Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Small Gods (1992)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (13), Discworld: Gods (2)

Recently added byprivate library, jkrzok, Thedah, richifer, LuukPaulussen, Gwenthing, catlin, adam.b
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the necessity of belief.
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (electronicmemory)
    The Blue Hawk by Peter Dickinson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although The Blue Hawk is aimed specifically at children/young adults and Small Gods is an adult book, I think both books examine and raise interesting questions about faith and religion and readers who enjoyed one may well enjoy the other.
    Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Humorous but also insightful stories about ordinary mortals who find themselves caught up in the - often petty - fights of their gods.
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: A very different style of book from a very different genre, but an interesting commentary on the corruption/misuse of religious faith which complements this book's treatment of the same theme.

English (111)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (120)
The great god Om appears as a small old grumpy tortoise. I found the idea interesting that the people believed in the church, the Quisition, but no longer believe in the god. ( )
  nx74defiant | Feb 11, 2017 |
Expecting an easy read, it took me much longer to finish the book than anticipated. At times, I found it hard to laugh. I was filled with great sadness when reading about the implied atrocities and evil characters in the book. Vorbis crawled under my skin like no character in a book has for a long time. He reminded me of dictators, mass murderers and other sociopaths, as he was supposed to. There is something in him that reminds me of Putin, Assad or Trump. I just did not see the fun in adding him to Discworld. He and his Quisition are just too horrible to imagine.

It's still funny, and you find the usual wisdom, astute observations and puns you'd expect, but it did not make it the enjoyable read I was hoping for from Pratchett. Call it an evolutionary step to more depth, but... Well, just not a Pratchett.

Or maybe it is the REAL Pratchett, the smart guy who sees right through how humanity works. Who can deliver his criticism in a satire. Maybe he finally stopped watering down what he saw. Maybe it is Discworld novel as he intended to write them.
It is a good thing I was treated to this horrible treatise on propaganda and power politics. Maybe it is good thing I was not being able to escape to Discworld as I usually do.

I hope the next book will be lighter. ( )
  diverse_reader | Feb 10, 2017 |
A slow-starter for me, with confusing cast of characters. Once it got going there was much to chew on about belief systems and religion and government. Seems to stand alone in the Discworld series, but I'd recommend others much more. ( )
  sleahey | Jan 6, 2017 |
Funny and wise and thought-provoking all at once, this is a book to read and then ponder for a long time afterwards. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
funny, yet some rather profound[in a light way] things in dealing with belief, etc. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The problem with Small Gods is that its plot is complicated without being especially deft, and many tiny scenes exist solely to move stage scenery. Since a fair number of Pratchett's jokes recur from one book to the next, and many of the jokes in this novel are of the running or repeating variety (virtually every character, seeing Om as a tortoise, remarks, "There's good eating on one of those things"), the reader can end up looking for the good lines, like a partygoer digging through a dish of peanuts for the odd cashew.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Gregory Feeley (pay site) (May 27, 1994)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sohár AnikóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
Now consider the tortoise and the eagle.
And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"
The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).
Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Or, to put it another way, the existence of a badly put-together watch proved the existence of a blind watchmaker.
Because what gods need is belief, and what humans want is gods.

In the beginning was the Word.

And the Word was: "Hey, you!"

For Brutha the novice is the Chosen One. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love.

He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061092177, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld is an extragavanza--among much else, it has billions of gods. "They swarm as thick as herring roe," writes Terry Pratchett in Small Gods, the 13th book in the series. Where there are gods galore, there are priests, high and low, and... there are novices. Brutha is a novice with little chance to become a priest--thinking does not come easily to him, although believing does. But it is to Brutha that the great god Om manifests, in the lowly form of a tortoise. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:42 -0400)

Brutha is a novice who is content with growing melons for the temple monks until the great god, Om, manifests himself in the form of a tortoise and announces that Brutha is to become the chosen one.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,208,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible