Hogfather by Terry Pratchett
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Adult (1997), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy, Humour, Discworld

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett (1996)

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Tea-Time, "Te-ah-tim-eh;" old gods, new jobs...
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (Merriwyn)
    Merriwyn: If what you love about Pratchett is the combination of humour and the wealth of cultural and intertextual references then Jasper Fforde should be right up your street. Set in an alternate world, The Eyre Affair is funny and clever, referencing swathes of western literature and literary history, and exploring complex and interesting ideas in the best tradition of humourous fantasy.… (more)
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor. Barking has maybe slightly less social commentary than a Pratchett novel but aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie's and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    Fisher of Devils by Steve Redwood (mjcj)
    mjcj: If you love Pratchett, you will love this.

English (95)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (98)
This is the first Discworld book that I've read and I absolutely love it. I chose this one because I vaguely remember watching the movie with my grandfather some years back. I don't remember much of the movie, but I held onto the premise in my head. So glad I chose this one! I love the depiction of Death as a character and his predicament throughout the book. I also really liked his granddaughter, Susan, and how practical and matter-of-fact she is. I also really enjoyed her struggle to be normal while knowing she isn't.

I loved the depiction of the children throughout the book, the random kids as well as Twyla and Gawain. I also really liked the touch with the fireplace poker to get rid of monsters with! :p

This book was hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable. Once I started reading I really just couldn't put it down. I think this would be a great book for anyone to start the Discworld books with. There are some references to things that seem like they probably happened in other books, but the ones I noticed were few and far between and if there were others I suppose you had to READ those books in order for them to stand out even as out of place or strange.

I liked the mix of seriousness and whimsy. Pratchett's humor in the book is wonderful! It's similar to my own, except that I'm nowhere near as creative and imaginative.

The characters that show up in the book, such as the God of Hangovers and the Death of Rats and Quoth the Raven (who is never actually named in this book, I only recently realized that while reading a different Discworld book), are all wonderful and I found myself looking forward to each update on how and what they were doing.

I thought the plot was great and that everything came together wonderfully. The only thing I raised an eyebrow at was that we seemed to get a "what happened to" for every character at the end except the God of Hangovers. I hope that we get an update on that in another book!

I really enjoyed learning the similarities and differences between the Hogfather, Hogswatch and Christmas and Santa.

The wizards at Unseen University were maybe some of the most hilarious characters of all.

I also liked that even for a lot of the villainous characters I could still view them as more than just bad. It was easy to see them as full people and even feel bad for some of them, if not all of them. Even Teatime, to a point.

The characters were wonderful, the plot was engaging, the ride was exciting, and the end was satisfying while still leaving me wanting more. It's really difficult for me to review this, as can be seen by the disorganized way that I've written this review. But, that's only because there's SO MUCH awesome packed into this book! It's difficult to know what to do with it all!

I would definitely recommend this book to others! It's definitely a great time! ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
As usual fantastic! Great for the holiday season. We enjoyed this one read by Nigel Planer. Stephen Briggs is our favorite reader of Terry Pratchett, but Nigel Planer did a stand up job with this one. Quite a lot of hilarity with death playing Santa Claus! ( )
  njcur | Jan 3, 2017 |
An assassin sets out to get rid of the Hogsfather, per contract by the Auditors of Reality. Who don't want the sun to come up, and hence all humanity will die. Death takes over for the missing Hogsfather and Susan must figure how to save Hogsfather and all of humanity. Perfect light start to the year.

My Favorite Disc World Book Ever! ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It finally happened. I finally made it up to Hogfather in my Discworld reading list. I was a bit early for Christmas, but at least I reached it within the general winter holiday time frame.

Hogfather is the fourth book in the Death subseries. The Hogfather, for those uninitiated in the madness of the Discworld, is the Disc’s version of Santa Claus. He delivers gifts to children on Hogswatch Night. There are problems this year, though. The mysterious beings known as the Auditors have hired the Assassin’s Guild to kill “the fat man” and now the Hogfather is missing. Death decides to fill in for him, and he really warms up to the role.

This book was quite funny; there were a lot of parts that made me laugh. One of the things that was starting to get tiresome to me in the Death subseries was the way Death always seems to be in the middle of some internal crisis, shirking his responsibilities while others take up the slack. This book was a nice change of pace from that. Although Death did occasionally lose sight of his “real” responsibilities, he was taking up the slack for somebody else this time and he took the whole thing very seriously. I thought he was more fun to read about in this book than he had been in the previous Death books.

This story, on the other hand, seemed like one of Pratchett’s more disjointed stories. There were a few different pieces to the story, and they did all tie together, but the ties were pretty tenuous. This was one of those stories where you may be told something happened and why, but it still doesn’t seem terribly sensible or logical. I know, I know, this is the Discworld. Things aren’t supposed to be sensible and logical. But I like sense and logic. :) For the most part, I was able to just enjoy the humor in the current part of the story I was reading without thinking too hard about the over-all plot. ( )
  YouKneeK | Dec 9, 2016 |
This one is really special. It’s a satire on Christmas that features Death filling in for the Hogfather (the Discworld Santa) with predictably bad results. This book also introduces us to Bilious, the God of Hangovers, perhaps my favorite Pratchett creation yet ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |

Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the guerilla bookshop
manager know to friends as
'ppint' for asking me, many years
ago, the question Susan asks in
this book. I'm surprised more
people haven't asked it . . .

And to too many absent friends.
Everything starts somewhere, though many physicists disagree.
She'd become a governess. It was one of the few jobs a known lady could do.
And she'd taken to it well. She'd sworn that if she did indeed ever find herself dancing on rooftops with chimney sweeps she'd beat herself to death with her own umbrella.
Time stopped.

But duration continued.
Sometimes, somewhere, somehow, the numbers on the clock did not count.

Between every rational moment were a billion irrational ones.

IT'S THE NIGHT BEFORE HOGSWATCH. AND IT’S TOO QUIET.

Where is the big jolly fat man? Why is Death creeping down chimneys and trying to say Ho Ho Ho? The darkest night of the year is getting a lot darker…

Susan the gothic governess has got to sort it out by morning, otherwise there won’t be a morning. Ever again…

The 20th Discworld novel is a festive feast of darkness and Death (but with jolly robins and tinsel too).

As they say: 'You’d better watch out…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061059056, Mass Market Paperback)

What could more genuinely embody the spirit of Christmas (or Hogswatch, on the Discworld) than a Terry Pratchett book about the holiday season? Every secular Christmas tradition is included. But as this is the 21st Discworld novel, there are some unusual twists.

This year the Auditors, who want people to stop believing in things that aren't real, have hired an assassin to eliminate the Hogfather. (You know him: red robe, white beard, says, "Ho, ho, ho!") Their evil plot will destroy the Discworld unless someone covers for him. So someone does. Well, at least Death tries. He wears the costume and rides the sleigh drawn by four jolly pigs: Gouger, Tusker, Rooter, and Snouter. He even comes down chimneys. But as fans of other Pratchett stories about Death (Mort, Reaper Man, and Soul Music) know, he takes things literally. He gives children whatever they wish for and appears in person at Crumley's in The Maul.

Fans will welcome back Susan, Death of Rats (the Grim Squeaker), Albert, and the wizardly faculty of Unseen University, and revel in new personalities like Bilious, the "oh god of Hangovers." But you needn't have read Pratchett before to laugh uproariously and think seriously about the meanings of Christmas. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:02 -0400)

As a first step in destroying humanity, evil men in Discworld try to undermine belief in Hogfather by abducting him. The plot is ruined by Death who takes Hogfather's place in his sleigh drawn by pigs. Part parody of Christmas, part meditation on the role of faith.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,516,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible