Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Going Postal (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Arch-swindler Moist Van Lipwig never believed his confidence crimes were hanging offenses-until he found himself with a noose tightly around his neck, dropping through a trapdoor, and falling into-a government job? By all rights, Moist should have met his maker. Instead, it's Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork, who promptly offers him a job as Postmaster. Since his only other option is a nonliving one, Moist accepts the position-and the hulking golem watchdog who comes along with it, just in case Moist was considering abandoning his responsibilities prematurely. Getting the moribund Postal Service up and running again, however, may be a near-impossible task, what with literally mountains of decades-old undelivered mail clogging every nook and cranny of the broken-down post office building; and with only a few creaky old postmen and one rather unstable, pin-obsessed youth available to deliver it. Worse still, Moist could swear the mail is talking to him.… (more)
Member:benfulton
Title:Going Postal
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:perky hero

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (2004)

Recently added byandrewdblevins, matt_ar, private library, sigma16, GeekLair, TangledPages, dracul72, Amber93
    Making Money by Terry Pratchett (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Same protagonist, just as fun.
    Thud! by Terry Pratchett (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: One of Pratchett's best Discworld books, a fast paced detective novel set in his fantastic world. There's plenty of wry, satirical social commentary in Thud! as there is in "Going Postal"

English (166)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (174)
This was the first Terry Pratchett novel that I finished. (When I was 13, I tried to read [b:The Color of Magic|34497|The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)|Terry Pratchett|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1168566155s/34497.jpg|194190]. It did not agree with me, but I hope to retry, now being somewhat older and (dubiously) wiser.) ( )
  treehorse | Nov 7, 2019 |
Can Moist von Lipwig revitalize the Post Office in these days of the fast communication of the clacks? I found lots of satirical social commentary in this entry in the Discworld series that feels relevant to today's society (perhaps even more so than when it was written!). ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 30, 2019 |
A confidence trickster (Moist von Lipwig) runs out of luck and is faced with the hangman's noose when the Patrician makes him an offer he can't refuse - the job of Postmaster to a post office system in complete disarray. He finds stacks of letters, mountains of letters, that were never delivered, and they're not happy about it (the letters, that is). There's also the clacks system, run by corrupt businessmen who are essentially killing their workers with their slipshod approach to running and maintaining the towers. Moist's job is to get the post office up and running again, and he decides to take on the big corporate bullies, too, and beat them at their own game.
A solid entry in the Discworld series; I love the new character of Moist (I'm a sucker for the rascally, too-clever-for-his-own-good types) and I hope he shows up again soon. ( )
  electrascaife | Aug 5, 2019 |
Prompted by seeing the television version of Going Postal, I broke off my serious reading schedule to take a brief swing through the Moist books while the weather's so fiendishly hot that a) serious brainage is bad and b) reading the word "moist" every minute is faintly refreshing. Book so much better than TV, Richard Coyle notwithstanding. ( )
1 vote cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
After reading The BFG and being told that Terry Pratchett was a similar writer, I was really looking forward to this book. Unfortunately, for me, it just didn't hold my interest. The first 12 (of 14) chapters just dragged on and on and on. Yes, he developed the characters and expanded upon the story/setting, but for way too long. ( )
  BrannonSG | Jul 12, 2019 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cholewa, Piotr W.Tł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The flotillas of the dead sailed around the world on underwater rivers.
'Can I not?' said Vetinari. 'I am a tyrant. It's what we do.'
'Oh, *please* sue the University!' Ridcully bellowed. 'We've got a *pond* full of people who tried to sue the University--'
'Neither Deluge Nor Ice Storm Nor The Black Silence Of The Netherhells Shall Stay These Messengers About Their Sacred Business. Do Not Ask Us About Sabre-Tooth Tigers, Tar Pits, Big Green Things With Teeth Or The Goddess Czol.'
'What? Funning? I never fun! I do not fun, Miss Maccalariat, and have no history of funning, and even if I were inclined to funning, Miss Maccalariat, I would not dream of funning with you.'
The man going to be hanged had been named Moist von Lipwig by doting if unwise parents, but he was not going to embarrass the name, insofar as that was possible, by being hung under it.

It seems criminals
Are government workers, but
Are they any good?
(espadrile)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,147,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible