Small Gods: (Discworld Novel 13) by Terry…

Small Gods: (Discworld Novel 13) (1992)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Series: Discworld: Gods (2), Discworld (13)

Brutha, a simple man leading a quiet life tending his garden, finds his life irrevocably changed when his god, speaking to him through a tortoise, sends him on a mission of peace.
Member:Eggpants
Title:Small Gods: (Discworld Novel 13)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:
Tags:unpub-or-series, auth-m

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (1992)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the necessity of belief.
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (electronicmemory)
    The Blue Hawk by Peter Dickinson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although The Blue Hawk is aimed specifically at children/young adults and Small Gods is an adult book, I think both books examine and raise interesting questions about faith and religion and readers who enjoyed one may well enjoy the other.
    Minor Mage by T Kingfisher (MyriadBooks)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: A very different style of book from a very different genre, but an interesting commentary on the corruption/misuse of religious faith which complements this book's treatment of the same theme.
    Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Humorous but also insightful stories about ordinary mortals who find themselves caught up in the - often petty - fights of their gods.

English (135)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (145)
My favorite book in this series so far. Lovely lovely lovely. So much laughing out loud, and yet plenty of thinking, too. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
like yeah....yeah ( )
  bloomingtea | Jun 28, 2020 |
I'm upping my ranking from a four to a five just because this tickled me much better the second time around. :)

Re-read from about 15 years ago, and somehow more satisfying now than it was then. Why? Om... I don't know... :) Flying turtles kinda rock my world.

This is a total Moses coming out of the desert kind of tale, only the GREAT GOD OM is a tiny turtle with only one believer and the kid is kinda hopeless, but a god's gotta do what a god's gotta do. Get Believers. On DISCWORLD.

So yeah, it's kindof a mess, traveling from the city of believers who don't believe in anything, to the city of philosophers who believe in ignorance, to the deep desert where there are a bunch of destitute almost-ex-gods who've seen much, much better days.

The humor is the best part. Of course. I mean, it IS Pratchett.

So glad I got to re-read this one in particular. Religion has a really huge target painted on its back. And people. Especially people. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
fun fun fun fun fun Thought he made philosophical points and surprised me at the end...Loved it ( )
  leebill | Apr 30, 2020 |
This is an absolutely incredible book. It's a book I reread often, and it always makes me laugh and think. I highly recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  queenofthebobs | Mar 15, 2020 |
The problem with Small Gods is that its plot is complicated without being especially deft, and many tiny scenes exist solely to move stage scenery. Since a fair number of Pratchett's jokes recur from one book to the next, and many of the jokes in this novel are of the running or repeating variety (virtually every character, seeing Om as a tortoise, remarks, "There's good eating on one of those things"), the reader can end up looking for the good lines, like a partygoer digging through a dish of peanuts for the odd cashew.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Gregory Feeley (pay site) (May 27, 1994)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sohár, AnikóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solé, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
Now consider the tortoise and the eagle.
And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"
The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).
Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Or, to put it another way, the existence of a badly put-together watch proved the existence of a blind watchmaker.
Because what gods need is belief, and what humans want is gods.

In the beginning was the Word.

And the Word was: "Hey, you!"

For Brutha the novice is the Chosen One. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love.

He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,681,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible