Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Going Postal (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Terry Pratchett

Member:twaperrin
Title:Going Postal
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (2004)

Making Money by Terry Pratchett (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Same protagonist, just as fun.
    Thud! by Terry Pratchett (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: One of Pratchett's best Discworld books, a fast paced detective novel set in his fantastic world. There's plenty of wry, satirical social commentary in Thud! as there is in "Going Postal"

English (153)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (160)
My introduction to Discworld, and to Ankh-Morpork, was a TV adaptation of Going Postal, followed by the abridged audiobook of the same. This year I’ve been working my way through the City Watch books, but the next one (Thud!) wasn’t immediately available from the library, and since Going Postal precedes Thud!, this felt like a good time to revisit it by listening to the unabridged audiobook.

It’s witty, satirical and delightfully silly. It made me laugh. I was completely engrossed -- and, yet again, a bit surprised that the story had made me like and sympathise with a dishonest con-man.

Going Postal worked just fine as an introduction to Anhk-Morpork, possibly because Moist himself doesn’t yet have a thorough understanding of the city and its key players. But this time round I enjoyed being able understand more about the situation Moist finds himself in -- Anhk-Morpork makes much more sense now -- and to appreciate references to characters from other books. For instance, I was amused by how much time Moist spent worrying about “the werewolf in the watch”.
I also enjoyed Adora Belle Dearheart’s presence in the story, which I suspect had a bit to do with Briggs’ delivery of her lines.

You are the Postmaster!
“Look, I’m not the One you’re looking for!”
Moist von Lipwig, at a time like this any One will do!
“But…but…I am not worthy!”
Acquire worth with speed, Moist von Lipwig! Bring back the light! Open the doors! Stay not the messengers about their business! [...] Deliver Us!
  Herenya | Jun 8, 2018 |
Moist von Lipwig, fresh off the scaffolds, is offered a job in lieu of a death sentence for his many swindles: become postmaster. This is no small task: unsent letters have been piling up in the post office for decades, and everyone stopped mailing letters when the "clacks" - a sort of visual telegraph - came to be. With the help of a memorable cast of characters, Moist takes it upon himself to save the post office and return it to its former glory, even if he has to return to his old con-artist ways to do it. The whole thing is very fun and very funny, and you don't even have to be familiar with Discworld to enjoy it. (I read the first Discworld book over a decade ago so I was basically coming into it cold.) Definitely recommended. ( )
  melydia | May 12, 2018 |
This was a weird book, a friend gave it to me and I didn't know what to expect. I chuckled a few times and in the end it wasn't too bad. ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
This was excellent! Interesting, creative and funny too! I would like to give some more Discworld novels a shot. Although there are over 40 of them so it could take a while! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 10, 2018 |
While Good Omens is still my favorite Terry Pratchett book, this one has a lot of the same charm and flavor as Good Omens. In Going Postal, a career criminal gets a second chance after he is rescued from the gallows just after his death. He is sent to work as postmaster for the post office, where he must find a way to revive the struggling postal system. He is given a winged hat, a golden suit, and the assistance of a golem and two postal workers who have been going through the motions of tending an increasingly impossible mountain of mail for many years. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cholewa, Piotr W.Tł.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The flotillas of the dead sailed around the world on underwater rivers.
'Can I not?' said Vetinari. 'I am a tyrant. It's what we do.'
'Oh, *please* sue the University!' Ridcully bellowed. 'We've got a *pond* full of people who tried to sue the University--'
'Neither Deluge Nor Ice Storm Nor The Black Silence Of The Netherhells Shall Stay These Messengers About Their Sacred Business. Do Not Ask Us About Sabre-Tooth Tigers, Tar Pits, Big Green Things With Teeth Or The Goddess Czol.'
'What? Funning? I never fun! I do not fun, Miss Maccalariat, and have no history of funning, and even if I were inclined to funning, Miss Maccalariat, I would not dream of funning with you.'
The man going to be hanged had been named Moist von Lipwig by doting if unwise parents, but he was not going to embarrass the name, insofar as that was possible, by being hung under it.

It seems criminals
Are government workers, but
Are they any good?
(espadrile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060502932, Mass Market Paperback)

Suddenly, condemned arch-swindler Moist von Lipwig found himself with a noose around his neck and dropping through a trapdoor into ... a government job?

By all rights, Moist should be meeting his maker rather than being offered a position as Postmaster by Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork. Getting the moribund Postal Service up and running again, however, may prove an impossible task, what with literally mountains of decades-old undelivered mail clogging every nook and cranny of the broken-down post office. Worse still, Moist could swear the mail is talking to him. Worst of all, it means taking on the gargantuan, greedy Grand Trunk clacks communication monopoly and its bloodthirsty piratical headman. But if the bold and undoable are what's called for, Moist's the man for the job -- to move the mail, continue breathing, get the girl, and specially deliver that invaluable commodity that every being, human or otherwise, requires: hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:28 -0400)

Arch-swindler Moist Van Lipwig never believed his confidence crimes were hanging offenses-until he found himself with a noose tightly around his neck, dropping through a trapdoor, and falling into-a government job? By all rights, Moist should have met his maker. Instead, it's Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork, who promptly offers him a job as Postmaster. Since his only other option is a nonliving one, Moist accepts the position-and the hulking golem watchdog who comes along with it, just in case Moist was considering abandoning his responsibilities prematurely. Getting the moribund Postal Service up and running again, however, may be a near-impossible task, what with literally mountains of decades-old undelivered mail clogging every nook and cranny of the broken-down post office building; and with only a few creaky old postmen and one rather unstable, pin-obsessed youth available to deliver it. Worse still, Moist could swear the mail is talking to him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,557,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible