Lords and ladies by Terry Pratchett

Lords and ladies (original 1992; edition 1993)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

7,12975501 (4)163
Member:TheoClarke
Title:Lords and ladies
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:London : Corgi, 1993. Paperback.
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:20th century, comedy, fantasy, fiction, funny, gone to Sally, humour, imaginary world, novel, paperback, satire, UK author

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett (1992)

English (70)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Russian (1)  English (75)
A glimpse of Granny Weatherwax's pre-granny life! My favorite, Ponder Stibbons, finds himself in Lancre. There was so much to love.

There’s an uppity girl making trouble in Granny’s backyard. She has no respect for real witchcraft and has made a deal with the devil (well, okay, the elves) for “real power”. But elves, the Lords and Ladies of the title, are not coming to Discworld in humanity’s best interests. How can Granny and Nanny Ogg, and yes, even Magrat and Ponder, stop them? And why does the Archchancellor have a crop circle on his head?

The discussions of alternate timelines were great, as always, and give me hope when I make a wrong decision in this timeline. I loved to hear about Esme Weatherwax’s younger days. This book felt a little cluttered and the plot was somewhat slower than I have come to expect from Pratchett. But enjoyable nonetheless. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
It started slow and I was beginning to wonder how is it possible that a story with Granny Weatherwax could be like this. Then it picked up a bit and almost until one heart-stopping moment near the end it was just an ok story with occasional brilliant flashes that I have come to expect from a Discworld book.
As usual, Nanny Ogg was hilarious. Granny's out of the character behaviour got a satisfactory explanation.

The lords and ladies are elves and they want to come back. Since they are murdering monsters, it's no wonder there are those who don't agree with the idea. The whole issue is best described in the following: 'Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Elves are bad.'
The jolt I got from that hart-stopping moment near the end was enough to save this story. I thought Pratchett killed one of my favourite characters. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Elves are bad.'
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
July 9 2007

ahhh. That's a good un.

***

July 15 2014

What we have here is: A Midsummer Night's Dream, an impending apocalypse (by elves), a young, rather soppy, witch's efforts to find a place for herself as a Queen of Lancre, the courting of Nanny Ogg, and a romantic backstory for Granny Weatherwax. And jokes.

Magrat's a bit hard to love. The elder witches don't give her an easy time, and don't have much respect for her methodology. Nor does she get more respect as the soon-to-be-queen, although she does have to wear more unpleasant clothes, and she's limited to doing tapestry, for the most part. She's as practical as Susan, but utterly lacking in Susan's confidence. Ah, well, she finds some iron to stiffen her spine.

And Greebo makes an appearance.

Personal copy.
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Lords and Ladies is the fourth book in the Witches subseries of Discworld. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous two Witches books. I thought the humor, while present, wasn’t nearly as strong as it was in the last two.

I think the humor seemed weaker because our main characters (Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, of course!) were often off doing separate things, and a big part of what makes me laugh in these books comes from dialogue between Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg. On the other hand, Magrat actually had some decent moments in this book, although I expect she’ll continue to annoy me more often than not in future books.

The story was pretty interesting, though, and I thought it was one of the stronger stories I’ve read so far in the Discworld series. To clarify, I don’t really consider any of the Discworld stories to be that strong so I’m not saying this is a story that will keep people on the edge of their seats, but it did hold my interest. I’m not sure how to describe what this one is about without spoiling the not-entirely-unexpected-but-still-interesting reveal about who the antagonists are, so I’ll just be vague and say that some wannabe young witches meddle with things they don’t understand and help certain unexpectedly evil and malicious beings gain a foothold into the world. ( )
  YouKneeK | Sep 5, 2016 |

Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Now read on . . .
When does it start?
There are very few starts.
In front of her [Nanny Ogg] the cat Greebo, glad to be home again, lay on his back with all four paws in the air, doing his celebrated something-found-in-the-gutter impersonation.
'I learned my craft from Nanny Gripes,' said Granny Weatherwax, 'who learned it from Goody Heggety, who got it from Nanna Plumb, who was taught it by Black Aliss, who --'

'So what you're saying is,' said Diamanda, loading the words into the sentence like cartridges in a chamber, 'that no one has actually learned anything new?'
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
No one ever said elves are nice.
THE FAIRIES ARE BACK – BUT THIS TIME THEY DON’T JUST WANT YOUR TEETH…

Granny Weatherwax and her tiny coven are up against real elves.

It’s Midsummer Night.

No times for dreaming…

With full supporting cast of dwarfs, wizards, trolls, Morris dancers and one orang-utan. And lots of hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061056928, Mass Market Paperback)

Although they may feature witches and wizards, vampires and dwarves, along with the occasional odd human, Terry Pratchett's bestselling Discworld novels are grounded firmly in the modern world. Taking humorous aim at all our foibles, each novel reveals our true character and nature.

It's a dreamy midsummer's night in the Kingdom of Lancre. But music and romance aren't the only things filling the air. Magic and mischief are afoot, threatening to spoil the royal wedding of King Verence and his favorite witch, Magrat Garlick. Invaded by some Fairie Trash, soon it won't be only champagne that's flowing through the streets ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:49 -0400)

Elves threaten the human kingdom of Lancre and the wedding between King Verence and witch Magrat Garlick, and it is up to three witches, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, to save the day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible