Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

Small Gods (original 1992; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett, Nigel Planer (Narrator)

Member:ktoonen
Title:Small Gods
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Other authors:Nigel Planer (Narrator)
Info:Corgi Audio (2005), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD
Tags:Humour (British), Fantasy, Magic, World Building, Religion, Audiobook

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (1992)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the necessity of belief.
    The Blue Hawk by Peter Dickinson (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although The Blue Hawk is aimed specifically at children/young adults and Small Gods is an adult book, I think both books examine and raise interesting questions about faith and religion and readers who enjoyed one may well enjoy the other.
    Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Humorous but also insightful stories about ordinary mortals who find themselves caught up in the - often petty - fights of their gods.
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: A very different style of book from a very different genre, but an interesting commentary on the corruption/misuse of religious faith which complements this book's treatment of the same theme.

English (104)  Spanish (3)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (112)
Gods can only exist when people believe in them, not merely fear their earthly administration - AKA The Church. In order to survive the millennia, a god must improve the lives of his subjects - or perish in the desert. It only takes one man to alter the course of history – towards community or war. The build-up was a bit tedious, but Pratchett’s satire/observations are delightful.

His prose is rather stellar at times:

Humans! They lived in a world where the grass continued to be green and the sun rose every day and flowers regularly turned into fruit, and what impressed them? Weeping statues. And wine made out of water! As if the turning of sunlight into wine, by means of vines and grapes and time and enzymes, wasn't a thousand times more impressive and happened all the time...

But how much worse to have been a god, and to now be no more than a smoky bundle of memories, blown back and forth across the sand made from the crumbled stones of your temples...

Ordinary madness he could deal with. In his experience there were quite a lot of mad people in the world. But Vorbis had passed right through that red barrier and had built some kind of logical structure on the other side. Rational thoughts made out of insane components... ( )
  dandelionroots | Jul 19, 2016 |
Not sure if I just wasn't in the mood for this one or not, but I didn't find it as enjoyable as the last few. I think my hate for people like Vorbis kept getting in the way. Other than that it was still a good book, and it made plenty of great points about people and their religions. Especially poingnant with the current presidential election going on here in the US. Too many people hate by rote and too many more follow out of fear or duty to a mislead cause. ( )
  readafew | Jun 18, 2016 |
Reviews at The Artemis Reader

The first Terry Pratchett book I ever read was Good Omens, a collaboration with Neil Gaiman (one of my all-time favorite authors). After Good Omens I went on a Gaiman binge and read (almost) everything he’s published. But I never picked up a Pratchett book until a good friend threw his copy at me and demanded I read one.

Small Gods tells the story of unremarkable guy named Brutha, who stumbles upon the Great God Om as a tortoise in the Temple melon garden. Needless to say this is a very interesting little story in the Discworld series. I really enjoyed this story once it got moving. The first 150-200 pages were slow, building the plot slowly but very deliberately. The dialogue between Brutha and Om is fantastic.

Pratchett plays on some great themes in Small Gods, and really opens a nice dialogue on theology, philosophy and the misuse of each by mankind. He also asks a pretty big question – what happens to the gods when people stop believing? This story is funny and sharp with its satire, which weaves throughout Pratchett’s impressive storytelling ability. ( )
  artemisreads | Jun 7, 2016 |
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books.
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
While Small Gods is one of my favourite Pratchett books to read, I found the audiobook didn't resonate in the same way. Some books are meant to be read out loud, others work better when the words play off one another in one's head. I found the eccentric Discworld works better for me on the printed page than as spoken word.

Nigel Planer in the unabridged version is more expressive than Tony Robinson in the abridged version, with Planer providing various different voices for the characters.
  rakerman | Apr 10, 2016 |
The problem with Small Gods is that its plot is complicated without being especially deft, and many tiny scenes exist solely to move stage scenery. Since a fair number of Pratchett's jokes recur from one book to the next, and many of the jokes in this novel are of the running or repeating variety (virtually every character, seeing Om as a tortoise, remarks, "There's good eating on one of those things"), the reader can end up looking for the good lines, like a partygoer digging through a dish of peanuts for the odd cashew.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Gregory Feeley (pay site) (May 27, 1994)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sohár AnikóTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
Now consider the tortoise and the eagle.
And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"
The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).
Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Or, to put it another way, the existence of a badly put-together watch proved the existence of a blind watchmaker.
Because what gods need is belief, and what humans want is gods.

In the beginning was the Word.

And the Word was: "Hey, you!"

For Brutha the novice is the Chosen One. He wants peace and justice and brotherly love.

He also wants the Inquisition to stop torturing him now, please...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061092177, Mass Market Paperback)

Discworld is an extragavanza--among much else, it has billions of gods. "They swarm as thick as herring roe," writes Terry Pratchett in Small Gods, the 13th book in the series. Where there are gods galore, there are priests, high and low, and... there are novices. Brutha is a novice with little chance to become a priest--thinking does not come easily to him, although believing does. But it is to Brutha that the great god Om manifests, in the lowly form of a tortoise. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:42 -0400)

Brutha is a novice who is content with growing melons for the temple monks until the great god, Om, manifests himself in the form of a tortoise and announces that Brutha is to become the chosen one.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,517,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible