Pyramids by Terry Pratchett

Pyramids (original 1989; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:herzogbr
Title:Pyramids
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Library Book
Tags:library book, scifi, sci-fi, science fiction, fantasy, magic, discworld, pyramids, assassins, priests, desert, mummies, kings, library book

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett (1989)

Recently added byprivate library, gchcoisne, mhaar, oddbain, roninsb, Ellemir, bookstuff99, DavidGibson, wetbluepaint

English (77)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (81)
Pyramids (Book 7 in Discworld Series) by Terry Pratchett

★★★

It took a lot to get back into reading. I started many books trying to find one light-hearted enough to keep me occupied but not thinking (I know, I don’t want to think right now). Luckily, I know I can rely on Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series to be an easy read and put a smile on my face. Of course, even this easy 327 page books took me nearly a month to read. Either way it’s a book read and a high-five to me.

All excitement aside that I finished a book, this wasn’t my favorite Discworld book so far. It took me awhile to get into it but again, this could be more about my state of mind instead of the content of the book. I did enjoy the main characters (not as much as some other characters I’ve enjoyed in past Discworld books) within the tale and eventually got into the storyline as well. I enjoyed the historical aspects found on the Egyptian culture with a twist and the family bonds. As usual, Pratchett’s comedic writing was found throughout the book and is what I needed.
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
Pyramids (Book 7 in Discworld Series) by Terry Pratchett

★★★

UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
After graduating from assassin's school, Teppic finds out that his father, pharaoh of their small kingdom, has died and that he must return home and take over the throne. His first big responsibility is to build a suitable pyramid for his father's final resting place, which doesn't quite go as planned. As in all Discworld novels, chaos and silliness abound, but everything basically turns out all right in the end.

I love how well Pratchett knows his history. I also love his running commentary on religion and human nature. I still have problems with how he doesn't always explain some of the more abstract plot devices as well as he could, but that wasn't too bad in this book. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Not my favorite of the Discworlds, but a worthy addition. Enjoyed the main character, Teppec, the assassin who has killed between 0 and 10 people. Parts of this dragged a bit. The kingdom of Djelibeybi was kind of an overused joke. Still, a lot of fun--as always. ( )
  crosbyp | Nov 14, 2015 |
A fun satire that sits somewhat outside the main Discworld storylines. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 8, 2015 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paolini, Pier FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing but stars, scattered across the blackness as though the Creator had smashed the windscreen of his car and hadn't bothered to sweep up the pieces.
All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed.
The ancestors pressed forward, muttering. When you've been dead for hundreds of years, you're not inclined to feel generous to those people who assured you that you were going to have a lovely time.

Pteppic geht nach Ankh-Morpork um Assassine zu werden. Dann wird er Pharao und baut eine Pyramide. Doch dabei gibt es Ärger und er muss feststellen, dass es sehr schwierig ist eine Pyramide zu töten.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020656, Mass Market Paperback)

It's bad enough being new on the job, but Teppic hasn't a clue as to what a pharaoh is supposed to do. After all, he's been trained at Ankh-Morpork's famed assassins' school, across the sea from the Kingdom of the Sun.First, there's the monumental task of building a suitable resting place for Dad -- a pyramid to end all pyramids. Then there are the myriad administrative duties, such as dealing with mad priests, sacred crocodiles, and marching mummies. And to top it all off, the adolescent pharaoh discovers deceit, betrayal -- not to mention aheadstrong handmaiden -- at the heart of his realm.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:59 -0400)

Unlike most teenaged boys, Teppic isn't chasing girls and working at the mall. Instead he's just inherited the throne of the desert kingdom of Djelibeybi-a job that's come a bit earlier than he expected (a turn of fate his recently departed father wasn't too happy about either). It's bad enough being new on the job, but Teppic hasn't a clue as to what a pharaoh is supposed to do. After all, he's been trained at Ankh-Morpork's famed assassins' school, across the sea from the Kingdom of the Sun. First, there's the monumental task of building a suitable resting place for Dad-a pyramid to end all pyramids. Then there are the myriad administrative duties, such as dealing with mad priests, sacred crocodiles, and marching mummies. And to top it all off, the adolescent pharaoh discovers deceit, betrayal-not to mention a headstrong handmaiden-at the heart of his realm.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,012,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible