Mort by Terry Pratchett

Mort (original 1987; edition 2009)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:DieterBoehm
Title:Mort
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Transworld Digital (2009), Kindle Edition, 324 pages
Collections:Your library, Gelesen und in Besitz
Rating:*****
Tags:Roman, Fantasy, England, Discworld, GH

Mort by Terry Pratchett (1987)

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (Pigletto)
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: Similar theme: Death gets a replacement. Wry, with a healthy helping of social critique.
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Zaklog)
    Zaklog: Although American, not British, Christopher Moore has a very similar sense of humor to Pratchett's. And if you like a story about an unsuspecting, innocent (and often clumsy) man accidentally becoming the Grim Reaper, you'll probably like Moore's book as well. Another wonderful characteristic the two authors share is their ability to combine a bizarre sense of humor with very serious moral subjects. So once you finish the newest Pratchett novel, be sure to check out Christopher Moore.… (more)

English (126)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Czech (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (135)
Young Mortimer, or Mort, is at that hapless stage of all knees and elbows and doesn't have many prospects for getting by in an agrarian town where farmers have plants that start out grown and get planted next year (too close to a ton of magic, y'see). On the day apprentices are chosen at market, poor Mort is left all alone until just before midnight when Death himself shows up and takes him on.

This is the fourth book in the total Discworld series and the first in the subset that deals with Death - not dying so much as the anthropomorphized realization... yeah, anyway. It's Terry Pratchett, so it's got that trademark mix of hilarity and seriousness. This one wasn't my favorites (so far in my Discworld reading I really prefer the Witches series), but it was a short, quick read and a few lines made me laugh. Maybe I went in with too high expectations after reading some of his later works. ( )
  bell7 | May 30, 2015 |
Humorous, sincere and inventive fantasy. "Mort" is my first foray into the Discworld. I found this to stand alone quite nicely even though it is the fourth in the series. Pratchett reveals something about the transition from apprenticeship to mastery and how even very secure jobs (such as the one of a kind "job" of Death) can end up over-defining who we are. ( )
  albertgoldfain | May 30, 2015 |
Mort is a short, silly book, and I can appreciate that these days. Mort is a distracted farm boy who is hired to be death's apprentice. The question is whether he'll take over the Master's business... and marry his daughter. Aside from Mort, there are only a handful of other characters: Death himself, Death's adopted daughter, Death's manservant, a princess who is supposed to be dead, and a third-rate wizard. Of course there are other walk-on characters, but I liked the fact that I didn't have to keep track of too many people -- a large cast is the downfall of many more serious fantasy novels, in my opinion. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Loved the metaphors. My first Terry Pratchett book. Better late than never. Reminiscent of Douglas Adams, Wodehouse and the like. Genuinely delighted and can't wait to start and finish with the rest in this series and more. ( )
1 vote maximnoronha | Apr 18, 2015 |
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books.
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
The plot leaps along, but the main pleasure is Death itself, as he progresses through a Job Centre interview to a spell as a short-order cook, and further hilarities. Mort should be required reading for all projectors of serious three-volume epic fantasies. Read this, and be subverted.
added by Shortride | editThe Guardian, John Christie (Feb 5, 1988)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauman, JillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salmenoja, MargitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Rhianna
This is the bright candlelit room where the lifetimers are stored - shelf upon shelf of them, squat hourglasses, one for every living person, pouring their fine sand from the future into the past.

When Mort’s father tries to get rid of his dim-witted son by offering him up for apprenticeship, nobody seems to want him – except for an elderly skeleton in a black cloak who turns out to be Death himself! After being accepted into Death’s unusual household, and watching a few souls be guided into the next world, Mort takes over the duty for a night or two, to give his master a break. With one ill-placed stroke of the scythe, he will split history in two, create a paradox that only a powerful wizard can rectify, and send Death on a quest to find out precisely what it is about life that humans enjoy – with predictably hilarious results!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020680, Mass Market Paperback)

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory.As Death's apprentice, he'll have free board and lodging, use of the company horse, and he won't need time off for family funerals. The position is everything Mort thought he'd ever wanted, until he discovers that this perfect job can be a killer on his love life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:03 -0400)

Unable to be objective, Mort, Death's bumbling apprentice, kills an assassin instead of Keli, the princess who should have been his victim. Reprint.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,925,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible