Lords and ladies by Terry Pratchett

Lords and ladies (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Terry Pratchett

6,98670517 (4)160
Member:TheoClarke
Title:Lords and ladies
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:London : Corgi, 1993. Paperback.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:20th century, comedy, fantasy, fiction, funny, gone to Sally, humour, imaginary world, novel, paperback, satire, UK author

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (1992)

English (65)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (70)
Another great story from the very much missed Terry Pratchett.
Read this countless times and will do so many more, along with his others. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
The three witches of Lancre, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat Garlick, have returned home after their trip to Genua just as circle time begins (the time when another reality gets close enough to this one for things to cross between the two). While the older witches were gone, a group of young women have been trying to teach themselves "real" witchcraft. Their activities have helped open a door between the two worlds so that the elves who wreaked havoc on Lancre years ago can get through again. Shakespeare fans may notice that the plot has a few similarities to A Midsummer Night's Dream.

The witches are some of my favorite Discworld characters, and Pratchett gets better as he goes. This one isn't one of my favorites, but I still enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I'm afraid this is not up to the standard I have come to expect from Pratchett. It's flaccid, bloated and sparse. As with all Pratchett books it is still oddly a pleasure to read. It follows on from Witches Abroad and you'd probably be well advised to read that first, if not Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters too. It has a similar conceit of Stories, which is wearing a little thin for me this time around. Even Witches Abroad traded on it's characterisation rather than its theme but here much of the strength of that is lost as the witches split up, Magrat undergoes a transformation and Weatherwax is offstage for much of the happenings. In fact, a lot of the interesting bits are offstage in this book ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 17, 2015 |
I said to Brian the other week 'oh, Small Gods, that's my favourite Pratchett!' and he said 'oh, I thought you said it was Lords and Ladies', and I said 'oh, that's wrong'. But reconsidering, it was probably right after all.

What do I love about this book, which I think is a strong contender for my favourite book by my favourite author? Well, it's an engaging, page turning story, how Lancre defends itself about the attack of the elves. And it's funny, and parody, like all Pratchett. But really...

...it's about the themes, themes that resonate and ring true and comfort and help. The main one Granny Weatherwax's story, worrying she is near to death, and looking at all she has sacrificed and never had. The Queen's barb of 'I could show you Grandmother Weatherwax'. And the comfort of the trousers of time, the thousands of Granny Weatherwaxes, some of them happy, and this one happy too. Also the burning call that 'the price of being the best is always having to be the best'. Also, Magrat, being squeezed into boxes, but in the boxes finding a story that not all Queens are wimples and embroidery, married in her chainmail and tatted muddy silk, having realized the strength in her core...

Love this book, and love coming back to it. You can't cross the same river twice... Yes you can, there's a bridge. And this book is one of the bridges. ( )
  atreic | Oct 14, 2015 |
The Lancre coven return home in time for Magrat Garlick's wedding, which is a surprise to her, and to find certain "Lords and Ladies" wanting to crash the event. Terry Pratchett returns to Discworld as the witches face off with faeries trying to make their way back into reality as Magrat tries to figure out how to be a Queen after finding her career as witch not going well while Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg just continue on with their witchy ways.

Having found the previous two witches books (Wyrd Sisters and Witches Abroad) not particularly to my liking compared to other Discworld installments, I was a bit hesitant when starting this book however that changed as Pratchett's story unfolded. Following not only the perspectives of the three witches but also Magrat's betrothed King Verence, two of Nanny's sons Jason and Shawn, and numerous wizards from the Unseen University. The use of magical quantum mechanics is better explained than "mirror magic" in Witches Abroad and feels like it is worked into the plot easier throughout the book. The main antagonist once against has a history with Granny, but this time the Faerie Queen and her minions just come off as more real than other antagonists the witches have faced. But the biggest thing that made this book better than the previous witches books was the character development of Magrat, who instead of seemingly remaining flat came into her own as the Fair Folk attached Lancre to be a real Queen.

The humor and engaging story of "Lords and Ladies" makes this one of the best Discworld books that I've read and major improvement over both Wyrd Sisters and Witches Abroad. If future Witches books by Pratchett are up to the standards of "Lords and Ladies" then I can't wait to read them. ( )
1 vote mattries37315 | Jul 6, 2015 |

[None]
[None]
Now read on . . .
When does it start?
There are very few starts.
In front of her [Nanny Ogg] the cat Greebo, glad to be home again, lay on his back with all four paws in the air, doing his celebrated something-found-in-the-gutter impersonation.
'I learned my craft from Nanny Gripes,' said Granny Weatherwax, 'who learned it from Goody Heggety, who got it from Nanna Plumb, who was taught it by Black Aliss, who --'

'So what you're saying is,' said Diamanda, loading the words into the sentence like cartridges in a chamber, 'that no one has actually learned anything new?'
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvelous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
THE FAIRIES ARE BACK – BUT THIS TIME THEY DON’T JUST WANT YOUR TEETH…

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It’s Midsummer Night.

No times for dreaming…

With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061056928, Mass Market Paperback)

Although they may feature witches and wizards, vampires and dwarves, along with the occasional odd human, Terry Pratchett's bestselling Discworld novels are grounded firmly in the modern world. Taking humorous aim at all our foibles, each novel reveals our true character and nature.

It's a dreamy midsummer's night in the Kingdom of Lancre. But music and romance aren't the only things filling the air. Magic and mischief are afoot, threatening to spoil the royal wedding of King Verence and his favorite witch, Magrat Garlick. Invaded by some Fairie Trash, soon it won't be only champagne that's flowing through the streets ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:49 -0400)

Elves threaten the human kingdom of Lancre and the wedding between King Verence and witch Magrat Garlick, and it is up to three witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, to save the day.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible