Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

Wintersmith (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Wintersmith
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi Books (2009), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett (2006)

English (116)  German (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (123)
Must have read this one before but couldn't remember a thing about it. Have an extra half star. A comfortable and familiar world, entertaining and interesting. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
I love Terry Pratchett. I especially love all of the Wee Free Men series. I mean, come on, how can you beat a bunch of little blue men who are a cross between leprechauns, smurfs, and gremlins? Tiffany Aching is a lovable heroine, as well. And the way she describes witching, I almost believe I could do it myself, if only I had a pointy hat... ( )
  SoubhiKiewiet | Mar 20, 2018 |
The turn of the seasons seems like a dance orchestrated by nature to be both seamless and purposeful, but what if someone cuts in when she isn’t supposed to? Wintersmith is the 35th book of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series and the third in the subseries featuring witch-in-training Tiffany Aching. Unfortunately for Tiffany she finds out that when you succumb to the rhythm of the music, you find yourself in a Story and have to see it through.

Tiffany has been training with 113-year old Miss Treason, who uses subtle “special effects” to impress people, when she is taken to witness the dark morris one night. The dance that welcomes the winter draws on Tiffany and she joins in, unfortunately she comes face to face with the Wintersmith—winter himself—and he falls in love with her believing she is the Summer Lady. The problem is as time progresses, Tiffany starts exhibiting traits of the Summer Lady while the Wintersmith believes to successfully woo her, he must become human. Unfortunately Miss Treason isn’t able to help Tiffany through things as she passes away and Tiffany goes to train with Nanny Ogg as well has help Annagramma figure out how to be an actual witch in taking over for Miss Treason. In the end, Tiffany realizes she has finish things with the Wintersmith with a kiss to finish the dance.

Throughout last several books in the Discworld series, Pratchett has delved into various themes that touch upon real world issues except in the Aching books. Like the previous two books of Tiffany’s subseries, Wintersmith focuses on characters, world-building, and plotting. Although a tad older Tiffany’s continued development is seen throughout, Pratchett spends time growing the character of Annagramma while also enhancing the reputation of Granny Weatherwax. Even though this is the 34th book in the series, Pratchett is still able to world-build the Disc with elemental forces and psychological dispositions of people in various parts which are different and also the same. And finally the plotting which was well executed writing that began with a bang then suddenly took you to the quiet beginning of the story and progressing steady as you waited to find out how Tiffany was going to “end the story”.

The Tiffany Aching subseries is Pratchett giving young adults an introduction to the Disc with is interwoven strains of fantasy and humor. Wintersmith is a fun, easy read that gives even adults a fresh look at their favorite series. ( )
  mattries37315 | Dec 19, 2017 |
Wintersmith, the elemental spirit of winter, falls in love with Tiffany Aching.

Creepy, with horror lurking just below the surface, and yet funny as well. Top form Pratchett, except that I still don't like Tiffany Aching. She is more of a didactic device or good example than a real character. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Aug 18, 2017 |
Wintersmith is the third book in the Tiffany Aching subseries of Discworld. In this book, Tiffany has made a mistake that has put not only herself but also everybody she knows, and a whole bunch of people she doesn’t know, in danger.

There really isn’t too much I can say about this book that I haven’t already said about the previous two. I’m still really enjoying the series, and I still really like the characters in it. In this book, two of my favorite characters from previous books got a decent amount of page time, so I was especially happy about that. And how could anybody not love the idea of Granny Weatherwax with a little, white kitten? ( )
  YouKneeK | Apr 19, 2017 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paracchini, FabioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stengel, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the storm came, it hit the hills like a hammer.
'And he won her freedom by playing beautiful music,' Roland added. 'I think he played a lute, or maybe it was a lyre.' 'Ach, wheel, that'll soot us fine,' said Daft Wullie. 'We're experts at looting and then lying aboot it.'

When the Spirit of Winter takes a fancy to Tiffany Aching, he wants her to stay in his gleaming, frozen world. Forever. It will take the young witch's skill and cunning, as well as help from the legendary Granny Weatherwax and the irrepressible Wee Free Men, to survive until Spring. Because if Tiffany doesn't make it to Spring—

—Spring won't come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:06 -0400)

When witch-in-training Tiffany Aching accidentally interrupts the Dance of the Seasons and awakens the interest of the elemental spirit of Winter, she requires the help of the six-inch-high, sword-wielding, sheep-stealing Wee Free Men to put the seasons aright.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,423,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible