Wintersmith (Discworld) by Terry Pratchett

Wintersmith (Discworld) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Terry Pratchett

Info:HarperCollins (2007), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:december, read in 2012

Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, jjpb, varneynz, DJ_Cliffe, KeithUnderdown, dcpoc1985, Kat_Hooper, Spyderweb, sandragon
British (28) children (23) children's (57) comedy (38) Discworld (719) ebook (23) fantasy (1,011) fiction (459) hardcover (44) humor (361) magic (74) Nac Mac Feegle (67) novel (39) own (27) Pratchett (149) read (64) satire (50) science fiction (46) series (43) sf (27) sff (52) Tiffany Aching (211) to-read (40) unread (26) Wee Free Men (34) winter (52) witches (207) YA (99) young adult (135) young adult fiction (26)

English (101)  German (2)  French (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
Originally, this was the first Tiffany book I read. For this challenge, I decided to re-read the books, for the most part in order. Since I first read Wintersmith when it was first published; it was a little more difficult to follow along with comments about her previous adventures. Pratchett had done a fine job with the novel, but now after reading them in order- the books are much more clever.

This is a perfect book to read on the edge of winter- wishing for summer. In short the book deals with stories, and the magic of the changing seasons. It also deals with first crushes- in its own, Pratchett way. We learn more about Tiffany's schooling as a witch, and as with the other novels, she is growing up. Young teenage girls I think will enjoy how clever Tiffany is, and I think some of them have faced some of the everyday challenges Tiffany as gone through. ( )
  DeweyEver | Mar 6, 2014 |
3.5 stars

This is the third book in the Tiffany Aching series. Tiffany is now 13 years old and learning to be a witch. She just can't help herself when she steps in to dance a dance she should only be watching. This results in the Wintersmith (who controls winter) falling for her and pursuing her to marry him! Unfortunately, during all this, Tiffany's teacher knows she will die - she knows the day and time. Tiffany is not old enough to take over the cottage and take care of everyone in the nearby village, so arrangements must be made, even though what is worked out really isn't ideal.

I am still enjoying this series. The Nac Mac Feegles aren't in this one as much as I remember them from the others in the series and they are a lot of fun, but even without them as much, I did enjoy this story. It wasn't fast-paced, but being a YA book, it was still fast to read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 20, 2014 |
Prepare yourself for winter is coming, and it is going to be cold, *very* cold. And it is all Tiffany's fault. Our adorable witch to be got carried away and now the spirit of winter is smitten with her. Our wee big hag must find a way to let him down gracefully before everyone freezes to death ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Dec 22, 2013 |
I enjoyed Wintersmith, the third book in the Tiffany Aching series immensely. It took me over a week to read it as I kept it at work as a balm for my heart. It does get annoying dealing with know-it-alls for twelve hours five days a week. Terry Pratchett did more than provide me with entertainment and distraction in Wintersmith.
Tiffany’s peer Annagramma is exactly like the insufferable woman I work with. Annagramma was introduced in A Hat Full of Sky, the second in the series. She is the prize student of Granny Weatherwax’s rival Mrs. Earwig.
I loathe trying to train someone at my job when they claim to know everything. Thanks to Tiffany, I now have these handy tips in the future.
“You know how to prepare placebo root, do you?”
“Of course. Every one knows that.”
I learned instead of asking them to show you, which would result in them pretending to be tired or calling in for “having a bad day”, this is what you should do:
“Good, watch me and see if I’m doing it right.”
My Coworker Annagramma would then say “Of course.”
Pratchett had this spot on. People do tend to have faith in people who only pretend they know everything when in actuality they do not have a clue.
The characters were delightful as usual. I busted my gut laughing at Miss Tick’s antics. Granny Weatherwax is unrivalled in her awesomeness.
Tiffany gets in a jam after she steps in and dances with the Wintersmith. He now thinks he is in love with poor Tiffany and embarrasses her by making tiny snowflakes in her image.
  peptastic | Dec 10, 2013 |
Another highly enjoyable part of the Tiffany Aching tale. I liked this bok better then 'A hat full of sky', but I didn't think it was as good as 'Wee Free Men'. Perhaps because in 'Wee Free Men' the concept of the NacMac Feegles was completely and hilariously new to me and now the novelty and surprise have worn off a bit. (Not that they aren't funny, anymore. Crivens!) ( )
  Moriquen | Oct 4, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mayer, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When the storm came, it hit the hills like a hammer.

When the Spirit of Winter takes a fancy to Tiffany Aching, he wants her to stay in his gleaming, frozen world. Forever. It will take the young witch's skill and cunning, as well as help from the legendary Granny Weatherwax and the irrepressible Wee Free Men, to survive until Spring. Because if Tiffany doesn't make it to Spring—

—Spring won't come.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:51 -0400)

When witch-in-training Tiffany Aching accidentally interrupts the Dance of the Seasons and awakens the interest of the elemental spirit of Winter, she requires the help of the six-inch-high, sword-wielding, sheep-stealing Wee Free Men to put the seasons aright.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible