Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett

Lords and Ladies (original 1992; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

6,55857579 (4)145
Member:justjim
Title:Lords and Ladies
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (2005), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Discworld

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (1992)

Recently added byahef1963, pcollins, private library, mathsie, rnbrumfield, dafinker

English (53)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
This review has pictures in it. To see the full review please see the review in Goodreads or Booklikes.

This book is very, very loosely based upon Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night Dream, and to be honest with you if he had not told me at the beginning of the book and at the end of the book I probably would not have realised it. The reason that I say that is because when I say loosely I mean really loosely. In fact the only thing about the book that seems to be connected to the play is that a group of working class people go a rehearse a play in the woods and get caught up in faerie land. The thing is that Pratchett did not use faeries in the story but rather elves, and I think that is were the problems arise because in the Shakespeare play faeries were used (and they are not very nice people in the play, in the same way that elves are no very nice people in this book), though in essence there is actually little difference between them in mythology (except for maybe their origin – elves come from Scandinavia while faeries come from the bottom of the garden).
Anyway, when we think of elves we usually think of this:

[Picture - Elves from Lord of the Rings]

or this:

[Picture - Santa's Elves]

when in reality they should more look like this:

[Picture - Evil Elf]

Now, Pratchett actually addresses this in his story through the use of this idea called glamour, but also through the idea that our memory usually hides the horrid stuff in our life and replaces it with good and nice stuff. The thing is that he is actually quite correct with that and there are plenty of psychological treatises that deal with the idea of suppressed memories. In Lord and Ladies we have this idea in that over time the really bad thing about the elves is forgotten and the only memories that remain are of good and beautiful things. Still there are aspects of their bad side that are left behind, such as the horseshoes (which are wards against the elves because they are made of iron and elves hate iron), that people actually forget the reason as to why they are there, but keep them there because they have been doing so for centuries and see no reason why they should stop.
Now, the idea of beauty is explored in this story, and that is through the concept of glamour. This is something that is very much the case in our world, namely that people equate beauty with goodness and if you are beautiful then you are automatically considered good. Isn't it funny that a lot of the villains in much of our literature are portrayed as being ugly. For instance, consider this guy:

[Picture - Dr Evil from Austin Powers]

Okay, this is taken from a comedy movie, but this is still my case in point. Or, to point to something a little more serious, consider this guy:

[Picture - Goblin King from the Hobbit]

As you can see, both of these characters are villains, and both of these characters are ugly. Okay, not all villains are ugly, but generally when we create a villain, one of the aspects of the villain is the fact that they are repulsive. However, why is it that we always equate evil with ugliness and beauty with goodness. For instance, with this particular person:

[Picture - Paris Hilton]

what is the first thing that comes into your mind? I bet you that it has nothing to do with villainy. With me, I simply groan and say that I really do not want to have anything to do with that person or the company that she represents (though I have been told that she has been cut out of the will). However, I guess my idea of beauty has moved on significantly from that of your average teenager. My concept of beauty simply cannot be portrayed in a picture because you simply cannot portray the beauty of the soul in a picture. Okay, I could put a picture of my brother up, but the only pictures I have on him are on Facebook, and even then a photo of him simply does not do his beauty justice.
Therefore, if there is a moral of this story, I would simply be that beauty of not skin deep, and if we look a outward beauty, then we are opening ourselves up to an awful lot of grief. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Mar 5, 2014 |
A lovely fantasy with the three witches in the forefront. I wanted this book to go on for ever. Lots of other Discworld stars find their way into this story, even William Shakespeare gets a sort of look-in. Wonderful stuff, maybe one of the best Discworld yarns ever, but don't read this book if you're an elf.... .... .... ( )
  Novak | Sep 18, 2013 |
His sense of humor in this one isn't always hitting the mark, but it's a good story and overall a fun book. ( )
  comfypants | Aug 12, 2013 |
Morris Dancers, Fairies and Witches, what could possibly go wrong? ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
Lords and Ladies, by Terry Pratchett, is an outright giggle-fest. Can't remember the last time I laughed so much while reading -- certainly not a book conducive to inducing somnolence.

We returns to the witches of Discworld, Nanny Ogg, Granny Weatherwax and Magrat who is about to become Queen Magrat and finds herself in an identity crisis and bored to distraction. Boredom on Discworld, however, is never lasting ailment as proven by an attempting invasion by the Sidhe.

Full of screamingly funny romance, Pratchett's deft ability as a story-teller, with a touch of social consciousness thrown in. A great summer, or anytime, read. ( )
  fiverivers | Jul 19, 2013 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now read on . . .
When does it start?
There are very few starts.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, organizations, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address Harper Paperbacks, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

First Harper paperback printing: October 2008
First HarperTorch paperback printing: November 2002
First HarperCollins paperback printing: October 1996
First HarperCollins trade paperback printing: October 1995
In front of her [Nanny Ogg] the cat Greebo, glad to be home again, lay on his back with all four paws in the air, doing his celebrated something-found-in-the-gutter impersonation.
'I learned my craft from Nanny Gripes,' said Granny Weatherwax, 'who learned it from Goody Heggety, who got it from Nanna Plumb, who was taught it by Black Aliss, who --'

'So what you're saying is,' said Diamanda, loading the words into the sentence like cartridges in a chamber, 'that no one has actually learned anything new?'
THE FAIRIES ARE BACK – BUT THIS TIME THEY DON’T JUST WANT YOUR TEETH…

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It’s Midsummer Night.

No times for dreaming…

With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061056928, Mass Market Paperback)

Although they may feature witches and wizards, vampires and dwarves, along with the occasional odd human, Terry Pratchett's bestselling Discworld novels are grounded firmly in the modern world. Taking humorous aim at all our foibles, each novel reveals our true character and nature.

It's a dreamy midsummer's night in the Kingdom of Lancre. But music and romance aren't the only things filling the air. Magic and mischief are afoot, threatening to spoil the royal wedding of King Verence and his favorite witch, Magrat Garlick. Invaded by some Fairie Trash, soon it won't be only champagne that's flowing through the streets ...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:26 -0400)

Elves threaten the human kingdom of Lancre and the wedding between King Verence and witch Magrat Garlick, and it is up to three witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, to save the day.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible