Wintersmith (2006)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Roman du Disque-Monde (tome 4), Discworld: Tiffany Aching (3), Discworld: Young Adult (4), Discworld (35)

When witch-in-training Tiffany Aching accidentally interrupts the Dance of the Seasons and awakens the interest of the elemental spirit of Winter, she requires the help of the six-inch-high, sword-wielding, sheep-stealing Wee Free Men to put the seasons aright.

English (130)  German (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (138)
The third book in the Tiffany Aching series in Discworld - now she's about 13, and is in training with another witch (actually, we see her training with a couple of witches in this book) and she gets herself into trouble - she puts herself into a story that isn't hers - and, being Tiffany Aching, she sees her wait out of trouble again, with the help of her many friends.
  GretchenLynn | Aug 30, 2020 |
Wintersmith - Pratchett -
Audio performance by Steven Briggs
3 stars

This is the third of Pratchett’s books about the young witch, Tiffany Aching. Tiffany is much put-upon as a witch in training when she impulsively inserts herself into the Dark Dance between Summer and Winter. Tiffany is coming of age and into her feminine power. This is a book that I would be happy to pass on to any girl in middle school. Tiffany is a strong character, who has all the usual growing pains despite her magical talents. The tug of war with the Wintersmith was a bit tedious for me. Although, with a bit of Pratchett irony, Tiffany does prove that she is no snowflake. I also appreciated the way Tiffany dealt diplomatically ( and compassionately) with the incompetant, snotty, young witch who kept stealing the spotlight.
Beyond my tendency to think in lesson plans when I read juvenile fiction, I was thoroughly entertained by Steven Briggs giving voice to the Nac Mac Feegles. ( )
  msjudy | Aug 21, 2020 |
IMO, the YA label does Pratchett’s Tiffany Aching series a disservice – not because I don't think the younger crowd will enjoy it but because it might keep us older adults from reading it too. This one is definitely my favorite so far. It's a well-paced mix of humor and insightful glimpses into human nature with just a touch of romance. And who else but Terry Pratchett could stage the Greek myth of Orpheus with a cast of wee blue men and get away with it? ( )
  wandaly | Jul 23, 2020 |
How very, very interesting.

When I read these novels the first time, I never paid much attention to anything over and above the worldbuilding or character development going on across all the novels or within individual ones. And honestly, that IS enough, with all the humor, classy fantasy, and heart going on.

In this novel, we have the classic tale of Orpheus and Euridice and/or Persephone and Hades. It's winter and summer, yo! But with Tiffany Aching doing a bit of a dance and having to deal with a pretty nice boy who happens to be an elemental.

But on this read, and having more of Terry Pratchett's life in my sights, and especially how the very last novels brought his decline and saying goodbye to the fore, something snuck up on me and bit me in the ass.

This was published in 2006. Terry Pratchett announced to the world how he had a rare form of Alzheimer’s in 2007. I wasn't expecting ANYTHING hinky as I re-read this book, but damn if it didn't catch me anyway.

This book has many hints in it that he was fully aware of his condition. He even spends a lot of his time working out his position, his feelings, and how he intended to fight. Almost the entire novel lends itself to a very clear personal interpretation, from the obvious elements of going into the underworld to losing one's memory and the even more obvious connection to perception and preoccupation with perception. The diagnosis WAS about his atrophying visual cortex. And of course, he was contemplating his eventual death, coming to grips with it.

So what do we think now about the witch who became a myth of herself?

Ah, yes, indeed, Mr. Terry.

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Good but not great Discworld novel. The upside is that you definitely know what you are going to get, but that's also the downside. It is difficult to be surprising and novel, but he brings his usual whimsy and weirdness and makes it worth the read. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the storm came, it hit the hills like a hammer.
'And he won her freedom by playing beautiful music,' Roland added. 'I think he played a lute, or maybe it was a lyre.' 'Ach, wheel, that'll soot us fine,' said Daft Wullie. 'We're experts at looting and then lying aboot it.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,716,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible