Pyramids by Terry Pratchett

Pyramids (original 1989; edition 2001)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:herzogbr
Title:Pyramids
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Library Book
Tags:library book, scifi, sci-fi, science fiction, fantasy, magic, discworld, pyramids, assassins, priests, desert, mummies, kings, library book

Pyramids by Terry Pratchett (1989)

Recently added byGalina98, wizardfish, Poelloeinpesae, rudy_morin, sirfurboy, private library, Gesus, mdow, sunfl0w3r

English (73)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (77)
I have a love/hate r'ship with the Discworld books.
I enjoy every encounter I have with Rincewind, the Luggage, and the Librarian.
Carrot is mildly interesting
Bits of concepts throughout the series are clever.
Pretty much the rest of the characters, and books, annoy and/or frustrate me. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Pyramids is a stand alone and the seventh book in the Discworld series. It’s also always been one of my least favorites. I would recommend starting with Guards! Guards!, Going Postal, The Wee Free Men or Small Gods instead.

Teppic was sent off to be trained as an assassin in Ank-Morpork, but now his father’s dead and he’s the pharaoh of a small river kingdom obsessed with pyramids and the past, Djelibeybi. Obviously, this kingdom is inspired by ancient Egypt.

The bit piece characters here were funnier than in some of the previous books, but I think the most interesting character to me is Dios, the high priest for as long as anyone can remember and the voice of Tradition. Teppic himself is alright if rather bland, which is a rather good description of Pyramids compared to the rest of the series. Don’t get me wrong. It’s still funny and it’s certainly better than the first two books, but there’s nothing that makes it stand out.

The main female character (and the only significant one), Ptraci, has the awkward problem of not being needed until the last ten pages. She thus does hardly anything and is even non apparent for large portions of the book. Basically, she fails the sexy lamp test* for everything but the last few pages where she’s needed to give the protagonist a resolution (although not a romantic one). So, all in all not great.

What’s interesting is that I noticed some ideas that would latter be refined in the superior Small Gods. I wonder if Pyramids is what gave him the idea for the later book?

I’d recommend this one to people who are already fans of Discworld.

*Defined as “Can you replace the character with a sexy lamp and still have the story work?”

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 22, 2015 |
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Pros: Interesting characters, unique take on Egyptian pyramids, and just all around good fun.

Cons: I’m not a math person at all, so a bit of the plot was rather murky for me. If this is your first Discworld book, you may feel like you’re missing bits here and there.

What’s not to love about a Discworld book? Terry Pratchett is an absolute genius when it comes to gently poking fun at the world around us. Pyramids has some great lines for Egyptophiles, but also comments on religion, duty, and change. For a book that is so much fun to read, it’s surprisingly thoughtful.

One of the things that I really love about Sir Pratchett’s books is how easy it is for a newcomer to the series to just jump in and begin enjoying Discworld. Starting from the beginning of the series is by no means a requirement, although it does help you understand a bit more of the world as you move through each book.

The characters are also a joy to watch in action. Seeing Teppic trying to come to terms not only with his new identity, godhood and responsibilities as King is fascinating to watch but at the same time very easy to relate to; in some ways it reminds me a bit of a coming-of-age story without the teenage angst. Ptraci the handmaiden is also a bit of an irregular fit in her position, but watching the two grow into their roles as they rub up against each other is a lot of fun to watch.

The secondary characters are just as interesting and fun; just wait until you meet the greatest mathematician on the Disc. Or, for that matter, the administrator of Teppic’s final exam before he returns to Djelibeybi. Every character is a character, and that makes the story an absolute joy to read.

Sir Pratchett has clearly done his homework when it comes to pyramids, and I have to tell you he has the absolute best take on pyramid power that I’ve ever seen. I’m one of those that can get annoyed at the more crackpot origin theories (to put it mildly) but Sir Pratchett has taken them to a new, yet oddly compelling, place. This is one theory I almost wish was true.

That being said, for the pyramids to work the way that they do, mathematics are involved, as well as a good bit of quantum. Neither is really my personal strong point, so one of the plot twists always feels a bit improbable to me because I lack the knowledge to understand the explanations given. As soon as I get past that part of the book, though, it’s all back to fun reading again.

I’d highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a lighter take on ancient Egypt, especially if they don’t mind a few fantasy elements. It’s funny, highly quotable, and downright addictive. I had the worst time not quoting more than I did, but I had to rein myself in because many of the later quotes were spoilers. To be completely honest, I recommend Terry Pratchett to everyone. The man is a genius. Go read one of his books, even if it’s not this one. ( )
  ReneBlock | Feb 14, 2015 |
I've been reading this series in order and I've been enjoying them all. This was no exception. The son of the god king decides to go to Ankh-Morpork and enroll in the school of assassin's to give himself something to do. Shortly after graduating in one piece, his father dies and his godhood is passed on. This draws Teppic back home like a load stone to iron.

After becoming king he asks a lot of questions that the priesthood doesn't want to answer and of course things start causing trouble. Starting with the building of the pyramid for his father. Whose ghost is hanging around trying to get everyone's attention to not put him in one.

Very humourous and lots of poking fun at traditions that are there only because they have always been there, and have no real reason to exist anymore. ( )
  readafew | Jan 14, 2015 |
The seventh installment of Discworld finds Terry Pratchett giving the reader a glimpse into the Kingdom of Djelibeybi and it's Assassin Guild-trained new king, Teppic. The story revolves various themes such as tradition vs. innovation, belief vs. reality, three-dimensional thinking vs. four-dimensional thinking, and what's the deal with pyramids all with a humorous twist.

The two main characters are Teppic, first a prince training to be an assassin only to become king right after finishing his Guild-training, and his father King Teppicymon XXVII, first the god-king of the Old Kingdom then a ghost watching as his body is prepared for his eternal afterlife. The two face their new situations wanting to change things only to find the Chief Priest Dios standing in the way, only for young Teppic to outdo the Priest by ordering the biggest Pyramid ever for his father to catastrophic results when he along with everyone else learns what pyramids actually do.

Besides the father and son duo who dominate the majority of the point-of-view scenes, other secondary characters have several moments to themselves including the aforementioned Dios. However only Dil the chief embalmer really stood out compared to those who technically might be more "important." Unfortunately what was suppose to be the big joke that was foreshadowed throughout the first half of the book turned out to be a dud when it turned out a camel was the greatest mathematician on the Disc.

Overall the general story arc(s) and the humorous, yet catastrophic, events are a fun read even with less than enjoyable secondary characters and the dud "big joke. Pyramids might be a "one-off" in the Discworld series, but it's a fun book. ( )
  mattries37315 | Dec 26, 2014 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ittekot, VenugopalanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paolini, Pier FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing but stars, scattered across the blackness as though the Creator had smashed the windscreen of his car and hadn't bothered to sweep up the pieces.
All assassins had a full-length mirror in their rooms, because it would be a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you were badly dressed.
The ancestors pressed forward, muttering. When you've been dead for hundreds of years, you're not inclined to feel generous to those people who assured you that you were going to have a lovely time.

Pteppic geht nach Ankh-Morpork um Assassine zu werden. Dann wird er Pharao und baut eine Pyramide. Doch dabei gibt es Ärger und er muss feststellen, dass es sehr schwierig ist eine Pyramide zu töten.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061020656, Mass Market Paperback)

It's bad enough being new on the job, but Teppic hasn't a clue as to what a pharaoh is supposed to do. After all, he's been trained at Ankh-Morpork's famed assassins' school, across the sea from the Kingdom of the Sun.First, there's the monumental task of building a suitable resting place for Dad -- a pyramid to end all pyramids. Then there are the myriad administrative duties, such as dealing with mad priests, sacred crocodiles, and marching mummies. And to top it all off, the adolescent pharaoh discovers deceit, betrayal -- not to mention aheadstrong handmaiden -- at the heart of his realm.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:16 -0400)

Unlike most teenaged boys, Teppic isn't chasing girls and working at the mall. Instead he's just inherited the throne of the desert kingdom of Djelibeybi-a job that's come a bit earlier than he expected (a turn of fate his recently departed father wasn't too happy about either). It's bad enough being new on the job, but Teppic hasn't a clue as to what a pharaoh is supposed to do. After all, he's been trained at Ankh-Morpork's famed assassins' school, across the sea from the Kingdom of the Sun. First, there's the monumental task of building a suitable resting place for Dad-a pyramid to end all pyramids. Then there are the myriad administrative duties, such as dealing with mad priests, sacred crocodiles, and marching mummies. And to top it all off, the adolescent pharaoh discovers deceit, betrayal-not to mention a headstrong handmaiden-at the heart of his realm.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,870,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible