Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett

Lords and Ladies (original 1992; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

6,63761567 (4)152
Member:justjim
Title:Lords and Ladies
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (2005), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Discworld

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (1992)

English (57)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
Come sempre Pratchett non si smentisce. I suoi libri sono sempre un po' meno "leggeri" ma il divertimento è assicurato. ( )
  Iacopo.Venni | Nov 14, 2014 |
I loved this book, it is in my top five for Pratchett books I've read so far. I couldn't put it down, and usually with Pratchett I have to take some breaks. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 27, 2014 |
This is another excellent Discworld novel and perhaps Pratchett's best effort at character development. By the end of the book, you feel like you've really gotten to know Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Mustrum Ridcully, Magrat Garlick, the Ogg brothers, and various others. Well done, Sir Terry!

In this book, one of the Witches series, Magrat has quit her witching ways and is about to marry the King and become Queen of Lancre. Except she finds that it's boring being a queen and she misses being a witch. Meanwhile, these young witch wannabees are doing things they shouldn't be doing and open up a door to this world from another in which evil elves -- not the cute ones we envision -- appear to wreak havoc and even kill. The elves' queen is determined to take over and it's everything Granny and Nanny can do to stop her. Along the way, there's actually romance for the older witches (and a wizard and dwarf), a lot of phallic jokes, standard Pratchett humor, a funny scene when meek Magrat goes off and takes on the elves herself with a crossbow and sword. Even though this is one of the Witch series books, I think it could probably stand on its own, although I also think it would help to have read several others so that you're already familiar with some of the characters, such as Unseen University's Librarian, who's in Lancre with some other wizards for the wedding. This is actually kind of a dark book for Pratchett, humor withstanding, and free will is a topic that's explored here. I can find no fault with this book and I definitely recommend it. ( )
  scottcholstad | Oct 17, 2014 |
In Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett the witches of Lancre return from their travels to find that a lot has been going on in their absence. Magrat finds that her boyfriend, the king, has been arranging their wedding before even proposing to her. There's also a new group of young witches who are experimenting with magic without really knowing what they are doing. With Magrat busy with her wedding plans and trying to learn how to be a queen, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg must put a stop to this new young coven and undo the damage they've done.

This book is a hilarious parody that is a mix of The Taming of the Shrew and A Midsummer Night's Dream. It made me laugh a lot and I'd highly recommend it. Lords and Ladies takes place after Witches Abroad and while I would recommend reading that book first to understand some of the references, it's not entirely necessary. It might also help to be at least somewhat familiar with the Shakespearian plays mentioned and have some basic knowledge of quantum theories, but again it's not entirely necessary to enjoy this book. ( )
  Kythe42 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett is the fourteenth Discworld novel. It is one of many elf books I've been reading in recent months. It hasn't been a planned thing, just a recurring theme.

Magrat has a wedding to plan and lots of queenly duties to learn. She has decided to give up being a witch (though in Discworld that's easier said, than done). Meanwhile, somethings afoot at the Dancers — Lancre's Stonehenge.

Granny Weatherwax knows who is coming through and she tries to warn the others. Unfortunately everyone has forgotten the truth behind the stories and the meaning of the stones. And so into the chaos of a royal wedding, the lords and ladies make their escape.

In reading the witch stories after reading the Tiffany Aching books, I can see how they were the blue prints. Lords and Ladies felt like a mixture of Wee Free Men and I Shall Wear Midnight, especially when comparing nervous, pre-Queen Magrat to confident, Queen Magrat. There is also Granny Weatherwax's first attempt to communicate with a hive of bees. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 29, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now read on . . .
When does it start?
There are very few starts.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, organizations, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address Harper Paperbacks, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

First Harper paperback printing: October 2008
First HarperTorch paperback printing: November 2002
First HarperCollins paperback printing: October 1996
First HarperCollins trade paperback printing: October 1995
In front of her [Nanny Ogg] the cat Greebo, glad to be home again, lay on his back with all four paws in the air, doing his celebrated something-found-in-the-gutter impersonation.
'I learned my craft from Nanny Gripes,' said Granny Weatherwax, 'who learned it from Goody Heggety, who got it from Nanna Plumb, who was taught it by Black Aliss, who --'

'So what you're saying is,' said Diamanda, loading the words into the sentence like cartridges in a chamber, 'that no one has actually learned anything new?'
THE FAIRIES ARE BACK – BUT THIS TIME THEY DON’T JUST WANT YOUR TEETH…

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It’s Midsummer Night.

No times for dreaming…

With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061056928, Mass Market Paperback)

Although they may feature witches and wizards, vampires and dwarves, along with the occasional odd human, Terry Pratchett's bestselling Discworld novels are grounded firmly in the modern world. Taking humorous aim at all our foibles, each novel reveals our true character and nature.

It's a dreamy midsummer's night in the Kingdom of Lancre. But music and romance aren't the only things filling the air. Magic and mischief are afoot, threatening to spoil the royal wedding of King Verence and his favorite witch, Magrat Garlick. Invaded by some Fairie Trash, soon it won't be only champagne that's flowing through the streets ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:26 -0400)

Elves threaten the human kingdom of Lancre and the wedding between King Verence and witch Magrat Garlick, and it is up to three witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, to save the day.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible