dismiss

Hogfather (1996)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Susan (2), Discworld: Gods (3), Discworld: Death (4), Discworld (20)

Who would want to harm Discworld's most beloved icon? Very few things are held sacred in this twisted, corrupt, heartless -- and oddly familiar -- universe, but the Hogfather is one of them. Yet here it is, Hogswatchnight, that most joyous and acquisitive of times, and the jolly old, red-suited gift-giver has vanished without a trace. And there's something shady going on involving an uncommonly psychotic member of the Assassins' Guild and certain representatives of Ankh-Morpork's rather extensive criminal element. Suddenly Discworld's entire myth system is unraveling at an alarming rate. Drastic measures must be taken, which is why Death himself is taking up the reins of the fat man's vacated sleigh...which, in turn, has Death's level-headed granddaughter, Susan, racing to unravel the nasty, humbuggian mess before the holiday season goes straight to hell and takes everyone along with it.… (more)
Recently added byTrilogyLib, private library, UtheBodhiTree, imlee, PyroCat, leezeebee, akin558, AldusManutius
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Tea-Time, "Te-ah-tim-eh;" old gods, new jobs...
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Merriwyn)
    Merriwyn: If what you love about Pratchett is the combination of humour and the wealth of cultural and intertextual references then Jasper Fforde should be right up your street. Set in an alternate world, The Eyre Affair is funny and clever, referencing swathes of western literature and literary history, and exploring complex and interesting ideas in the best tradition of humourous fantasy.… (more)
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor. Barking has maybe slightly less social commentary than a Pratchett novel but aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie's and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    Klaus by Grant Morrison (ansate)
    Fisher of Devils by Steve Redwood (mjcj)
    mjcj: If you love Pratchett, you will love this.

English (120)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (125)
Re-read on Xmas!

And it couldn't have better timing. Who else would like to see Death taking on the role of Discworld's Santa?

Or better yet, have Susan get involved. :)

Or have a hit put out on the Hogfather while Death flies with the pigs?

OR HAVE TO DEAL WITH RIDCULLY's BATH? *shudder*

Well, here's to ants in the AI! I've just upped my score on this one to a full five. For some reason, this Pratchett tickled me in all the best places. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Really enjoyable Discworld book! This might be my favorite of the series at this point. It definitely has some great quotable lines. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
The Hogfather has disappeared, so Death takes over the job to ensure that the children don’t stop believing at Hogswatch.

It’s possible that this book is trying to tap into experiences of childhood I didn’t have -- I grew up in a family which didn’t do (for want of a better verb) things like Santa or the tooth fairy -- but I can’t specifically pinpoint any reason why that would impinge on my ability to enjoy this story. I really liked the parts with Susan and Death, and I have a growing fondness for the wizards of Unseen University. I don’t care for the assassins or auditors.

“All right,” said Susan. “I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable.”
REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
“Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—”
YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
“So we can believe the big ones?”
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
  Herenya | Apr 16, 2020 |
Discworld is always a fascinating place to read about. This book was a little hard for me to get into, though, because there were so many loose threads and I couldn't see how they were going to come together. Once they started to come together, though, it was a really fun book to read.
  GretchenLynn | Apr 3, 2020 |
A difficult book to review. This is the first time I have read a Discworld novel, but I know Terry Pratchett's alternative world is hugely popular. ANd I can see that this book is very clever, and funny in places. But it just didn't grab me. In some ways, I expected Pratchett to be similar to Douglas Adams, and I love the latter, so I feel I should love Pratchett too. But there has always been something that held me back. And now, I still can't put my finger on what it is, I just know that, while I wouldn't say I would never read another Pratchett novel, I won't be in a hurry to read another. ( )
  TheEllieMo | Jan 18, 2020 |

Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the guerilla bookshop
manager know to friends as
'ppint' for asking me, many years
ago, the question Susan asks in
this book. I'm surprised more
people haven't asked it . . .

And to too many absent friends.
Everything starts somewhere, though many physicists disagree.
She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could do.
And she'd taken to it well. She'd sworn that if she did indeed ever find herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella.
Time stopped.

But duration continued.
Sometimes, somewhere, somehow, the numbers on the clock did not count.

Between every rational moment were a billion irrational ones.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,881,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible