vetinari or not – but in general, Mort is much more consistent with the latter books. The biggest difference is probably the character of Death himself. However, the events of Mort and the next Death book, Reaper Man, go a long way as to showing how and why Death’s character changed.

Death is a wonderful character. He has this fascination with human kind but is unable to completely understand us.

“It struck Mort with sudden, terrible poignancy that Death must be the loneliest creature in the universe. In the great party of Creation, he was always in the kitchen.”

Mort is eager and more keen on following his heart than the rules. I liked him well enough, but I didn’t find him particularly noteworthy. He’s still more memorable than the secondary characters (besides Death). Ysabell and Albert stand out because they are important to latter books, but Princess Keli and the wizard are completely forgettable.

The plot was quick moving and stayed together well. It’s differently an improvement over the last three. The humor was, as always, remarkably witty. It’s one of those books where you just want to read large swaths of it aloud to share it with anyone in the vicinity.

Mort, however, does have a failing common to the first ten Discworld books. While it may be very funny and entertaining to read, it doesn’t go beyond that the way the more recent novels such as the Watch arc, Small Gods, or Monstrous Regiment have done. So while I do recommend Mort, I would suggest trying one of the previously mentioned books first, so you come in knowing the best Discworld has to offer.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 22, 2015 |
I have to profess myself somewhat bemused. The announcement last week of the death of Sir Terry Pratchett led to debate among a few of my colleagues about his Discworld novels. There was a rather stunned silence when I remarked that I had never read anything by him. One in particular seemed surprised, almost to the extent of being personally affronted, and kindly lent me a couple which he identified as good starting points for a belated neophyte.

I found myself significantly underwhelmed. I might well have enjoyed this book if I had first come to it when I was about eight years old, though I imagine that by the time I had turned nine I would have been rolling my eyes and feeling that I had long left such things behind me. I know Sir Terry brought a lot of entertainment to a lot of people, who will sorely miss him, but I fail completely to see the attraction.

The most interesting aspect of this misplaced venture was the fact that my colleague was somehow able to email me the Kindle file for this book, and that I was able to read it on my phone. I feel a bit like a teenager at the turn of the century suddenly stumbling across Napster and racing to fill my iPod. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Mar 16, 2015 |
A very fun look at the life and passions of Death. We are introduced to his new apprentice, Mort, a boy on the cusp of manhood. I had a longer review written, but the site messed up and I lost it. Just read it, it's a lot of fun. ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 20, 2015 |
Any Terry Pratchett book is better than no Terry Pratchett book, but this was not one of my favorites. Mort got less interesting as the book went on, Ysabell didn't live up to half her potential, and it didn't end how I thought it should. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I am really enjoying these Discworld novels. Funny, funny stuff, and I really get a sense of an ever expanding world that is just full of possibilities from the genius of Terry Pratchett. I was laughing out loud at some of Death's interactions with people and his lines. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
The plot leaps along, but the main pleasure is Death itself, as he progresses through a Job Centre interview to a spell as a short-order cook, and further hilarities. Mort should be required reading for all projectors of serious three-volume epic fantasies. Read this, and be subverted.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, John Christie (Feb 5, 1988)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauman, JillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for ever living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020680, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory.As Death's apprentice, he'll have free board and lodging, use of the company horse, and he won't need time off for family funerals. The position is everything Mort thought he'd ever wanted, until he discovers that this perfect job can be a killer on his love life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:00 -0400)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim. Reprint.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,255,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible