Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett

Lords and Ladies (1992)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld (14), Discworld: Witches (4)

7,25277491 (4)171

English (69)  Spanish (1)  Polish (1)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All (75)
'bout time Magrat gets married. and Elves as the badguys and witches as the good guys, well, that is an interesting perspective. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A glimpse of Granny Weatherwax's pre-granny life! My favorite, Ponder Stibbons, finds himself in Lancre. There was so much to love.

There’s an uppity girl making trouble in Granny’s backyard. She has no respect for real witchcraft and has made a deal with the devil (well, okay, the elves) for “real power”. But elves, the Lords and Ladies of the title, are not coming to Discworld in humanity’s best interests. How can Granny and Nanny Ogg, and yes, even Magrat and Ponder, stop them? And why does the Archchancellor have a crop circle on his head?

The discussions of alternate timelines were great, as always, and give me hope when I make a wrong decision in this timeline. I loved to hear about Esme Weatherwax’s younger days. This book felt a little cluttered and the plot was somewhat slower than I have come to expect from Pratchett. But enjoyable nonetheless. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
July 9 2007

ahhh. That's a good un.

***

July 15 2014

What we have here is: A Midsummer Night's Dream, an impending apocalypse (by elves), a young, rather soppy, witch's efforts to find a place for herself as a Queen of Lancre, the courting of Nanny Ogg, and a romantic backstory for Granny Weatherwax. And jokes.

Magrat's a bit hard to love. The elder witches don't give her an easy time, and don't have much respect for her methodology. Nor does she get more respect as the soon-to-be-queen, although she does have to wear more unpleasant clothes, and she's limited to doing tapestry, for the most part. She's as practical as Susan, but utterly lacking in Susan's confidence. Ah, well, she finds some iron to stiffen her spine.

And Greebo makes an appearance.

Personal copy.
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Lords and Ladies is the fourth book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous two Witches books. I thought the humor, while present, wasn’t nearly as strong as it was in the last two.

I think the humor seemed weaker because our main characters (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, of course!) were often off doing separate things, and a big part of what makes me laugh in these books comes from dialogue between Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. On the other hand, Magrat actually had some decent moments in this book, although I expect she’ll continue to annoy me more often than not in future books.

The story was pretty interesting, though, and I thought it was one of the stronger stories I’ve read so far in the Discworld series. To clarify, I don’t really consider any of the Discworld stories to be that strong so I’m not saying this is a story that will keep people on the edge of their seats, but it did hold my interest. I’m not sure how to describe what this one is about without spoiling the not-entirely-unexpected-but-still-interesting reveal about who the antagonists are, so I’ll just be vague and say that some wannabe young witches meddle with things they don’t understand and help certain unexpectedly evil and malicious beings gain a foothold into the world. ( )
  YouKneeK | Sep 5, 2016 |
I'm just not a huge fan of Discworld. Lots of wit, some of it to my taste, but if there's substance it escapes me - at least in this book. Some of the other entries in the series are more interesting and so I do keep trying to keep up. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now read on . . .
When does it start?
There are very few starts.
In front of her [Nanny Ogg] the cat Greebo, glad to be home again, lay on his back with all four paws in the air, doing his celebrated something-found-in-the-gutter impersonation.
'I learned my craft from Nanny Gripes,' said Granny Weatherwax, 'who learned it from Goody Heggety, who got it from Nanna Plumb, who was taught it by Black Aliss, who --'

'So what you're saying is,' said Diamanda, loading the words into the sentence like cartridges in a chamber, 'that no one has actually learned anything new?'
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvelous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
THE FAIRIES ARE BACK – BUT THIS TIME THEY DON’T JUST WANT YOUR TEETH…

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It’s Midsummer Night.

No times for dreaming…

With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061056928, Mass Market Paperback)

Although they may feature witches and wizards, vampires and dwarves, along with the occasional odd human, Terry Pratchett's bestselling Discworld novels are grounded firmly in the modern world. Taking humorous aim at all our foibles, each novel reveals our true character and nature.

It's a dreamy midsummer's night in the Kingdom of Lancre. But music and romance aren't the only things filling the air. Magic and mischief are afoot, threatening to spoil the royal wedding of King Verence and his favorite witch, Magrat Garlick. Invaded by some Fairie Trash, soon it won't be only champagne that's flowing through the streets ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:49 -0400)

Elves threaten the human kingdom of Lancre and the wedding between King Verence and witch Magrat Garlick, and it is up to three witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, to save the day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,208,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible