Mort by Terry Pratchett

Mort (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:DieterBoehm
Title:Mort
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Transworld Digital (2009), Kindle Edition, 324 pages
Collections:Your library, Gelesen und in Besitz
Rating:*****
Tags:Roman, Fantasy, England, Discworld

Mort by Terry Pratchett (1987)

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (Pigletto)
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.
    Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)

English (115)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (124)
Another funny installment by the great Pterry. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jun 2, 2014 |
Pratchett is good for chuckles and guffaws and fun entertainment. In this installment in the Discworld series, Death takes on an apprentice who, like Paul Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice, manages to bungle things. I enjoyed the twist ending.

Pratchett books, dare I call them novels, are starting to leave me with a bittersweet aftertaste. I begin to love the Discworld but then recall the flatness of feelings - reflected in the flatness of the entire world. Terrible things happen and, well, that's just life. On the one hand, Pratchett's ability to laugh at everything is a beautiful talent. On the other hand, one begins to wonder about this place where tears never fall and high tension always resolves itself in a happy ending. Don't get me wrong, I love these books. I love and envy Pratchett's style and sense of humor.

My piece of advice: don't do what I'm doing and chain read Terry Pratchett. All the bitter bits in your brain will be rattled lose. And you'll be hungry for George R. R. Martin. ( )
  konrad.katie | Apr 24, 2014 |
Mort is the fourth of Terry Pratchett??s DISCWORLD novels. It stands alone, meaning that you donƒ??t need to read the previous novels to enjoy Mort. Itƒ??s better than the previous novels, too, so it might be a good place for new readers to start.

Mortimer is a na??ve but pensive ƒ?? and therefore slightly odd ƒ?? young man who doesnƒ??t fit in with his farming community. It looks like heƒ??s going to be jobless until Death arrives and chooses him as an apprentice. Why does Death need an apprentice? He has become bored with his immortal life and wants to travel to Ankh-Morpork so he can experience some humanity.

After only a little bit of training, Mort is left in charge. His job is to collect the souls of people who are about to depart the mortal world. When Mort becomes infatuated with a princess whoƒ??s about to die, he canƒ??t stop himself from interfering with her... Read More at Fantasy Literature: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/mort/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This is my favourite Discworld novel. It was also the first one I read and the only one I have read more than twice.

I love the whole premise of the story. Death taking on an apprentice is a joyous idea and him going on holiday is even better. I think this highlights the magical world created by Terry Pratchett in Discworld to a t.

I laughed continuously throughout and was thorough engaged by the story. The characters are fantastic, Death being the shining star for me and the story is thoroughly entertaining.

A great read. I loved it! ( )
  twosheds | Feb 26, 2014 |
So, you've always wondered about Death? Always wondered about what makes him think? What makes him tick? Well, here's a book that addresses just that. In fact, Pratchett gives you the extra fun of seeing what an apprentice for Death may attempt to accomplish in learning the job. That's Mort! Not exactly skilled at staying out of trouble, the storyline follows some of the fun caused when Mort doesn't follow the rules for the 'harvesting' of souls. Quite literally one of the best reading rides I've taken in a long time. ( )
  TommyElf | Jan 5, 2014 |
The plot leaps along, but the main pleasure is Death itself, as he progresses through a Job Centre interview to a spell as a short-order cook, and further hilarities. Mort should be required reading for all projectors of serious three-volume epic fantasies. Read this, and be subverted.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, John Christie (Feb 5, 1988)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauman, JillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for ever living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome.
It is a fact that although the Death of the Discworld is, in his own words, an ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION, he long ago gave up using the traditional skeletal horses, because of the bother of having to stop all the time to wire bits back on.
Mort took the plunge. 'Albert, have you been here long?'
Albert looked at him over the top of his spectacles.
'Maybe,' he said. It's hard to keep track of outside time, boy. I've been here since just after the old king died.'
'Which king, Albert?'
'Artorollo, I think he was called. Little fat man. Squeaky voice. I only saw him the once, though.'
'Where was this?'
'In Ankh, of course.'
'What?' said Mort. 'They don't have kings in Ankh-Morpork. Everyone knows that!'
'This was back a bit, I said,' said Albert.
For example the philosopher Catroaster was found floating face downward in the river within hours of uttering the famous line, 'When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry.'
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, organizations, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address Harper Paperbacks, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

First Harper premium printing: February 2013
First Harper mass market printing: March 2008
First HarperTorch mass market printing: February 2001

First printing [of this edition] line: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

If you purchased this book without a cover, you should be aware that this book is stolen property. It was reported as 'unsold and destroyed' to the publisher, and neither the author nor the publisher has received any payment for this 'stripped book.'

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020680, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory.As Death's apprentice, he'll have free board and lodging, use of the company horse, and he won't need time off for family funerals. The position is everything Mort thought he'd ever wanted, until he discovers that this perfect job can be a killer on his love life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:00 -0400)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim. Reprint.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible