Hogfather by Terry Pratchett
9,205122537 (4.1)367
Who would want to harm Discworld's most beloved icon? Very few things are held sacred in this twisted, corrupt, heartless -- and oddly familiar -- universe, but the Hogfather is one of them. Yet here it is, Hogswatchnight, that most joyous and acquisitive of times, and the jolly old, red-suited gift-giver has vanished without a trace. And there's something shady going on involving an uncommonly psychotic member of the Assassins' Guild and certain representatives of Ankh-Morpork's rather extensive criminal element. Suddenly Discworld's entire myth system is unraveling at an alarming rate. Drastic measures must be taken, which is why Death himself is taking up the reins of the fat man's vacated sleigh...which, in turn, has Death's level-headed granddaughter, Susan, racing to unravel the nasty, humbuggian mess before the holiday season goes straight to hell and takes everyone along with it.… (more)
Member:benfulton
Title:Hogfather
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:New York: HarperPrism, 1998.

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett (1996)

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Tea-Time, "Te-ah-tim-eh;" old gods, new jobs...
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Merriwyn)
    Merriwyn: If what you love about Pratchett is the combination of humour and the wealth of cultural and intertextual references then Jasper Fforde should be right up your street. Set in an alternate world, The Eyre Affair is funny and clever, referencing swathes of western literature and literary history, and exploring complex and interesting ideas in the best tradition of humourous fantasy.… (more)
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor. Barking has maybe slightly less social commentary than a Pratchett novel but aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie's and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    Klaus by Grant Morrison (ansate)
    Fisher of Devils by Steve Redwood (mjcj)
    mjcj: If you love Pratchett, you will love this.

English (117)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (122)
A difficult book to review. This is the first time I have read a Discworld novel, but I know Terry Pratchett's alternative world is hugely popular. ANd I can see that this book is very clever, and funny in places. But it just didn't grab me. In some ways, I expected Pratchett to be similar to Douglas Adams, and I love the latter, so I feel I should love Pratchett too. But there has always been something that held me back. And now, I still can't put my finger on what it is, I just know that, while I wouldn't say I would never read another Pratchett novel, I won't be in a hurry to read another. ( )
  TheEllieMo | Jan 18, 2020 |
The Auditors, guardians of order and logic in the Discworld cosmos (and really, you've got to have some sympathy for them, with a job like that), and this time the target of their concern is the Hogfather. Children must be stopped from believing in a fat old man who comes down chimneys and delivers toys every Hogswatch!

They need to rid the world of the Hogfather, which will be a neat trick, since the Hogfather isn't a person so much as a consensus figment of the imagination. And yet, he has a personality, and does deliver those toys...

The Auditors go to the Assassins' Guild to take out a contract on the Hogfather, and the head of the Guild realizes he has one Assassin who is crazy enough for the job. If anyone is going to succeed, it will be Mr. Teatime, and if he fails, well, he probably won't survive disappointing the Auditors. Either way, it's a successful outcome.

But, as Death realizes, and eventually gets around to explaining to his granddaughter, Susan, if the Hogfather ceases to exist, the sun won't rise the next morning. There would only be a big ball of burning gasses instead. When Death realized the Hogfather was gone, he saw no option but to take on the job temporarily to maintain belief in the Hogfather, and to tell Susan, very carefully, not to do certain things. He may not have this whole "people" thing down yet, but he does know his granddaughter.

Meanwhile, in other parts of the Discworld, including Unseen University, the disappearance of the Hogfather, and the great quantity of belief freed up thereby, is causing its own interesting problems. New minor gods are arising, to use that excess belief. New minor gods such as the "oh god" of hangovers that Susan encounters while doing the things she was specifically told not to...

This is a lot of fun, as Pratchett reliably is, and there's real thoughtfulness and intelligent commentary, underneath the surface silliness. An excellent read, or listen, for Christmas!

Recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Dec 29, 2019 |
It was a nice read, but I can't say it's the best Pratchett I've ever read. The humor was nice, but all in all there were few parts of the story I actually remember, and all of them are little things, like the Death of Rats being called the "Grim Squeaker", or the references to the Intel-Slogan and Alice in Wonderland.

All in all, I don't feel like having wasted time (Which I never do when reading a Pratchett), but I don't feel like I have read a really memorable book either. It was a nice quick read for the Fantasy Book Club, and I will continue to read every pratchett I can get my hands on, but I will not run to all of my friends and nag them to read it, like I did with "Name of the Wind" either. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
So many little bits of brilliance here. Perhaps the thing I love best about all of Discworld is the way in which each time you read it, you get something different out of it. ( )
  laureenH | Aug 26, 2019 |

Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the guerilla bookshop
manager know to friends as
'ppint' for asking me, many years
ago, the question Susan asks in
this book. I'm surprised more
people haven't asked it . . .

And to too many absent friends.
Everything starts somewhere, though many physicists disagree.
She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could do.
And she'd taken to it well. She'd sworn that if she did indeed ever find herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella.
Time stopped.

But duration continued.
Sometimes, somewhere, somehow, the numbers on the clock did not count.

Between every rational moment were a billion irrational ones.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,773,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible